What's new

In general, how are anime/manga fans seen in japan?

4 Aug 2019
I'm not talking about Otaku cuz I'm sure no one has a good view on them. I just mean anime/manga fans in general who enjoy the medium or something

I heard that in Japan manga is read by lots of different types of people. Ripped from Wikipedia.

Demographics
  • josei (女性, "woman"): Anime and manga intended for the adult female demographic.[18]
  • kodomo (子供) or kodomomuke (子供向け): Anime and manga for children.[18]
  • seinen (青年): Anime and manga intended for the adult male demographic.[18][19]
  • shōjo (少女, "young woman"): Anime and manga intended for the adolescent female demographic.[18][19]
  • shōnen (少年, "young man"): Anime and manga intended for the adolescent male demographic.[18][19]

My best guess is that people are accepting of manga and anime in general. The diverse genres could be traced back to a few genius manga artists I heard once.

I'm not talking about Otaku cuz I'm sure no one has a good view on them. I just mean anime/manga fans in general who enjoy the medium or something
What do you mean by "fan"? Someone who reads manga regularly? If so, nobody gives it a second thought.
If you mean somebody who is a fan enough to go see a manga-ka and get his/her signature or something even then people won't think much about it.

What do you mean by "fan"? Someone who reads manga regularly? If so, nobody gives it a second thought.
If you mean somebody who is a fan enough to go see a manga-ka and get his/her signature or something even then people won't think much about it.
Yeah, that.
I mean, they are seen as different from Otaku, correct?

You have to understand that manga (and anime) are simply a medium (i.e. animation and comic books) in Japan and that there can be different degrees of being "a fan".

This is like saying "How are cartoon and comic book fans seen in the U.S. and Canada?"

If you're talking about someone who enjoys the Simpsons/South Park/Family Guy/Rick and Morty/whatever, or likes to read Marvel Comics or graphic novels or whatnot, that's probably going to be seen a as a fairly normal hobby/interest.

If they're obsessed with some cartoon or comic, have action figures or posters or whatever all over, and that's all they ever talk about, that's probably going to be seen as obsessive/nerdy/a bit weird.

Just like your questions on the language, you really need to understand that there is nuance to things like this. There's no one single definition of "an anime/manga fan", and there is no one way in which any given "anime/manga fan" will be perceived by _all_ other people in Japan.

If there is a young to middle-aged Japanese person who is not a fan of some anime or manga, I haven't met him or her. This is like asking how are fans of Hollywood movies viewed in America? Why? Cause you talking about a core of their culture.

But why this obsession about how others are viewed anyway? If they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your movie.

Back
Top Bottom