What's new

Why Final Fantasy Sucks.

i'm playing ffviii now and the storyline isn't coming together for me. there are some nifty parts/scenes, like when squall goes through the emergency exit and fights the soldier in the air, but i feel like i'm missing something. even though i knew squall and rinoa fall in love, it kinda seems to happen all of a sudden, and the story takes some twists even i raise some eyebrows on. it's kinda hard to follow the story when it makes no sense, like when squall walks off with rinoa in a coma and then everyone else comes along, leaving the battle-torn garden defenseless without any of its leaders, and some stuff just seems stupid...it's interesting, but....

ashuri2 said:
i'm playing ffviii now and the storyline isn't coming together for me. there are some nifty parts/scenes, like when squall goes through the emergency exit and fights the soldier in the air, but i feel like i'm missing something. even though i knew squall and rinoa fall in love, it kinda seems to happen all of a sudden, and the story takes some twists even i raise some eyebrows on. it's kinda hard to follow the story when it makes no sense, like when squall walks off with rinoa in a coma and then everyone else comes along, leaving the battle-torn garden defenseless without any of its leaders, and some stuff just seems stupid...it's interesting, but....

That's exactly why I didn't like it...it's really attractive to the eye but when you go into admire the details then it just seems not to be there..know what I mean?

Oi oi oi. Give square a break will ya lol. FFVIII was the first in the series to under go such changes and also square's first proper attempt at mixing love in to the equation.

A lot of criticism of FF8 i hear is that "FF8 is all show, no gameplay/story" or something on the lines of that. I think we say that because we start the habit of comparing, coz i hear/see people whip in any of the 2D *** and say "FF1-6 was all gameplay/story and graphics has nothing to do with it" - well of course, the graphics today are superior so you'd say FF1-6 (just pick any) has no eye-candy.

So hey, i guess all we can do is move with the times and the direction square wants to take. You can only be in the limelight for so long.

I found FF8 not too great either but it still deserves some credit i guess. Give it a try but if you don't like it then it can't be helped i guess which is fine. Peace.

goggles said:
Oi oi oi. Give square a break will ya lol. FFVIII was the first in the series to under go such changes and also square's first proper attempt at mixing love in to the equation.

A lot of criticism of FF8 i hear is that "FF8 is all show, no gameplay/story" or something on the lines of that. I think we say that because we start the habit of comparing, coz i hear/see people whip in any of the 2D *** and say "FF1-6 was all gameplay/story and graphics has nothing to do with it" - well of course, the graphics today are superior so you'd say FF1-6 (just pick any) has no eye-candy.

So hey, i guess all we can do is move with the times and the direction square wants to take. You can only be in the limelight for so long.

I found FF8 not too great either but it still deserves some credit i guess. Give it a try but if you don't like it then it can't be helped i guess which is fine. Peace.

I think Square is just starting to put things out to make money off the Final Fantasy name but like they say...to each their own.

goggles said:

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying ff8 sucks (i'm still playing it, unlike ffx), i'm just saying it tends to take some liberty with the storyline that completely throws me for a loop. now, they had some love going on in ff7 with the whole undeclared love triangle between tifa and aeris and cloud, but it fit in the storyline and made the story better. in this one, it just makes me go, 'huh? what?'

I don't agree with you.

First of all, let me say that ALL games have gone downhill. I have several consoles, psx, ps2, gc, pc, gba, and the one I play most? PSX. Also, Megadrive/SNES. They simply don't make them how they used to, which is inevitable. Back then ideas were fresh, and now they're not, they just have better graphics to compensate. It's the same with movies. Most these days just sell on the effects/actors.

My favourite FF is 7. Sure, ff5, 6 were good, but FF7 also had a very good plot, involving characters, deep storyline but it also had amazing graphics which easily gave it the edge. It was the first 3d FF and it was fantastic.
I don't see the big problem with the plot. I think it's better than VI's. Avalanche, the Shinra, Sephiroth. It's a great plot! Combined with the graphics and the near-perfect battle system and huge amount of hidden stuff, it's easily the best Final Fantasy ever made.

Next we had FF8. The graphics were only marginally better than 7, but the characters were quite different, the plot was more adult and it had a whole new land.

I didn't like 9 so much, but that's not to say it 'sucks'. It had beautiful graphics and a cool set of characters, whole new weapon/magic system.

FF10 I don't consider an RPG. It's more an Adventure game, because it's so linear.

I don't see how you can complain about them being similiar...they're FINAL FANTASY games. Are you gonna complain that Gran Turismo 4 is too much like Gran Turismo 3? The FF legacy has several things consistent throughout the series, we're assured of a well written plot/dialogue, lots of cool monsters, a good battlesystem, cool summons, lots and lots of secrets, and good FMVs. They're all set in different worlds with just vague references to the others. Basically, it does what it says on the tin!

If you're a fan of rpg's, then 99% chance they won't 'suck'.

lol...at this rate final fantasy will never die...they'll just keep making them, and one day our great-great grandchildren will be arguing the same thing. <it's a vicious cycle>.

ashuri2 said:
lol...at this rate final fantasy will never die...they'll just keep making them, and one day our great-great grandchildren will be arguing the same thing. <it's a vicious cycle>.

I have a feeling your right...now I remember Final Fantasy 25 and it was way better than FF 33.6. I mean come-on what were they thinking. I can imagine it already. :D

Areku said:
FF10 I don't consider an RPG. It's more an Adventure game, because it's so linear.

Linearity is just a feature of a game, it doesn't detract from the fact that FFX or any other RPG can't be considered as an RPG right?

Well...a very important aspect of an RPG for me, is that you are free to go places in a flexible fashion, and have some kind of traversable world map.

FF10 doesn't give you much scope to drift from the plot, for example in FF7 and 8, there's lots of other villages/locations/things you can goto/do without advancing the main plot, whereas in FF10 you're more pushed into doing things. Also the game areas are linear, more like an adventure game. There's a path(s) and you have to stick to it. In other FF games, it's usually a fully walkable map and areas. FF10 felt like 'go to this place, do that, go to another place, do that' etc.

I suppose technically it's an rpg, but to me it has too many adventure elements to be considered a true rpg.

When a game is too non-linear, i have this feeling of being lost in the game lol because there are so many things you can do in a non-linear game you get stuck thinking what to do.

As for linear games like FFX, you don't feel lost but you feel constricted so both elements have their pros and cons.

Maybe Square were betting on good story telling to compensate the non-linearity?

goggles said:
Linearity is just a feature of a game, it doesn't detract from the fact that FFX or any other RPG can't be considered as an RPG right?

I agree. After all, Final Fantasy Tactics was a really awesome game that didn't get much advertisement or talk enough. I think it was an excellant game with a unique style and a pretty good story-line too. I especially liked the Cloud character and hidden sword plus all the job classes.

I love the Final Fantasy series. And I cannot wait until Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children comes out!

jeisan said:
ill disagree with that. becuase the same gamers who enjoyed FF2 dont like FFX they havent changed, the games have, therefore the games are indeed catered to a different audience otherewise all the old school gamers would still like them. the older games had something these new ones didnt. i would rather think square is just slipping but i think they are just more interested in selling the game than making it good. FF has sold out.

Amen to that! 👍 I still like FF games enough to play them, but my enjoyment of FF games is declining. I didn't like anything about the 12 hours or so I played FFX-2, and I haven't gotten FFXI for fear of becoming addicted and wasting too much time and money. 😌 I agree with your opinion that Square(-Enix) is more concerned about selling the game than making it good.

Personally my favorite RPGs are all from the SNES era. FFIV, FFVI, Chrono Trigger, there were so many gems! I miss them so much. :( Recently though I started my own RPG project (points to sig) and so far it looks really promising. Check it out if you're interested! 🙂

TwistedMac said:
The clip is from Azumanga Daioh (best anime ever) and i got it from TyPe-ZeRo (another user on this forum)...
he's the guy with the caboose (from red vs blue) avatar. 🙂

i beg to differ... that sounds mostly like an "i heard them before they got famous" comment.. personally i think that's just BS.. but maybe that's just me..

I agree. They will be making these games for a long time so all you whiners better just buck up and kiss it!

i'm a ff fan (ff7, ff8, and ff9,...that's pretty much it and tactics) this title really offends me and I'm not gonna argue or side just letting ya know...

isayhello said:
The FF games don't suck! The best games ever made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *overly excited*

You meant to say Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy VII are the best games ever made. :eek:

Doc:ramen:

VI isn't that good. But VII is, I guess. I love X though, even though it's simple and liear, the characters are sooo good !!! (with japanese voicing, that is)

the english so annoying, its one of the reasons why i got so annoyed at X that i stopped playing!

Back
Top Bottom