What's new

Final Fantasy signs with Microsoft

Winter

Gag me with a spoon
19 Nov 2003
At least, thats what I heard.

Word on the street is Sony is pissed at Square for agreeing to make the next three installments in the series simultaneously for the next gen. Microsoft console.

So angry in fact, that Sony has attempted to file unjustified lawsuits against Square.

Anyone heard about this yet? Pretty sweet if you ask me.

on what street exactly are rumours like these flying around?
must be the cool street.

I don't really give much of a fiddle diddle. if they wanna port it to whatever nintendo machine happens to be "in" at that time aswell, that'd be great though.

Winter, while I haven't heard this one yet, I will offer my opinion...

This could be a bad thing or a good one depending on your views. The possible good that can come from the cross platform release could be that it will grant the game more exposure to a group larger than it's original 'core' audience or those interested in the games that have had to play them on a PC but can't think to break down and buy a console. This can lead to cries of foul from the ultra hardcore, but that can be said of the launch of the X-Box being touted as proof of one of the seven signs that the antichrist would soon appear to signal Bill Gates as the one true being that could destroy the earth and make the Teletubbies into our new gods.

But all the X-Box did was up the level of awareness people had concerning videogames that Sony had started with the PSX and PS2. Not too shabby, I think.

There could be another side to it, however. With a title going multiplatform, there's always a chance that shady and secret side deals can happen that will cause a title to become platform specific for a set period of time. Look at the original Splinter Cell as an example. An X-Box exclusive at first, it pissed a lot of people off that they were unable to play the game on their PS2's and GC's. So, they were forced to buy a new X-Box or face the horrors of the half assed port that came out for the other systems months later.

Personally, I don't think that the game going multi will hurt anybody, I feel that Sony is barking up the wrong tree trying to file for anything. Last I recall, Square never signed a pact in blood with Sony to remain their b!tch for all of eternity. Maybe they feel that Sony has limited developers because of their hardware choices made for the PS2. Perhaps they felt that the jump from PSX to PS2 wasn't all that high and mighty and don't see they PS3 being the return of Christ that Sony wants everyone to believe. Emotion Chip? What was that again? Oh yeah, a marketing ploy similar to MMX technology back in the 166 days of computing.. thanks Intel.

Perhaps they feel that MS had the right idea when making a console, as the X-Box has shown. MS offered a more powerful system with a solid graphics chip, ease of programming for the system (something the PS2 is NOT known for...), a concrete online strategy and a limitless supply of money to market the hell out of the damned thing (unless you are in Japan.)

Perhaps MS felt that having an RPG giant like Square in their stable would get people in Japan excited about having the next generation of their 40 tonne gaming appliance in their homes.

Whatever the reason, it really doesn't matter at this point. We aren't that close yet to having the new X-Box, PS3 or Nintendo machines yet. I would love to see what Square could do with a powerful system running a FF game, but I will take the wait and see approach and hope that you, or anyone found something useful in my post.

Ant

Winter said:
At least, thats what I heard.

Word on the street is Sony is pissed at Square for agreeing to make the next three installments in the series simultaneously for the next gen. Microsoft console.

So angry in fact, that Sony has attempted to file unjustified lawsuits against Square.

Anyone heard about this yet? Pretty sweet if you ask me.

Can you post a real article that shows this is not just a rumour but actual fact?

rumours can be facts too, if you just close your eyes and think really hard and really really want them to be facts.

Meh. I'm still all fangirl over the old school ***, but even though X and X-2 were fun they aren't enough to inspire me to buy a new system for playing future ***. Then there's also the same complaint I had with the N64--holding the controller for more than five minutes or so cramps my hands so badly I can't concentrate on playing. If this happens, I'll just stick to my SNES carts and my PSX discs.

This has to be a rumor. If not, then it would be a pretty dumb mistake. For the fact that Xbox isn't a Japan originated console, the system still isn't as widely bought in Japan compared to their Japan-born Sony and Nintendo counterpart. Now having a Japanese company (SquareEnix) develop Final Fantasy solely for Xbox is quite a dumb move in the business world considering how many hardcore Final Fantasy fans there are in Japan with a PS2 already. If at all, SquareEnix would be more likely developing for Nintendo. If you've ever noticed the the game inventory for the Xbox, it's full of games made by American companies because people in America have lots of Xbox's to know the games will sell. If there are games for Xbox from a Japanese company, most likely that same game was probably developed for another system also.

Keiichi

😊

Eisuke said:
Can you post a real article that shows this is not just a rumour but actual fact?

I heard it from a co-worker at a store I work for. You'll be hardpressed to find a printed article, seeing as the information was apparently illegally leaked out of Sony's legal offices.

TwistedMac, eat sh*t and die.

Moving on, the games wont be for Xbox, they'll be for Microsofts new system slated for next winter season.

The reason why its a good thing for fans of the series, is they wont have to fork over 600 for the new faulty PS3, and on top of that, wont have to invest 80 bucks for the actual games *which is Sony's new starting rate for the new formatted red-laser discs*.

Winter said:
The reason why its a good thing for fans of the series, is they wont have to fork over 600 for the new faulty PS3, and on top of that, wont have to invest 80 bucks for the actual games *which is Sony's new starting rate for the new formatted red-laser discs*.

Actually, I think that Sony is going to be the major pusher of Blu-Ray discs that will run around the same as our standard DVD's now but have more than 30GB worth of information.

Sadly, I feel you are correct in your predictions of a faulty PS3, the last two had major problems... why stop there?

Ant

Winter said:
Moving on, the games wont be for Xbox, they'll be for Microsofts new system slated for next winter season.

Which still doesn't make sense--any XBox2 or whatever will mostly be received just the same in Japan as the first, so why would the Japanese S-E go with MS? Also, Sony knows they can't sell a game system for $600 when a PC can sell for less; and aren't the current systems on a red-laser system? I thought PS3 was a BluRay.

Edit: didn't see the other post already there that mentions the BluRays, although I'm glad I wasn't just imagining that the red laser PS3 was wrong.

Keiichi said:
This has to be a rumor. If not, then it would be a pretty dumb mistake. For the fact that Xbox isn't a Japan originated console, the system still isn't as widely bought in Japan compared to their Japan-born Sony and Nintendo counterpart. Now having a Japanese company (SquareEnix) develop Final Fantasy solely for Xbox is quite a dumb move in the business world considering how many hardcore Final Fantasy fans there are in Japan with a PS2 already. If at all, SquareEnix would be more likely developing for Nintendo. If you've ever noticed the the game inventory for the Xbox, it's full of games made by American companies because people in America have lots of Xbox's to know the games will sell. If there are games for Xbox from a Japanese company, most likely that same game was probably developed for another system also.
Yes, that's pretty much it. While the Xbox does fine in the US, it isn't very popular in Japan, so a great deal more people have a PS2. Switching to Xbox and having the large Japanese FF fandom getting shafted will do no good. Besides, I don't think the Xbox audience wouldn't be that well suited as the PS2 audience. There are mostly games by American companies for the Xbox, so this is what many people expect to get when they buy one, and thus a Japanese title might not sell as well. Besides, I'd say it's not too likely that Square would get together with MS... I think they would rather get together with Nintendo again with whom they already had worked a long time in the Snes age.

thank goodness

Lina Inverse haven't heard from you for a while. Glad your back to put us on the track :(

i read about this at a different site and i saw that as well
i would rather that happen because that means ffxi will be on xbox live maybe...:) and the new ff games will be for pc and xbox that is kool

I don't know, I hate the graphics of XBox. Also, I didn't like FFXI, not on the PC. I only played it on a bad laptop though, coughcam(forkagentsmith)cough. So I would rather see some more stuff we saw from X and X-2 that was soooooo good!!!

^^^^
Why hate the Xbox graphics when they far outclass the graphics of the PS2?

And as much as Microsoft would like for it to happen, this is an absolute crock of bull$#!@ that your coworker must have searched for deep within his ***.
The only company that even has a chance for Square games outside of Sony is Nintendo and we've seen how that's went recently.

Suki-Yaki said:
Lina Inverse haven't heard from you for a while. Glad your back to put us on the track :(
I hadn't left in the first place... I just don't post to this games subsection very often 😌

Don't know, don't care.

Don't know, don't care.

If it's for real, it was probably made to tick people off, so just ignore it.

It should be noted that big time video games publishing is all about politic and propaganda (games are propaganda too you know), NOT about any making money at all from the profit of sales.

And yes, that's also apply to 90's (early, mid, and late) video games industry, so even the S.N.E.S. / Super Famicom games are also included. I would even say it goes so far as THE first video game (that would be "Space War").

It should be noted that the originial post was talking about "the next three installments in the series simultaneously for the next gen. Microsoft console", a.k.a. both the PS2 and the Xbox version released at the same time, not necessary a bad thing, unless either Sony or Microsoft want to be first, but hey, these two (Sony and MicroSoft) are only tools used by the same tool user, so don't give much thought about it.

It's not as improbable as everyone says it is. Just because they signed with Microsoft doesn't mean FFXIII is going to be an XBox (or XBox2, or whatever) exclusive. And besides, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest and Final Fantasy Tactics were both american-made games, made for americans, so Square Enix signing with Microsoft isn't drop-dead crazy (the fact that Mystic Quest sucked, however, could mean something).

If it's true, just expect even more games that have the Final Fantasy name meaninglessly slapped onto them, like Crystal Chronicles, along with releases of "numbered" games that are also on the PS(insert number here).

Neither FF Tactics, nor FF Mystic Quest were American made games. Mystic Quest was released in America first, but it was ultimately a Japanese game first and foremost. It is also regarded as the worst FF game ever made. Tactics was a 100% Japanese game that was rushed over to the US and poorly translated in more than a few spots, making the text a pain to read into at times.

Ant

antantrevolution said:
Neither FF Tactics, nor FF Mystic Quest were American made games. Mystic Quest was released in America first, but it was ultimately a Japanese game first and foremost. It is also regarded as the worst FF game ever made. Tactics was a 100% Japanese game that was rushed over to the US and poorly translated in more than a few spots, making the text a pain to read into at times.
While MQ was not made by Americans, it was made for Americans - that's why they released it in America first, because that was their primary target group.

If that deal story should really be true, then MS surely paid a huge amount of money for it - probably just to boost the rep of their console in Japan.

Lina Inverse said:
While MQ was not made by Americans, it was made for Americans - that's why they released it in America first, because that was their primary target group.

Well, you have to realise that made by Americans and made for Americans are two different beasts altogether. The reasoning behind the game was so younger gamers would be able to play a FF game. Why this thought process was even used, I have no idea. Maybe Square thought American children stupid, I don't know. Then again, during the SNES/Super Fami days, anything was quite possible.

Lina Inverse said:
If that deal story should really be true, then MS surely paid a huge amount of money for it - probably just to boost the rep of their console in Japan.

It's gonna be hard to speculate on this until we have more concrete evidence.

Ant

I'm not sure about where Mystic Quest was made (I no longer have the booklet), but it was intended to be for americans. It was a watered down, less-confusing, simplified FF made to lure americans into the genre at the time. But for those who like the way japanese RPGs are, it sucks. Game Players had a really good article on pretty much every FF title, and where it was released. I had all three pages on my computer before it crashed.

Tactics, you could be right, but I could've sworn it was american-made. Most of the credits are american...except for the main Square staff.

I'll admit the "by americans, for americans" thing was more or less to push my point. You caught me. :p

It's been about two weeks since this rumor was posted and I'm pretty sure this can be debunked. If this would have been true, about every Xbox fanatic would have been making a thread on IGN on how Xbox 2 will overtake the PS3 because of FF. These guys seem to get their info before the big news sites themselves get ahold of info. The original poster looks like he wanted to stir up some trouble.

Back
Top Bottom