What's new

Why Final Fantasy Sucks.

Welcome to our Japan community!

A discussion forum for all Things Japanese. Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

jeisan

Kongming
Reaction score
TwistedMac said:
i beg to differ... that sounds mostly like an "i heard them before they got famous" comment.. personally i think that's just BS.. but maybe that's just me..
ill disagree with that. becuase the same gamers who enjoyed FF2 dont like FFX they havent changed, the games have, therefore the games are indeed catered to a different audience otherewise all the old school gamers would still like them. the older games had something these new ones didnt. i would rather think square is just slipping but i think they are just more interested in selling the game than making it good. FF has sold out.

Winter

Gag me with a spoon
Reaction score
TwistedMac said:
i beg to differ... that sounds mostly like an "i heard them before they got famous" comment.. personally i think that's just BS.. but maybe that's just me..

Its not just you. The teenies I just mentioned agree with you, so you arent the only one who is wrong.

FF after 6 was different, and you cant argue that. It obviously...well, not obviously, but it did cater to a different audience. 8 and beyond had a centralized hottie character. And the people surrounding them had that same physical appeal, that draws the attention of the newer fans its catoring to, the teenies.

Where as the older ones, since they couldnt make them look like all that and a bag of grits, had to focus more on story developement, and character developement, which shouldnt surprise you that the characters of yore, while being two dimensional graphically, still had more dimensions than their recent counterparts.

Deny that all you want, its the truth.

kirei_na_me

Where I'm Supposed to Be
Reaction score
I have to agree with jeisan and Winter. I'm not going to elaborate, but I'm an old school gamer(pre-NES and a girl...heh) and I appreciate the older games much more. It's something about the simplicity of them that makes them complex, if that makes any sense.

Winter said:
Where as the older ones, since they couldnt make them look like all that and a bag of grits, had to focus more on story developement, and character developement, which shouldnt surprise you that the characters of yore, while being two dimensional graphically, still had more dimensions than their recent counterparts.

Yeah, that's what I mean. :)

dreamer

後輩
Reaction score
Lol I dunno...I've played FFXI and it roxes , although the server lags a lot -_-
I think that what made me stop was the fact that the last FF weren't released on PC and i'm lazy to switch the psx/ps2 on :p

TwistedMac

後輩
Reaction score
Winter said:
Its not just you. The teenies I just mentioned agree with you, so you arent the only one who is wrong.

right, disagree with you and i'm automatically wrong, nice to know, next time before i have an opinion i'll check with you to see if i have the right one.

I still call BS. the storylines are as developed as ever, with only a few exceptions (like FF9.. dunno what that was all about...)

Try playing the old games again, you'll see the old memories of a golden age long since passed are subjective as hell.. the games are never as brilliant as we remember them (not to say the games aren't good, hell they're still a good play today, and that says alot about a game.. they're just not in the "fantastic" group anymore)

and don't try to say you're oldschool and therefore know better than me..
(not saying you did, just saw it started to lean that way)

i got an atari 2600jr when it was state of the art, i was programming bouncing balls on my c64 and i had my fair share of l33t warez for the amiga 500.

ofcourse i got a nes when that came out in europe and when my dad pre-ordered my snes for me was one of my happiest days.

I'm not saying the old games were bad.. they were fantastic.. i'm just saying the new games are good too.. and not just in some sort of teeniebopper way. The storylines are brilliant, like a great movie and the characters look better (what, they should be ashamed of that?)

If you think everything beyond 6 sucks, i'm guessing you haven't really played much beyond that..

you can have your opinion, and i'll have mine.. don't fuggin tell me my opinion is wrong, please.

Elgin

先輩
Reaction score
FFX-2 is like a girl's slumber party. Its really boring, I hate the fighting mode, I'm left confused on scenes that are supposed to be funny, it gives me no desire to continue.

Gaki

Emperor Gakihito
Reaction score
RPGs these days lack any real challenge, I still havent collected all of the abilities for Gau (and two of the other characters whose names i've forgotten) in FF6 and this is over 6/7 years from the original time FF6 was released.

Winter

Gag me with a spoon
Reaction score
TwistedMac said:
right, disagree with you and i'm automatically wrong, nice to know, next time before i have an opinion i'll check with you to see if i have the right one.

I still call BS. the storylines are as developed as ever, with only a few exceptions (like FF9.. dunno what that was all about...)

Try playing the old games again, you'll see the old memories of a golden age long since passed are subjective as hell.. the games are never as brilliant as we remember them (not to say the games aren't good, hell they're still a good play today, and that says alot about a game.. they're just not in the "fantastic" group anymore)

and don't try to say you're oldschool and therefore know better than me..
(not saying you did, just saw it started to lean that way)

i got an atari 2600jr when it was state of the art, i was programming bouncing balls on my c64 and i had my fair share of l33t warez for the amiga 500.

ofcourse i got a nes when that came out in europe and when my dad pre-ordered my snes for me was one of my happiest days.

I'm not saying the old games were bad.. they were fantastic.. i'm just saying the new games are good too.. and not just in some sort of teeniebopper way. The storylines are brilliant, like a great movie and the characters look better (what, they should be ashamed of that?)

If you think everything beyond 6 sucks, i'm guessing you haven't really played much beyond that..

you can have your opinion, and i'll have mine.. don't fuggin tell me my opinion is wrong, please.

Wow, looks like I touched a nerve. I'd apologize if I cared, but since I dont, I wont.

And you're still wrong.

dreamer

後輩
Reaction score
Gaki said:
RPGs these days lack any real challenge, I still havent collected all of the abilities for Gau (and two of the other characters whose names i've forgotten) in FF6 and this is over 6/7 years from the original time FF6 was released.
Have you collected all the ennemy's skills from FF7? :D

MShingen

先輩
Reaction score
The enemy skills for FF7 are very much easier to collect as compared to FF6.

The previous FF series are very much better as compared to now.... Especially FF5 and 6! FF7 is still quite fun despite of the squarish graphics. But FF8 onwards, it is only really focusing on the graphics and the sound effects. The game system was really sucks. FF9 was nothing better. FF10 was still quite fun. FFX-2's system was still acceptable but the plot sucks. Let us hope for yhe better in FF12.

goggles

Banyai! Banyai!
Reaction score
Just think of FF7 as another SNES incarnation but 3D. That's why it blew everyone away. The movie is probably gonna suck heaps of money from people. Why? The fanbase is huge. And Square-Enix probably knows that. I don't think they're doing this CG movie for tangible benefits only.

What really sucks about FF now? Quite a few things.
-summon animations take an eternity
-magic spell animations take an eternity
those two points above say one thing: time wasting

Here's another; I live in Australia. Australia get's PAL games. PAL games are 25fps. The games are F'KIN slow. FF8, 9, 10 all released at 25fps. How long is it gonna take for Square-Enix to fix this?! It's also no wonder piracy is so big in Australia, and the 25fps gameplay is the very reason for it.

MShingen

先輩
Reaction score
Goggles, at your place, is it possible to get NTSC set and NTSC games and you use a NTSC to PAL converter to plug into TV so that you can play games at NTSC speed but on your PAL TV? That should solve the problem of the 25fps speed.

Buddha Smoker

Finally Enlighted One
Reaction score
I don't think FF7 was bad....it was more of a ground-breaker for the new stuff. I personally don't care for the newer games. I think the FF games on Snes were alot better at least story wise.... I liked FF7 because it was a bit more mysterious. That's my two yen.

ashuri2

me gots isshooz...
Reaction score
hmm..i already said this in another thread, but it needs saying again: ffX sucked, and i'm not randomly saying it, i played it for a long time, got sick of it's pointless storyline that was, and i quote myself, 'a clean soap opera with a generous helping of teen angst', and i'm gonna add unreality in there. ffvii actually had a point, and it was realistic in its stotyline (i like how the main character went insane for a while). and my opinion isn't based on 'the golden days' nostalgia cause even though i've been gaming for a while, i just started getting into ff stuff. after ffx, i was about to storm off in disgust, but then a friend loaned me ffvii and now it's true love...i'm gonna go play ffviii next, so, i have no opinion on that. ffx-2? can someone say bubblegum? that is not a serious RPG, the people up at that place made it to try to lighten the tone of the ever-so-boring and depressed ffx, and it's kinda obvious. i mean, come on, costume changes!?!? original, i guess, but it kinda smacks of, 'let's play dress-up'! 'i'm a barbie girl, in a barbie world/i'm made of plastic, isn't life fantastic!/you can comb my hair, and dress me anywhere...' i think it's sad that i can go and play a game 7 years after it comes out and find it much better than it's later siblings.

Wakaranai

先輩
Reaction score
Views on Finial Fantasy.

What are your views on the FF games.

My views are that the games need to be getting back to their roots.
Less SiFi and more Fantasy. Old School FF was the best. FF 1-5

Dont get me wrong not all SiFi FF games are bad. FF 6 AKA FF3 In the States was the best FF game and It had some SiFi in it. FF7 was great to. But FF8 was bad FF9 was ok. FFX and FFX-2 this is a bad idea. FF should never have any sequels this is a bad bad idea. Sequels lead to a downfall. 007 has never had any Sequels and that is what made it so great.

My views on FF is of the old school. When I see a FF game is should remind me of (D&D) Dungeons and Dragons. And not Alternity.
Alternity was a SiFi RPG made by Wizards of the Cost. It was a flopp. 🎈

ashuri2

me gots isshooz...
Reaction score
i think there's thread where this exact thing was talked over, and i'm to lazy repeat myself. but basically, i think the series has indeed fallen in quality, but not necessarily along the lines of old school, new school...more like a slow, decaying, progressive decline...

Arekkusu

Sempai
Reaction score
I'd like to say one thing:

I've read that a few hate FF7 for personal reasons but some people(not just here but all over) who say it sucks story and graphic wise has to relize this:

FF7 is a older game.
At the time Square was just starting to transfer to a higher level of gaming aka the Playstation.
At the time period(what around '96-'97 right?) the game was great.
For it's time it rocked.
The story was entertaining, and the graphics were great again for it's time.
People compare it and judge it on game views of today. Yes the graphics blow because they are what? 6-7 years old?
Indeed compared to other RPGs now it may look like garbage, but go back 6-7 years and remember when people bought it for the first time. I remember renting it non-stop because it was a rocking game for it's time and I loved it. Then the word came out for FF8 and I was going crazy. Gotta have gotta have type crazy, but why? Because at the time those games were rocking, and now they are "old school".

What I am saying really is now they may suck yes, but remember back when we didn't have the great amount of graphic/storyline games this is what we had to entertain ourselfs for hours.

Now for FFX and FFX-2..I mean they were "ok" I think. Nice graphics, and the storyline..was eh "ok" again, but FFX I thought could have been longer, and I never really bothered to finish FFX-2..sidequests=over and over=annoying a bit.
---------------
I love playing FF11 online.
It's just a way for me to engage with other FF players and get away from my stressful life for a few hours.
---------------
FF12 looks like it should be a fun game, but we will have to wait and see.^^

Buddha Smoker

Finally Enlighted One
Reaction score
Arekkusu said:
I'd like to say one thing:

I've read that a few hate FF7 for personal reasons but some people(not just here but all over) who say it sucks story and graphic wise has to relize this:

FF7 is a older game.
At the time Square was just starting to transfer to a higher level of gaming aka the Playstation.
At the time period(what around '96-'97 right?) the game was great.
For it's time it rocked.
The story was entertaining, and the graphics were great again for it's time.
People compare it and judge it on game views of today. Yes the graphics blow because they are what? 6-7 years old?
Indeed compared to other RPGs now it may look like garbage, but go back 6-7 years and remember when people bought it for the first time. I remember renting it non-stop because it was a rocking game for it's time and I loved it. Then the word came out for FF8 and I was going crazy. Gotta have gotta have type crazy, but why? Because at the time those games were rocking, and now they are "old school".

What I am saying really is now they may suck yes, but remember back when we didn't have the great amount of graphic/storyline games this is what we had to entertain ourselfs for hours.

Now for FFX and FFX-2..I mean they were "ok" I think. Nice graphics, and the storyline..was eh "ok" again, but FFX I thought could have been longer, and I never really bothered to finish FFX-2..sidequests=over and over=annoying a bit.
---------------
I love playing FF11 online.
It's just a way for me to engage with other FF players and get away from my stressful life for a few hours.
---------------
FF12 looks like it should be a fun game, but we will have to wait and see.^^

Good points but that is why I always refer to it as a founder in the Final Fantasy series. Also, for playability (spell?) then FF3 (or 6 in Japan) and FF7 offer alot especially in storylines but that is just my opinion.

Arekkusu

Sempai
Reaction score
I must agree.
I just found FF7 a fun game.
I beat it 4-5 times and I'm playing it all over again.
It's just fun!*lol*

Lina Inverse

後輩
Reaction score
Gaki said:
Indeed. It should be about 10 years now, I think.
Have you got yet a complete list of the items you can battle for in the arena? Or how about Gogos imitations or Relms sketch attack?
While FF7 was a small revolution graphics-wise at that time, story- and gameplay-wise it clearly went downhill from FF6. This trend continued with FF8, which had even better graphics and even worse story and gameplay. FF9 was somewhat different, and from FFX on, it got a little better again, but not too much.

Buddha Smoker

Finally Enlighted One
Reaction score
Lina Inverse said:
Indeed. It should be about 10 years now, I think.
Have you got yet a complete list of the items you can battle for in the arena? Or how about Gogos imitations or Relms sketch attack?
While FF7 was a small revolution graphics-wise at that time, story- and gameplay-wise it clearly went downhill from FF6. This trend continued with FF8, which had even better graphics and even worse story and gameplay. FF9 was somewhat different, and from FFX on, it got a little better again, but not too much.

I stopped after FF8...I just couldn't take it after that....it FF8 was bad but it looks to have gotten worse after that.

Top Bottom