What's new

Manga Ka or Anime artist

Miko-Kokoro

後輩
21 Oct 2004
OK, well...I'm wondering..

I'm from Canada and I have a talent for drawing anime, Although, Since I'm in canada and have no Japanese descendant would I get a job in Japan as an anime artist or be hired to have my own Manga. Would my chances be as good as any Person living in Japan with Japanese descendant?

Very, very unlikely. Two reasons why. You'd have to have fluent Japanese to work with the Japanese publishers or animators and even if you do that, you'd have to get past the bias against Gaijins.

But if you still want to draw comics for a living, your opportunities are much better in North America. Spend the years refining your art and storytelling abilities and hopefully at that time you'll be able to achieve your goals.

Stutz is rite. if you want you could also take up japanese language in a course or something. get to know the basic and all

I honestly think if you have enough heart to do what you want, you can achieve it. Make it your life's goal; breath and eat Japanese history, literature, anime/manga styles. Immerse yourself in all that is Japanese... YOU CAN DO IT!

Well understand that if you are really serious about this that it will take time and a lot of work. Not only will you need to be fluent in Japanese you will most likely have to learn much about the culture since lots of themes are based on legends and traditions.

Also you won't just jump into the scene writing your own mangas or anime. You will most likely start off on a staff and work your way up. That way you will develop your skills and learn to discipline yourself. Also you are always on a tight schedule and have deadlines to meet.

I considered this as a job option for a while, but decided that I am far to laid back and lazy and could never meet deadlines. Not to mention I am always stuck in an art block and my drawing style really isn't anime. If this is something you really want to do then I wish you luck!

Man, I have been drawing anime/manga for a really long time now. I know that I probably wouldn't be able to get into some sort of Japanese animation job and it probably would not pay much but I'm good at it and I enjoy to draw that stuff. It really sucks though becuase there are A LOT of better people out there that could get that job done so much better than me. I think so negatively. Hee hee! Yay Canada! 😊

cacawate said:
I honestly think if you have enough heart to do what you want, you can achieve it. Make it your life's goal; breath and eat Japanese history, literature, anime/manga styles. Immerse yourself in all that is Japanese... YOU CAN DO IT!
i agree i think you can accomplish anything but it will be hard and if you work as hard as needed then you will have just has good enough chance as any body 🙂

Miko-Kokoro said:
OK, well...I'm wondering..

I'm from Canada and I have a talent for drawing anime, Although, Since I'm in canada and have no Japanese descendant would I get a job in Japan as an anime artist or be hired to have my own Manga. Would my chances be as good as any Person living in Japan with Japanese descendant?
i think its not so easy to publish sth in Japan - but one girl from Poland started with making doujinshi ( Wolfs Rain and Hunter) and now she's selling her manga's in US (she's popular in yaoi fandom) - i think for you will be also easier to start in US than in Japan if you're not japaneese fluent, beside that in US you have more chances that someone will interest in your artworks

I'd say that this job is quite risky in Japan since there are many of people who do the same thing but, also, "anime otakus" are usually highly shunded upon, be careful, and have fun! 👍

Well, thank you all! yeah, I do believe that if I'm willed enough to actually do it, I possibly can. But I'm probably going to try and attempt my success at it. If no..I'm going to Disney and trying out for the animation team there.

At that, I already am educating myself in Japanese history and trying to be fluent in Japanese. :) woo go me! besides...I'm a VERY motivated person.

I think it would be tough to do... but that it would definately be possible.

BTW... i know this is off topic... but where do you live in calgary? i lived there for 12 years and recently moved away.... :( I lived in Sundance (SE community)

Back
Top Bottom