What's new

Anybody on this board into manga/anime for more than 10 years?

Right on...according to the newbies at my old club, Gainax only made one TV show (Eva), Miyazaki only had two good films (Mononoke & Spirited) and the best stuff from Rumiko Takahashi was Inuyasha & Ranma...

Hehe. We're kindred spirits, you and I... Although I have to say I was given a break by being in Japan. The shock came from joining this forum...

I've been following Inuyasha for the past two and a half years and while it started out well, she sidetracked and now she's completely lost us and the point... Fortunately, I feel that it's winding down.

Mononoke sucked in my opinion. It was, in my book, the worse Miyazki production. Too much of a Nausicaa rehash for my taste. Even the soundtrack sounded similar. And after reading the Nausicaa manga to the end, I can safely say that Mononoke was the sequel to Nausicaa, but in a different setting.

Macross Movie was way ahead of it's time.... I'll throw another one in that category: Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro!

Good one. I agree. Although not one of the better Lupins. Still it holds up very well, you're right.

Indeed. That's why I end up waiting around for the next Ghibli or whatever Otomo/RinTaro/Madhouse put out to get some decent meat (or magic)....

Did you see "Neko no ongaeshi" (I think the English title is "The cat returns"), the latest Ghibli? (It's already one year old, though...) It was pretty good. Light.

What about Dragon Ball? :D

That show was an uncanny hit here in Portugal. I mean, there was guys in several campus that skipped classes just to go to the nearest bar or coffee shop to watch Son Goku or Son gohan give a severe beating in Freezer or Cell. That thing was almost as popular as soccer, at a given time.

:D

I must say that I enjoyed seeing DB and DB Z, though GT was a pain and I lost interest quick.

I personally could never abide Dragon Ball... Too, what's the word, stretched.

i started watching anime like 11 years ago, but didn't know it was anime, but i've only really been into anime for about 5 years. Transformers, Voltron, Reboot, and some stuff they should on sci-fi or the fox channel is what i watched around 11 years ago but i ddn't know it was called anime.

has anyone seen a series called Guyver. i just started watching it and i think it's pretty good

I don't know whether they made a new Guyver series, but the one I saw sucked rocks. I've never really understood the fixation of North Americans have for Guyver and Genocyber, actually.

Reboot was not anime, its an American prod and CGI, so it doesn't really qualify as anime in my book.

As for the Transformers, although I'm not sure about the original series, the copyrights and trademarks are held by Hasbro and licensed by Takara in Japan. I don't think that the Transformers fall in the anime group. At least I never viewed it as such. To me, the Transformers were just as the G.I Joes were...

Last edited:
well i know that Transformers was made and first aired in japan, but it was kind of designed towards americans. i don't think there is another Guyver series, besides the one your talking about. the reason i like Guyver is that it's just an anime that doesn't involve a lot of thought, but it still has an alright story line and tons of gorey fights. it's just something i can watch to relax after watching anime like Boogiepop Phantom, Lain, and reading MPD Psycho which i really liked

by the way, have u read MPD Psycho and does it have an anime. that manga was pretty messed up, but really keep me reading. it got kind of confusing at parts

Not really my type of watching or reading. I'm more into the mechanical stuff and the girly stuff... Never really got hooked on the Japanese gore, which is why I don't understand why so many North Americans go for Guyver and Genocyber. Although the manga GUNNM was pretty gorey, it still has an airtight storyine that doesn't depend on the gore. There are long fits that don't involve any... Sorry, I can't help you about that title. Must be pretty recent...

My first one was Akira, many moons ago...

Unless you count the original Astroboy I watched about 20 years ago...

When I was pretty young (over ten yrs ago) I watched Dr Slump and What's Michael, which are not great classics but were entertaining. But I only really got into anime about 5 yrs ago so technically that doesn't really count, but I'm enjoying the old series like Maison Ikkoku now. The reason why the discussion here is mainly about really new series is just because people are exposed to them so much more than the old series. They should show more of the old classics on tv IMO.

Saiyuki said:
by the way, have u read MPD Psycho and does it have an anime. that manga was pretty messed up, but really keep me reading. it got kind of confusing at parts

I thought that was quite good up to volume 8, then it just got overly complicated and confusing. As far as I know there isn't an anime of it.

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I'm sure as hell part of this group, really I was raised up on Doredamon and a whole host of other japanese stuff on VHS that my family in Japan sent over to me when I was like 4 ~10 years old. Furthermore, unless a new series has been directly been reccomended to me, Im not going to watch it, I prefer to watch golden age stuff. My favorite series was the original Macross series and the movie Do you remember love. Stuff from the golden age, kicked ***, Bubblegum Crisis, MD geist, fist of the north star, so many I can't remember them all.

Right now I'm on a complete kick for Helgensagen Vom Kosmoneif, which is just the most amazing series EVER. Its like a serious Gundam or Macross. Its about war, death and power, and how humans cope with it. Pretty amazing series in my mind, not like the typical anime series today.

Personally I think Anime has gone to places that it shouldn't. CG mixing with cells is disgraceful and NEVER done well. I don't mind CG cell shaded, that loooks okay, but full cgs is brutally done in my mind and doesn't convey the same feelings.

And don't get me started about the crap people are watching today in the US.

Back
Top Bottom