• I have always lived in Japan

Votes: 26 2.1%
  • I've grown up in Japan, but don't live there anymore

Votes: 31 2.6%
  • I am living in Japan for the moment

Votes: 75 6.2%
  • I have lived for sometime in Japan

Votes: 132 10.9%
  • I have been several times to Japan (as a tourist, short-stays)

Votes: 99 8.2%
  • I have been to Japan once (tourist, short-stay)

Votes: 98 8.1%
  • I have not been to Japan yet, but intend to.

Votes: 679 55.9%
  • I haven't been there and don't plan to.

Votes: 22 1.8%
  • Other

Votes: 56 4.6%

• Total voters
What have you been doing here in Japan for work? Have you taught English the whole time, did you start as an English teacher and then moved to something else? I just started here in Japan, want want to stay here for a long time, so hearing others' experiences would be helpful.

I've never been to Japan, but I think about it frequently enough to irk myself. I don't think a vacation there is in the cards for me anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
What have you been doing here in Japan for work?

Are you asking me?

Have you taught English the whole time, did you start as an English teacher and then moved to something else?

Yes, the whole time.
For me there's not reason to move to something else. Being a teacher is what I aimed for the whole time. That's what I studied at university, got an MA in that field, even have a publication in that field.

I just started here in Japan, want want to stay here for a long time, so hearing others' experiences would be helpful.

Sure. Good luck to you! :)

i havent been but i want to, i love Japan its a very beautiful place, culture is awesome as well, i want to go on holiday and maybe live there at some point

I've never been there before but I'd love to as a tourist.
I'm fascinated by the culture, places and so fort ever since I learned more about Japan
last 4 - 5 years ago, yes,
I just don't have any desire to live there.

Hello all from Hong Kong, I visited Kansai Region last year (not following tours with tour guides)
pretty like japan

I've been to Japan (kyoto) a couple of times and about one and two weeks each. It's very interesting talking with Japanese people, they are very kind and cute (girls) ;)

I have been to Japan two times now. Both times visiting friends that were/are teaching English there. I've always been fascinated with Japanese culture/lifestyle. It's just out of this world compared to living in LA. Really expensive there. I'm talking about 15 USD for a Fuji apple. But then again it was the most delicious apple I have ever had. Of course konbinis you could live off of if you are going there on a budget. I have so much I would like to say about my trips there. I have been from Kobe to Tokyo, backpacking it through staying a couple of days at random cities/towns in between. Anyway. I am probably going again this coming summer. i can not wait!

I have been to Japan two times now. Both times visiting friends that were/are teaching English there. I've always been fascinated with Japanese culture/lifestyle. It's just out of this world compared to living in LA. Really expensive there. I'm talking about 15 USD for a Fuji apple. But then again it was the most delicious apple I have ever had. Of course konbinis you could live off of if you are going there on a budget. I have so much I would like to say about my trips there. I have been from Kobe to Tokyo, backpacking it through staying a couple of days at random cities/towns in between. Anyway. I am probably going again this coming summer. i can not wait!

Fifteen bucks for an apple?!?! Where the hell did you shop?

OOOH. Sounds like a plan! Too bad you are up in Yamanashi. Ill be down and out in Osaka for week visiting my friend before he moves to the UK. Then going to Seoul. I'm always interested in meeting up with people if they are interested. So let me know

This was out in Minamiboso, over in Chiba-ken. Apple was like 1250 yen. It was massive too. I've seen fruits pretty pricey out in the countryside. Even in the city I've seen fruits like durian for 15,000EN. yes, fifteen thousand yen

OOOH. Sounds like a plan! Too bad you are up in Yamanashi. Ill be down and out in Osaka for week visiting my friend before he moves to the UK. Then going to Seoul. I'm always interested in meeting up with people if they are interested. So let me know

I'm interested in meeting new people, new friends, just like an adventure :) .. But too bad.. I never been in Osaka.. You can keep in touch though if you want.. Just to say "hi" :D

Sounds good. Yea last years trip I backpacked from Osaka to Tokyo, so you would have been a stop, but this time I want to finally see S. Korea. And yea it's always an adventure. How long have you been in Japan now? Actually do you have "LINE" or "Kakao" or even "Whatsapp" ? I just like chatting with people from around the world. If you are interested private message me

This was out in Minamiboso, over in Chiba-ken. Apple was like 1250 yen. It was massive too. I've seen fruits pretty pricey out in the countryside. Even in the city I've seen fruits like durian for 15,000EN. yes, fifteen thousand yen

You may be silly enough to pay OVER TEN TIMES the normal price of an apple, but please don't go around trying to impress and astonish people by talking like that is the normal price of an apple here.

EDIT:

I was just in a Lawson's convenience store....selling Fuji apples....bag of SIX for 398 yen.

Last edited:
You may be silly enough to pay OVER TEN TIMES the normal price of an apple, but please don't go around trying to impress and astonish people by talking like that is the normal price of an apple here.

EDIT:

I was just in a Lawson's convenience store....selling Fuji apples....bag of SIX for 398 yen.

If I've done my calculations right (I admit to not having spent more than some quick google searches on it), that's still pretty dang pricey.

It's not far off what I'd expect to see here (UK) for apples - for something you'd eat as-is. Could be more, especially for organic, could be less. For cooking apples quite a bit less, though.

I guess the point is, the cost of living here is high. But if someone said that food in the UK was expensive and gave an example of something they'd bought from Fortnum and Mason, that's not really reflective of what things actually cost. It only indicates that there's a market for the premium stuff (presumably mostly for gifts).

Well all I know is that I paid 1350 yen for an apple. It was the size of a small watermelon. It was delicious, it was organic and this was in the countryside out in Chiba-ken. Sure maybe I paid too much, but it was one time, I felt it was worth it. I shared it with a friend because that's how big it was. Sure it might be A LOT cheaper in the city for a mass produced product. But this was the countryside where it was made in their own backyard and they selll to make a living.

My first thought was, "Apples in Chiba?!?!"

If they're growing apples for a living in Chiba they must be very lonely.

Apple production statistics

Not surprisingly, Aomori alone counts for over half and comes in first, Ishikawa comes in 14th with a negligible one-tenth of one percent. Chiba doesn't even make the list.

It's pictures like the one below that make people living outside Japan jump to conclusions.

melons.jpg

Well all I know is that I paid 1350 yen for an apple. It was the size of a small watermelon.
What?! The price was excessive enough as it it, but the size of a (small) watermelon?! That's just flat out nutty. I've been here a decade and never seen an apple bigger than a softball. How small is a small watermelon?

hello everyone :)
i've been to japan once during the summer. i enjoyed every second of it! the food are delicious but then again most of them are expensive. i've tried japanese pancake and i loved it :) we have those kind of pancake here but it's not the REAL deal. man, hopefully, i get another chance to visit japan again !

Back
Top Bottom