What's new

what was the first anime you ever watched?

My first animation was 窶ーテ??堙遺?堋ォナスq, in Dutch we call it Remi alleen op de wereld, what would be Remi Alone on the world in English.
Here is a the openings part of the anime on Youtube:

I really hope some other people have seen this anime when they were younger.

Woah!! Motion sickness from the multiple background movments.
I remember that was a big deal when Nintendo started being
able to do that (but not which games),

But this anime, no, i've never seen it. sorry.

Back in the 1980s we used to get a sanitised version of Gatchaman on TV during the summer holidays. It was called Battle of the Plannets I think. I always remember being really annoyed because just as the battle sequences were getting tastey, they'd cut to that annoying 7Zark7 robot who'd say something like 'they all survived the battle'. It wasn't until later that I discovered Zark had been spliced in to censor out the material deemed too violent for non-Japanese kids. Mmm, I'm going to see if I can get the proper versions on Amazon.

The first proper Anime I saw was Akira, probably in the early 1990s. I remember thinking, wow this is different! Anime allows you to do things that are just not possible in normal films and it always looks realistic.

Back in the 1980s we used to get a sanitised version of Gatchaman on TV during the summer holidays. It was called Battle of the Plannets I think. I always remember being really annoyed because just as the battle sequences were getting tastey, they'd cut to that annoying 7Zark7 robot who'd say something like 'they all survived the battle'. It wasn't until later that I discovered Zark had been spliced in to censor out the material deemed too violent for non-Japanese kids. Mmm, I'm going to see if I can get the proper versions on Amazon.

Personally I used to love Battle of the Planets, classic stuff!

I wonder if Ulysses 31 counts as anime? What an intro!

The infamous opening credits

Like Amos, the first real anime I saw was Akira. I'd love to go back and see the re-dubbed version - apparently it makes much more sense, a far more comprehensible translation of the original.

Personally I used to love Battle of the Planets, classic stuff!
I wonder if Ulysses 31 counts as anime? What an intro!
The infamous opening credits
Like Amos, the first real anime I saw was Akira. I'd love to go back and see the re-dubbed version - apparently it makes much more sense, a far more comprehensible translation of the original.

Man I'd forgotten about Ulysses 31!! Yeah that was great - says he humming the theme tune - that's going to be stuck in my head for days now! It would be good to see that again and not miss any of the episodes.

And don't get me wrong, I loved BOTP - Transmute! - but it always seemed annoying at the time that 7Zark7 told you how the battle ended and you were left thinking, well why didn't we see it. I know now that it was taken out 'cos it was too violent. I've just seen that Amazon do the complete series for ツ」60. But I think I will get a multi region DVD and get the unedited Gatchman.

Man I'd forgotten about Ulysses 31!! Yeah that was great - says he humming the theme tune - that's going to be stuck in my head for days now! It would be good to see that again and not miss any of the episodes.
And don't get me wrong, I loved BOTP - Transmute! - but it always seemed annoying at the time that 7Zark7 told you how the battle ended and you were left thinking, well why didn't we see it. I know now that it was taken out 'cos it was too violent. I've just seen that Amazon do the complete series for ツ」60. But I think I will get a multi region DVD and get the unedited Gatchman.

Indeed it would! I'm sure I missed the last episode of Ulysses 31, as well as BoTP and most other long-running series i've followed :( (There never was an ending to Monkey, right???)

Quite right about the gaps in the plot, i'd forgotten all about that!

Lol, reading the wiki page just now it seems it wasn't just the violence but also profanity and transgenderism (not my word choice!) that were edited out - apparently the female side of Voltar was introduced as 'his' sister in the English one.

Let us know how you find it if you do get that dvd set - it'd be interesting to hear how it compares :)

Right i'm off to dust down my British anime collection - Mr Benn, Captain Pugwash, and Bod!

Last edited:
Let us know how you find it if you do get that dvd set - it'd be interesting to hear how it compares :)
QUOTE]

I will. From a preliminary check, it seems that the full series comprises about 9 volumes - so that's going to be about ツ」100!! Mind you, each volume seemed to have around 300 mins of content so I suppose you are paying the going rate for it.

Will have to see if I can find it cheaper.

That show "Ulysses 31" aired in the US in the mid- or early 80s as well.
I think I watched in on Sat or Sun afternoons. Only recently did
I remember it and couldn't remember the name, only knew it was
something like Ulysses in outer space. Thanks.

First animoo was Akira unless you count Ulyssis in which case it was that (used to watch that before going to school lol - possibly first crush on a non real girl? but that may of been Crystal on the Centurians(was it centurians or the other one hmmm) lol)

First anime watched was Speed Racer, but not by choice, I had older brothers. But I have a memory of a cartoon; it's been driving me crazy, and I think it's an anime. Here's what I can picture...There are a group of heros and they spin together like a tornado and rise up like a phoenix?! Maybe I have two shows mixed together. I think they all had different powers, but I can't say for sure. Maybe it's all a dream! Any clues?

Oh, I just watched Tokyo Godfathers...is that cosnsidered anime? Anyway I liled it. Everything was so realistic.

The first Anime I ever say was Dragon Ball Z, and ever since I have had a strange earge to watch it again....

But I have a memory of a cartoon; it's been driving me crazy, and I think it's an anime. Here's what I can picture...There are a group of heros and they spin together like a tornado and rise up like a phoenix?! Maybe I have two shows mixed together. I think they all had different powers, but I can't say for sure. Maybe it's all a dream! Any clues?

Oh, I just watched Tokyo Godfathers...is that cosnsidered anime? Anyway I liled it. Everything was so realistic.

There might have been a Phoenix image rising in the old Battle of the Planets show (also known as G-Force or Gatchaman). Old sketchy memories for me on that show.

T.G.
It is animation that came from Japan, isn't it?
Why would it not be?

I saw "Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind" when I was 5 years old, so in 1990, and really liked it. I started watching all of Mr. Miyazaki's movies after that, and never looked back. My favorite anime by far is Cowboy bebop.

But I have a memory of a cartoon; it's been driving me crazy, and I think it's an anime. Here's what I can picture...There are a group of heros and they spin together like a tornado and rise up like a phoenix?! Maybe I have two shows mixed together. I think they all had different powers, but I can't say for sure. Maybe it's all a dream! Any clues?

phoenix1.jpg

:)

My god! Battle of the Planets. Now there is a blast from the past.
Ulysses 31 was a french/japanese co-production, hence that annoying robot, Nono

easy, it was "My Neighbor Totoro"
my mother put it on when I was 2 months old. been watching anime ever since.

That I remember either Saint Seiya or Yu Yu Hakusho (about 12 years ago). I also used to watch the old Captain Tsubasa series.

Back
Top Bottom