Japan as EU Member State?

• Yes!

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • No!

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • I don't know!

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
I only mentioned the Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere in jest, since I think your idea is just as funny. 😊
But the point is economic development must take place regionally, just as it did for the EU--there are regional problems that countries elsewhere do not understand and cannot help. There are huge problems among Japan, China, and Korea and these must worked out among the three because they can't be ignored. However, some start has already begun with a historic meeting with heads of state from the three in Japan late last year. From there, some common groundwork can be established for long term future development in the region. :)

There was no indication or hint that you were kidding. Perhaps you were serious and just didn't know Japanese or Asian situation very well. As for the EU, you also and many others seem not to know it well. The most powerful foreign policy the EU has is ENLARGEMENT. You can go read up a bit about the EU and you will see that it aims to be a group of countries without being limited to Europe.

As for your poor joke, it wasn't very funny. Just a sad reminder of Japan's failed evil imperialism. The world belongs to those who have rejected such propaganda and evil intents, but are focused on peaceful cooperation and development of nations for the good of humankind.

lol. I'm the one who brought it up and even underlined it to get your attention and you're the one who had to look it up in wikipedia...then you go making a foolish assumption. Well, duh. Anyone with even a little knowledge of Asian history knows about it.

Anyway, you don't pay attention and you don't know enough about economics, so there's no basis for discussion.

Live long and prosper. Sayonara.

The most powerful foreign policy the EU has is ENLARGEMENT. You can go read up a bit about the EU and you will see that it aims to be a group of countries without being limited to Europe.

it looks like another strange imperialism
EU has an ambition becoming the economic power in the age that United States declines?
When I compare EU with the United States, EU is worse.
there is no identity oF EU
There is no federal government.....

Anyway
If Japan learns from the history of Europe...
Japan should not go deep into...

As for your poor joke, it wasn't very funny. Just a sad reminder of Japan's failed evil imperialism. The world belongs to those who have rejected such propaganda and evil intents, but are focused on peaceful cooperation and development of nations for the good of humankind.

Instead of thinking of JAPAN, I suggest you to think of Europe, which is freezing as Russia stopped its Gas supply.

_45351367_18-1.jpg

Firewood sellers in Sofia are preparing for greater demand 😊

GOOD LUCK from Tokyo, being relatively warm today!

Instead of thinking of JAPAN, I suggest you to think of Europe, which is freezing as Russia stopped its Gas supply.
_45351367_18-1.jpg

Firewood sellers in Sofia are preparing for greater demand 😊
GOOD LUCK from Tokyo, being relatively warm today!
This thread is turning into the ad hominem discussion....:p
Only part of Europe is affected by the gas dispute between Russia and Ukraine. Most of the EU members countries have some stock piles of gas for their immediate needs.

eoeuropeenvisatsnowbg-1.jpg

But Europe looks really freezing...
A cold wave claimed seven more lives in Poland and one casualty in Belgium as temperatures across Europe plunged below freezing overnight in what weather officials Wednesday dubbed the coldest night of winter.
Eight freeze to death in Europe's coldest winter night
Russian gas supply stopped only at Poland and Beligium ?
God, just read the news... Western European countries are not affected with this gas dispute. Also, the weather is nothing to do with this thread, isn't it?

God, just read the news... Western European countries are not affected with this gas dispute. Also, the weather is nothing to do with this thread, isn't it?

True. 😌

But European Union said "Japan as EU Member State?"

But Europe looks very freezing, which I don't like !

Astroboy, you have been asked to keep on topic by another member. I am now telling you to keep on topic.

Europe is one of the first places on earth to tolerate gays, we are not going to care what the Japanese wish to put in their mouths. .
sorry to be so childish, but those two sentences together made me smirk a bit.
Getting back to being a grown up I have to disagree with a lot of posts citing Japanese culture being too far removed from Europe. Historically maybe, but from what I've seen of modern Japan it sits in very nicely with Europe, in fact it could well be a 'flagship' state. I think a lot of ideals about european living exist in Japan. I truly felt quite at home in Japan and didn't notice any real disparity between everyday Japanese life and European life.
I know the Japanese business model of the large cartels does rile western business but I have heard western enterprises are now beginning to emulate it.

I just doubt Japan will ever join EU. There are so many differences between Japanese and EU business and cultural practices. If Japan is going to join EU, then, I might stay in Japan (so that I can get a free access to EU). There are simply too many things which go wrong with this whole concept.

Well, this is all an academic discussion at the moment, since the EU is primarily about a free market environment (bye bye Japanese rice production = nationwide starvation in case the supply lines are cut), and the last thing Japan needs now is a market economy.

But, if it did happen, my spontaneous thoughts are these:
1) Japan is more liberal than the EU, and thus may be able to curb the neo-moralism that is gaining ground in some nations like Sweden.
2) OTOH, Japan might be affected negatively by the EU instead.

Closer cooperation would certainly be good though.

Also, the EU currently doesn't satisfy the Copenhagen protocol, as it is not a democracy. In my eyes, the EU has been hijacked by politicians who are tired of requiring the voters consent for every little thing. Instead, laws are passed by the minister council (I know they have to be approved by the EU Parliament, but most times this is avoided as they are sent to the wrong section to vote on. For example the agriculture section voting on immaterial rights law).

Corruption in Japan is already wide-spread, there is no reason to make it worse by joining the EU.

Also, while the EU might have been the first to tolerate homosexuals, most of the rest of the world never banned it to start with. It was certainly never classified as a disease in Japan.

Culturally, while Greece and Sweden for example, might be far apart, Japan is in another dimension. There are differences in basic world view, and not just superficial things.

Japan would become the 51st state in the USA before that ever happens.

The goal of the EU are many. One is continous enlargement with countries that share the same believes and values of the EU, such as democracy, peace, stability, good governance, the rule of law and human rights. There are many countries near the EU that don't share these values. Those countries fall under the European Union Neighbourhood Policy. This policy is designed to develop those countries to be in line with the EU's policies, such as democracy. But they are also intended to develop those countries through infrastructure projects. The EU intends to invest a lot of money to connect Africa and Europe by a bridge or tunnel and eventual build renewable energy plants there to supply those countries and the EU with clean power. Eventually those countries will join the EU.
In short, the EU is a new Empire. It is a European Empire or World Empire. One of the most important European politicians compared the EU to an Empire, but this empire is voluntary and democratic. In other words, no one is forced to join the EU. People are given the chance to join, with a promise of better cooperation and benefit for all citizens. The benefits include the world's best governance, the world's best police force, the world's best laws and a huge efficient and modern market. In other words, if a country wants to join the EU, it must fulfill the Copenhagen Criteria, which is in line with democracy, good governance, human rights, rule of law and much more. All is strictly voluntary.
EU Presidency
The current President of the EU is Mr. Sarkozy from France. His term runs out on midnight of December 31st. The Treaty of Lisbon was supposed to take effect on January 1st. This would mean the EU citizens would vote for an EU President, who's term would be of 2 and 1/2 years. Currently the term is just 6 months and it rotates from EU country to EU country. The Treaty of Lisbon must be ratified by all 27 Member States. However, Ireland rejected it in a public referendum. Majority of the Irish people who rejected it did so on pure ignorance. Most did not know what the Treaty of Lisbon is. Most never even read it or bothered to search it on the internet. Most new as much about the Treaty of Lisbon as you probably due. They rejected it out of fear and ignorance. This is what the EU founding fathers stated. "Everything about the EU must be done in secrecy."

Greece defies Europe as EMU crisis turns deadly serious
Euroland's revolt has begun. Greece has become the first country on the distressed fringes of Europe's monetary union to defy Brussels and reject the Dark Age leech-cure of wage deflation.
Greece defies Europe as EMU crisis turns deadly serious

European Union looks Like a troubled union.
It is always good for Japan to keep distance from any Union, I think.

Back
Top Bottom