What's new

Why Other Countries Hate Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTourist

後輩
13 Apr 2006
After reading lots of posts here about Japan and the other countries in Asia, why is it that other countries can hate Japan whereas Japan has to stay quiet on on things like that.
I think Japan should be proud of its history and not "apologize" for the past. Every country has done bad things yet the other Asian countries make it seem as if Japan only has done so. I don't see any reason for your country to bow to the other Asian countries wishes.
Now correct me if I'm wrong here- I'm just viewing this from an outside perspective.

I changed the name for you.

It does seem to be a good question. maybe japan is so much better other countries just feel that way.

but this coming from an american should not mean much. I would much rather want to see what someone from korea/china has to say.

Japan's a scapegoat...maybe.
China and Korea have this jingoistic mentality in general.
Japan also has a plenty of reasons to hate and blame others, if she wants to, but she somehow chooses not to..

Last edited:
To; TheTourist and others,

I have always found "hatred" the wrong word. Anyhow I stand far above that type of feelings.
And indeed, Japan has a very interesting history, except for those 15 years of occupation in China and Korea ... and 3½ years of World War Two in the Far East.
But that is no reason to "hate" the Japanese people, wars are always decided by governments not by us the peoples.
Old men declare wars and young men have to fight the wars and risk to lose their lifes.

Do you know that some Japanese soldiers fought together with the Allied Powers against Germany? Everything is possible!

What China, Korea and other countries that suffered badly under the Japanese occupation ask, is that the Japanese government admits the atrocities the Japanese soldiers commited in the occupied countries. It were not just accidents, it were really atrocities.
The Japanese government during WW II, made many of us suffer, killed many of us, our grandparents, our parents, little children. Today those of us who have survived that war, are getting old to getting very old, but the Japanese governments refuse to admit all the crimes that were done by the Japanese
soldiers to us during WW II.
Governments are always responsable, not the people in the street.

I go to Japanese restaurants without any bad feelings, my son drives a Japanese car, I don't see any problems at all.

Every country has done bad things yet the other Asian countries make it seem as if Japan only has done so. I don't see any reason for your country to bow to the other Asian countries wishes.
Now correct me if I'm wrong here- I'm just viewing

In Australia we are taught about the stolen generation. In America the students there are taught about their black slavery history and the civil rights movement. And in Europe history of what the Nazis did are also taught.

But in Japan, it has been done many times, people question young people in Japan about what they acknowledge about what occurred during the second world war regarding Japan and the responses are always "no" or they've heard of it but don't know anything about it.

Japan also has a plenty of reasons to hate and blame others, if she wants to, but she somehow chooses not to..

I disagree, there are much more reasons other Asian nations can blame Japan for. Many Asian nations still harbor bitter memories - whether direct or indirect - of Japan's wartime aggression, occupation and atrocities.

Japanese troops subjected to the Chinese/Korean people are probably the worst brutality in the history of mankind. It was that bad. But Chinese/Koreans lives aren't considered worth much in the west, so in the west people rarely even recognize or talk about these tragedies. The other Asian nations also suffered a lot during the Japanese invasion in the second world war, not just China and Korea.

To; TheTourist and others,
I have always found "hatred" the wrong word. Anyhow I stand far above that type of feelings.
And indeed, Japan has a very interesting history, except for those 15 years of occupation in China and Korea ... and 3½ years of World War Two in the Far East.
But that is no reason to "hate" the Japanese people, wars are always decided by governments not by us the peoples.
Old men declare wars and young men have to fight the wars and risk to lose their lifes.
Do you know that some Japanese soldiers fought together with the Allied Powers against Germany? Everything is possible!
What China, Korea and other countries that suffered badly under the Japanese occupation ask, is that the Japanese government admits the atrocities the Japanese soldiers commited in the occupied countries. It were not just accidents, it were really atrocities.
The Japanese government during WW II, made many of us suffer, killed many of us, our grandparents, our parents, little children. Today those of us who have survived that war, are getting old to getting very old, but the Japanese governments refuse to admit all the crimes that were done by the Japanese
soldiers to us during WW II.
Governments are always responsable, not the people in the street.
I go to Japanese restaurants without any bad feelings, my son drives a Japanese car, I don't see any problems at all.

Excellent post Elizabeth! I think the same as you. If Japan wants to have a better relationship with her Asian Neighbours she needs to put effort to delete the resentment her neighbours have towards her. All Japan do is just concentrating on her relationship with the west.

Last edited:
Unhappiness.

The soul taken over by something enormous, which is beyond ideas that can be described in words, such as envy, inferiority complex or insecurity.

It does not go away no matter how many times they chant the mantra "brutal atrocity, right-wing militarism, rewriting history" in order to reassure themselves everyday.

It is relatively easy to imagine what it is like to grow up in a dysfunctional family; what if the culture of a whole society has an issue.

I disagree, there are much more reasons other Asian nations can blame Japan for. Many Asian nations still harbor bitter memories - whether direct or indirect - of Japan's wartime aggression, occupation and atrocities.

Japanese troops subjected to the Chinese/Korean people are probably the worst brutality in the history of mankind. It was that bad. Much worse than anything the Germans were capable of. But Chinese/Koreans lives aren't considered worth much in the west, so in the west people rarely even recognize or talk about these tragedies. The other Asian nations also suffered a lot during the Japanese invasion in the second world war, not just China and Korea.

Indeed, and the Japanese refuse to acknowledge events like Nanking. I can certainly see why this would be cause for hurt feelings.

I don't think the west thinks less of asian lives than of west ones; rather, many people are completely desensitized to all violence. While the US media likes to report how many Americans died in incidents abroad, sometimes ignoring total death tolls, I don't think the average westerner reacts any more to a death in Canada than to one in China than to one in Brazil. People naturally react more to domestic death, if only because it hits closer to home.

To say the Japanese treatment of its occupied lands during its imperialistic eras was the most brutal in the history of mankind is a pretty bold statement. Many countries and peoples have committed atrocities, and I think it's a bit irresponsible to rank them. But maybe it's just me.

MeAndroo said:
Indeed, and the Japanese refuse to acknowledge events like Nanking. I can certainly see why this would be cause for hurt feelings.
I don't think the west thinks less of asian lives than of west ones; rather, many people are completely desensitized to all violence. While the US media likes to report how many Americans died in incidents abroad, sometimes ignoring total death tolls, I don't think the average westerner reacts any more to a death in Canada than to one in China than to one in Brazil. People naturally react more to domestic death, if only because it hits closer to home.

Yes most people are more concern about themselves than others.

To say the Japanese treatment of its occupied lands during its imperialistic eras was the most brutal in the history of mankind is a pretty bold statement. Many countries and peoples have committed atrocities, and I think it's a bit irresponsible to rank them. But maybe it's just me.

I said probably not definately.

Japan shouldn't have to acknowledge anything except the fact that she has internal problem that are far more relevant than what happened at Nanking.

Other nations like Korea and China who hate Japan, hate because of jealousy.
When they are in their own country they can't help but point their own bloodstained hands down the throat of the Japanese, why ? Because Japan has the highest Standard of Living than those countries combined . China is the most pathetic of all countries in the world. They have over 60 billion tons of undrinkable water, higher than any country in the world probably.

Japan not only has the highest Standard of Living but the quality of life is far better than her neighbours.

Nobody cares about China !

I was actually hoping for a qeustion such as: Why do other countries Love Japan...

To many negative things on this forum about Japan sometimes.. where's the love?

SHRAPNEL wrote; Nobody cares about China.

Very rich Americans want Chinese nannies into their homes to teach their children Chinese.
So their children will be able to speak Chinese even before they go to school,
and that is because of the near future when China will be the strongest economic country in the world.
I for one, do care about China.

Baka wrote; I was actually hoping for a question such as: Why do other countries Love Japan...

One can love a country for many reasons; You love Japan, because you love your Japanese wife, and that is great.
I love Indonesia, it is the country where I grew up and I have always liked the Indonesians very much.

But LOVE in general for countries and peoples, I guess that we have to look in the direction of Tibet. Not only at the Daila Lama, but also at the Panchen Lama, he calls for self-cultifation for world's harmony.
Today 1000 Buddhist monks will pray for for world peace.

We all have to learn to give, giving will make you much happier than receiving.

I think the problem doesnt rest with Japan.

Simply put, east asia is just too political and hateful against japan, so japan is going to continue to ignore them.

Until korea, China, asia in general can grow up, stop being so nationalistic, and be in an attitude to forgive, then japan can apologise.

As i stated elsewhere, it takes both parties doing the hard thing, for china and korea its sucking it up and forgiving.

Yes, but some official recognition is necessary on Japan's part, and some cpmpensation to some of the vicitims' families. Most other cases have brought this about (in Germany, Switzerland, USA, etc), but Japan hides behind earlier treaties and word games. Then again, recently the US does something almost as bad with this Guantanamo business.😌

To Elizabeth van Kampen:
It's funny how you mentioned Tibet monks praying for world peace and your care for China while China has been systematically destorying Tibet culture and slaughtering Tibetans for more than 50 years. I am sorry for your war experience but I have a very different view on the Chinese than you.

I totally agree with your learn to give and world peace point of view. I think it's a very nobel cause and I believe every nation in the world has the responsibility to contribute to the overall well-being of mankind. So my question for all the Chinese sympathizer on this forum is this: What has China done to contribute to world peace and the well-being of mankind?

In modern Chinese history, China has produced the 2 of the world's most infamous killers namely Mao and Chiang Kai Shek. It is estimated they are accountable for 40million Chinese lives lost during China's civil war. If you dig a little more into Chinese history, you will find that Chinese people are more than capable of committing human atrocities than any other nation ever existed in this world.

Do I feel sorry for what Japanese did to Chinese during WWII? My human moral instinct tells me I should but at the same time I am disgusted by most Chinese's double standard when it comes to valuing human life. To me, any human life is of equal value, Chinese people somehow find lives lost from war with Japanese more valuable and deserve more notice and they make a HUGE deal out of it while the 40million civil war death is not mentioned one bit. I hardly feel sorry for the Chinese when I see them openly paying respect to Mao and Chiang Kai Shek while cursing the Japanese for visiting Yasukuni Jinja.

"Who controls the past controls the future;Who controls the present controls the past"
--by George Orwell
Think about it~
then ,I'd like give the answer of it :Japan trys to control the past.

Last edited:
4321go said:
"Who controls the past controls the future;Who controls the present controls the past"
--by George Orwell
Think about it~
then ,I'd like give the answer of it :Japan try to controls the past.

What does Japan control?
Please teach it to be concrete.🙂
Because I am not educated in China.
I may not know it.:eek:

4321go said:
--by George Orwell
Think about it~
then ,I'd like give the answer of it :Japan try to controls the past.

Hello 4321go, being busy with school, will get back to our China thread soon!

godppgo said:
Hello 4321go, being busy with school, will get back to our China thread soon!
hehe, waiting for you~ ^_^
Hiroyuki Nagashima said:
What does Japan control?
Please teach it to be concrete.🙂
Because I am not educated in China.
I may not know it.:eek:
This has been talked by so many guys in this forum ,please search it , you will find many of these posts are elaborate and to the point.
In short, Japanese Rightists tamper with history and try to beautify war,it will influence the future.

Last edited:
Hello godppgo,

Tibet is the black page for China, they should never have occupied this so very peacful country. Very sad that the Daila Lama has to live outside his country.
I don't feel sorry for Chinese government, but for the many Chinese people who suffered during WW II under the Japanese, and then under Mao, too sad for words how those Chinese poor farmer families suffered. I sincerely hope that they are in for better times.
I have a Dutch friend who has an documentary exhibition of the Unit 731, he received this from a Chinese friend who is now living in Canada. This Dutch friend goes all over Holland with this exhibition and many people who come to see it are shocked, they didn't know that such a drama like the Unit 731 has really existed. I help my friend now and then during the exhibition, that why I know how people react.

All I can say godppgo is that I really hope that there will not be an other war like World War Two.
Of course there are still horrible wars going on, in Afrca and in the Middle East, but to me a world war is even worse. Or am I wrong?

I think the best we can do is to pray with the Buddhists for peace all over the world and just keep on hoping that it works.

4321go said:
hehe, waiting for you~ ^_^
This has been talked by so many guys in this forum ,please search it , you will find many of these posts are elaborate and to the point.
In short, Japanese Rightists tamper with history and try to beautify war,it will influence the future.
I want to know what a Japanese right-winger is going to revise.

Minty said:
Japanese troops subjected to the Chinese/Korean people are probably the worst brutality in the history of mankind. It was that bad. But Chinese/Koreans lives aren't considered worth much in the west, so in the west people rarely even recognize or talk about these tragedies. The other Asian nations also suffered a lot during the Japanese invasion in the second world war, not just China and Korea.
godppgo said:
Do I feel sorry for what Japanese did to Chinese during WWII? My human moral instinct tells me I should but at the same time I am disgusted by most Chinese's double standard when it comes to valuing human life. To me, any human life is of equal value, Chinese people somehow find lives lost from war with Japanese more valuable and deserve more notice and they make a HUGE deal out of it while the 40million civil war death is not mentioned one bit. I hardly feel sorry for the Chinese when I see them openly paying respect to Mao and Chiang Kai Shek while cursing the Japanese for visiting Yasukuni Jinja.
A good point!! It's a double standard when someone says that the Japanese did the worst. It's easier to blame an outsider (particularly a loser). The Chinese gov is directing the ppl's attention away from the atrocities that their leaders have done.

My history teacher (British) back in HS said, what Japan did was like nothing compared to what Mao Ze Dong did. (I think she was not particularly making favorable comments for Japan, because there were Chinese students, too. )

Doing less doesn't justify the killing itself, but the claim that the Japanese did the worst is meaningless.

Last edited:
osias said:
A good point!! It's a double standard when someone says that the Japanese did the worst. It's easier to blame an outsider (particularly a loser). The Chinese gov is direnting the ppl's attention away from the attrocities that their leaders have done.
My history teacher (British) back in HS said, what Japan did was like nothing compared to what Mao Ze Dong did. (I think she was not particularly making favorable comments for Japan, because there were Chinese students, too. )
Doing less doesn't justify the killing itself, but the claim that the Japanese did the worst is meaningless.

It is so good that Japan is a loser ,but it is not so good that the other country who did the bad things are the winner ,they didn't suffer the punishment yet~~

I think it is the major reason to why Japan refuse to accept what it has done really is and repent for it~It even think what it has done is right,but unfortunatelyツ,it failed .

A confession of sin would make Japan more respectable?but why Japan don't do this? Maybe it didn't see the winner 's confession , should only the loser repent?

Maybe someone sympathize the loser will say: there aren't justice but winner~

But ,please be wise~~! Why do Japan tamper with history and try to beautify war. Even the winner don't tamper with history .but why Japan could , defiant instead of repent .

4321go said:
It is so good that Japan is a loser ,but it is not so good that the other country who did the bad things are the winner ,they didn't suffer the punishment yetツ ̄ツ ̄
I think it is the major reason to why Japan refuse to accept what it has done really is and repent for itツ ̄It even think what it has done is right,but unfortunatelyツ,it failed .
A confession of sin would make Japan more respectable?but why Japan don't do this? Maybe it didn't see the winner 's confession , should only the loser repent?
Maybe someone sympathize the loser will say: there aren't justice but winnerツ ̄
But ,please be wiseツ ̄ツ ̄! Why do Japan tamper with history and try to beautify war. Even the winner don't tamper with history .but why Japan could , defiant instead of repent .

When different ppl see one event, one person may describe this event in one way, and another person may describe this event in another way. Basically, history does favor to those who are in power. Justice is with the winners.

When the war was over, the Americans revised Japanese history in favor of the winner countries. Their view was pushed on Japan. What once was a war with the right cause turned out to be a wrong one. The value altered 180 degrees. Once the war was lost, justifying the war was a taboo. In general, J ppl do not like making excuses.

But some J ppl think this history does not really reflect the reality, because it's not the way they see it. To say that the Japanese trying to white out their history and beautifying the war would be an over-statement. At least, they are trying to be accurate on their own, because they think what is written in their history is wrong. But still others oppose it, because it again contradicts with what has been said for decades.

Why is this happening? One reason may be that ppl are developing a case of 'apology fatigue'. So many irrational criticisms from the neighboring countries. They are taking advantage of Japanese apologies. Their govs are ripping off the J gov. Do Chinese/Korean ppl know anything about Japanese ODA?? Do they know anything about Japanese contributions to their countries after the war?

That's the way I see it. If you say that the J are beautifying the war, why not accuse others for beautifying their history, too?? Obviously, China & Korea think they are Japan's superiors, that's why they oppose the revision of Japan's history.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom