Question Usage of tōten (、) in Japanese

Kyon82

Registered
2 Oct 2018
Hi everybody!

I've just finished watching a movie where the main character says these words:
誰かを好きになった時、誰もが抱く、その謎をね。

My translation could be something along these lines:
When loving someone, everyone embraces the mystery.

Since the leading actor pauses after both 誰かを好きになった時 and 誰もが抱く, I was wondering whether, were I to transcribe his lines, I would be supposed to emphasize these pauses by using tōten two times (as I actually did). Should I remove a tōten (or even both of them) would the sentence still make sense?

Thank you all!

There is no strict rule about the position of a comma in Japanese, so you can put it anywhere you want, even in the middle of a word. For instance, I've seen an exression 「ちがわ、ないわ(= 違わないわ)」 in a novel. The author put the comma there to show that the speaker said while sobbing.

Thank you, you are very kind. Could you please allow me to bother you with another question? What do you think about my translation? Do you find it accurate?

It depends on the context. For instance, if the previous sentence continues to it, 誰もが抱く might modify その謎.

Just some additional trivia since I see it as a very interesting subject.

父は、車に乗って飛行場に行った母を追いかけた。 Dad went after mom who took the car to the airport.
父は車に乗って、飛行場に行った母を追いかけた。 Dad went after mom taking the car to the airport.

As mentioned, there are no strict rules on where you cannot put a comma in Japanese, but there are cases that when if you don't put in in a certain place, it changes the whole meaning of the sentence. Of course, this can be avoided altogether by restructuring the sentence.

車で飛行場へ行った母を父は追いかけた。Dad went after mom who took the car to the airport.
父は車で母を飛行場まで追いかけた。Dad went after mom taking the car to the airport.

If you search "読点で意味が変わる" in Google, there will be a bunch of articles on it so it's an issue with even the Japanese people.

Back
Top Bottom