What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

How to say "my love" in Japanese

bblibra

後輩
Reaction score
how would you call someone "my love" in japanese like when you call someone "my love" in english...... if there is some other expression, what is that........ such as "my sweetheart, my darling, my heart, etc." thanks

bblibra

後輩
Reaction score
I am female and I want to call a man "my love"..... but please tell me what a man would call a woman as well....... thanks very much......

Elizabeth

先輩
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I think "anata" is usually enough for women-->men as dear or sweetheart although some married women just their husband's name name + chan. For men, maybe "kimi" for you is the most standard term of affection.

fixelbrumpf

先輩
Reaction score
Apparently, there's also "itoshii" (愛しい), which is an adjective. I'm not sure how common it is, though.

Ayane

後輩
Reaction score
Sorry to bother again but could you show me how to write it as well? :)

Taruru~

Kouhai
Reaction score
Hmm.. In Japan you never use such names of affection the way americans do, for example..
The nearest you can come, is calling eachother's names a bit cuter.
Like shortening the name and adding "chan" to it.

"Anata", which means "you", is what a wife would say to her husband..
But he would call her by her name..

Elizabeth

先輩
Reaction score
I have heard a wife using the name + chan for her husband, but it must be fairly rare. And he is so cute 😍

Last edited:

Taruru~

Kouhai
Reaction score
Un, using "anata" is very traditional, and I guess that in modern days like these, people are beginning to change that..
I wouldn't want to stop calling him "anata" instead of that very personal nickname. That nickname is a sign of how close two people are.. I wouldn't want to just throw that away.. Ô_o

Elizabeth

先輩
Reaction score
I do still feel a little insecure when even close Japanese friends continue to call me "anata," though,....but maybe it is considered polite for addressing foreigners? Especially from men to women with a lower social standing.

Taruru~

Kouhai
Reaction score
They call you "anata"? hmm...It is more polite, yes.
And if you're an adult.. maybe the politeness is stronger.. o_O
I'm 17 and my friends and classmates were all more intimate in their language from the start. Like calling me "Hana-chan" or just "Hana".

Elizabeth

先輩
Reaction score
Kind of more and less polite (than using the person's name) at the same time? ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom