What's new

Japan's step by step for regaining "Takeshima"

Over here in Korea they are printing T-shirts that say in English, "Do you know? Dok-do [Takeshima] belongs to Korea!"

I have conversations about Dok-do/Takeshima constantly. I can't avoid them. My coworkers bring them up. My neighbors bring them up. Korea Telecom took out a full-page ad in The New York Times stating that Dok-do is Korea's.

The conversation usually ends up like this:

Me: Why is Dok-do Korea's? It's two rocks. They're worthless.
Korean: But they are our rocks.
Me: How are they yours?
Korean: They belong to Korea.
Me: Yes, but Japan says they belong to Japan.
Korean: They are lying. The TV and the government said so.
Me: Where is your proof that Dok-do belongs to Korea?
Korean: ... It just does.

Great rhetoric here. I've actually done some research into the whole thing and it appears that the rocks (I refuse to call them islands) are the source of a fishing dispute, which is corollary to why the Koreans are p--sed that some people call it "the Sea of Japan" rather than the "East Sea" (like the Koreans call it). The Koreans have, in my opinion, a slightly stronger claim, but that's it--a claim. There's no real 100% authoritative, objective proof that the Liancourt Rocks fall within either nation's territory.

The best question to ask the Koreans, though is, "Are you willing to go to war with Japan over Dok-do." I've gotten a variety of responses, but never a "yes." Somehow, I think they know Japan would clean their clocks again if it ever came to blows.

I think the UN should declare it a wildlife refuge or drop a tactical nuclear bomb on it. Both countries are acting like children who can't share a toy.

I think the UN should declare it a wildlife refuge or drop a tactical nuclear bomb on it. Both countries are acting like children who can't share a toy.

As far as I know, somebody (Japanese politicians) already cited such some 50 years ago.

One more thing .... as you know, Japan is very quiet and acting very diplomatically, and ordinary Japanese are smiling as usual. However, Koreans know that they have FEW point 🙂

One more thing .... as you know, Japan is very quiet and acting very diplomatically, and ordinary Japanese are smiling as usual. However, Koreans know that they have FEW point
Actually, I think Korea's claim to the Liancourt Rocks is more solid than Japan's. It's just that Korea is tired of being the middle child that gets overlooked and kicked around. They are going to beat this issue to death because they want to win at least one victory against Japan in contemporary history. Korean culture sees itself as a victim, and they are like dog that's been kicked one too many times. They are desparate to get these damn rocks because it has become a symbol to them of their national pride. They'll do anything short of declare war to get them, no matter how underhanded.

I think the Japanese know this, so they are behaving much more moderately and diplomatically.

It still annoys me, though. Like I said, I think people should blow them up and then say, "Now nobody gets them."

Actually, I think Korea's claim to the Liancourt Rocks is more solid than Japan's. It's just that Korea is tired of being the middle child that gets overlooked and kicked around. They are going to beat this issue to death because they want to win at least one victory against Japan in contemporary history. Korean culture sees itself as a victim, and they are like dog that's been kicked one too many times. They are desparate to get these damn rocks because it has become a symbol to them of their national pride. They'll do anything short of declare war to get them, no matter how underhanded.
I think the Japanese know this, so they are behaving much more moderately and diplomatically.
It still annoys me, though. Like I said, I think people should blow them up and then say, "Now nobody gets them."

Everybody knows that. That's why Japan "sometimes" bring up this issue, letting us keep distance from them.

In other words, they try to provoke Japan to a quarrel as they know Japan will not offend. So, in a way, dangerous. But they are also a good customer of Japanese manufacturers.

One more thing for you. There was no war between Japan and Korea in the modern history, but Japan annexed them as they were uncivilized. If not, it was/is a part of Russia, and being same as North Korea. 😊

Last edited:
But it defeats the purpose of this thread.:)

The purpose of this thread is to let the world know the territorial isssue over the island. Takeshima is not a island that people can live, and thus it is not urgent matter for Japan. In fact, J-gov has waited for negotiation for more than 50 years.

Time is unlimited. So, it is good enough to raise the issue once a year.
Then the world could see and enjoy something interesting. 😊

lol,astroboy i belive that protesting will not change anything.Corea and japan should open a new page of relationship then they can live without worry about the future...
best wishes for the two people ^^

lol,astroboy i belive that protesting will not change anything.Corea and japan should open a new page of relationship then they can live without worry about the future...
best wishes for the two people ^^

I totally agree with that. More harms than benefits would be brought in if the Japanese side continues to evoke the Korean people.

LOL. That's why I said.

Time is unlimited. So, it is good enough to raise the issue once a year.

Let's enjoy it !

Personally I am not too interested in this issue. I do enjoy reading people's opinions regarding topics they are passionate about. Astroboy said time is unlimited and, Takeshima will always be there. Just like the Israeli-Palestinian territory issue, this topic will never fade. I guessツ…ツ…ツ….. I do know that in 1 billion years or so our sun will go super nova and our solar system will no longer exist. ^0^
Would anybody really care about Takeshima or Jeruzalem then? So Astroboy! You don't have forever!^0^

Back
Top Bottom