What's new

Japan Is a Sleeping Giant

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just one man's opinion, but the OP really hasn't said anything yet. I think we shouldn't respond to him him further until he gives us something to respond to first.

What's the " O P " ?
OP can refer to two things.

It can either refer to the opening post or the person who posted it.

Opening Post (O.P.)
Opening Poster (O.P.)

Or you may replace "opening" with "original" if you prefer.

Kyoto Returnee, I wish I had your problem. My little giant hasn't had need to wake up in so long that I wonder if he even remembers what "consciousness" is like at all! :p

Once more I'll ask: what aspects of Japanese culture are being aggressively spread, in what way, and (I'll add) to what end, do you think?

Agressively Spread:
Possibly food, although I'm sure not intentionally.

to what end, do you think?
Possibly no end as healthy food seems to be the future and yummy to boot!

I'm no expert on the above, just my opinion.

Hope I assesed your questions correctly

Last edited:
OP can refer to two things.

It can either refer to the opening post or the person who posted it.

Opening Post (O.P.)
Opening Poster (O.P.)

Or you may replace "opening" with "original" if you prefer.

Kyoto Returnee, I wish I had your problem. My little giant hasn't had need to wake up in so long that I wonder if he even remembers what "consciousness" is like at all! :p
Thanks DB and MO:

I was a little confused to the topic quoted on the OP-OP myself.

Mikawa-san
Give you LG a wake up call as it will do him the world of good:flame:

Godwind san. I suggest that you do as you have been asked to. Otherwise, you may come off looking quite trollish in nature, which is something that hasn't worked well here on the forum in the past, and probably won't in the future, either.
If I appear trollish, that's your perception, since it was never my intent. I was, of course, aware of the response I might provoke, but threats won't convince me to censor myself.

put a concrete number of years
62 years

describe the verb 'employ'
Employ a dictionary.

define and give example of what 'cultural imperialism' means here
Based on existing replies, it's apparently understood, so that would be again redundant.

and give examples of what 'under guise of seeming innocence' can be construed to be.
Read my second post in this thread.

You have given a premise which is about as empty as any can be, and then have asked a question which pressumes that premise to have been accepted by the audience. If there is any example of invalid argumentation, this is surely one.
It's your perception that we're engaged in a formal debate, not mine. If my alleged argumentation were truly invalid, it would be unnecessary to defend yourself to this extent, yet you do.

Please answer concretely to those who have asked you to do so above !!
The information that nice gaijin seeks has been provided.

AND...I do not mean 'maybe'
Then why did you say "please"?

after a cup of tea or two, or a little more soaking up of the sunshine.
I don't consume caffeine, which tea contains, and if possible, I try to avoid subjecting my skin to UV radiation. It's unlikely that I would be engaged in either of those activities. Regardless, this is an ad hominem attack, which constitutes your aforementioned "invalid argumentation". Don't expect me to take your advice on debate when you blatantly contradict yourself in this manner.

If I may answer before MadameP, it was you Godwind who implied that it was bad with your first post.
That's your perception.

To write words like "under the guise" and "seeming innocence" pretty much point to the so-called cultural imperialism having a hidden agenda, and that's not exactly considered a positive thing.
I'm indifferent to subjectivism.

I also agree with Mars Man (a moderator here). Your whole post smacks of trollism. People who truly want to discuss things don't just open fire with a sensationalistic remark and then dodge answers. Trolls do.
If the perceived "sensationalistic remark" had been in obvious praise and/or compatible with your own opinions, you would likely be saying the complete opposite. However, I agree that I should be more prudent with sensitive topics, but your calling me a troll won't inspire me to do that in the future.

What is "cultural imperialism" to you?
The objective definition, as commonly understood, is my understanding.

What is the "campaign"? In other words, give examples.
If I directly answer, it'll reflect poorly on you. I ask that you reread the original post, because the agenda in question is directly stated therein.

And, just what hidden agenda are you implying with your "under the guise" remark?
Look above.

Go ahead, spit it out, or we'll be forced to try reading your mind, and that only wastes time and creates problems.
You nor anyone else is obligated to respond to me, so I don't understand how you'll be forced. In any case, if you must respond, there won't be problems if you don't respond negatively.

I really don't know why some are taking this thread so seriously.
It challenges their preconceived notions; people are conservative by nature. In addition, because Japanese culture may largely define their identities, any perceived attack on Japanese culture is interpreted as a personal attack by association.

Even if Japan was planning some sort of imperialist cultural takeover, I'm sure it could be done far more effectively than with manga, video games and automobiles.
Yes, but then it would be obvious and thus less effective. It's much easier to damage your enemy when they don't anticipate the attack--and more devastating.

Japan makes electronic and other such goods that are shipped across the world and, yes, competes with other nations companies to sell more, be bigger and be more successful....it's called business. The whole world does it. If you are really worried about takeover by productivity, I'd worry more about China, not Japan.
I'm questioning the motive in devoting so many resources to productivity when it's in gross excess of what's required for acceptable sustainability, especially when Japan has a history of sacrificing environmental integrity to accelerate economic progess. Why damage yourself in order to conquer another, economically or not, when the other is no true threat to your safety? In this case, there's a deficit of gain in doing so, unless something greater, which exceeds the combined value of all contributed resources, offset by minor gains, is to be gained in succeeding.

No, not really.

I think a lot of this imperialism stems from the old school which won't be around for ever.

The generations in Japan are very different and I believe in 20 years time, Japan will be a totally different place to what it is today.
Interesting. Good post.

Godwind, you're being a jerk.
Do you honestly think people will discuss issues with you when you treat them like children?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom