What's new

Japan Is a Sleeping Giant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godwind

Registered
18 Jan 2008
For decades, Japan has employed a campaign of cultural imperialism under the guise of seeming innocence. Do you think this is a prelude to something greater?

What exactly do you mean by "a campaign of cultural imperialism under the guise of seeming innocence"?

and how are they doing this? Is there a singular entity that is accountable for this, as you say, cultural imperialism?

and how are they doing this? Is there a singular entity that is accountable for this, as you say, cultural imperialism?
Singular in what context? For example, in the world arena, the Japanese collective would classify as a singular entity.

Japanese collective? Is there a concerted effort to aggressively spread Japanese culture? Do you have any proof of this?

Japanese collective? Is there a concerted effort to aggressively spread Japanese culture? Do you have any proof of this?
If there is no concerted effort, how it is that Japanese culture has aggressively spread? Less is obviously assumed in implicating the Japanese themselves, when they have the best means and possible motive.

What has been aggressive about the spread of Japanese culture, and what qualifies as Japanese culture? Anime showing up on the cartoon network?

What has been aggressive about the spread of Japanese culture, and what qualifies as Japanese culture? Anime showing up on the cartoon network?
Although you're being irreverent, yes, anime is qualifying contributor; however it hasn't only recently emerged. Anime has aired on Cartoon Network for the last 12+ years AFAIK.

By the way, I think that, in respect, you should properly capitalize Cartoon Network if you're going to draft them as leverage.

Oh snap, Japan manages to be a major seller of comics, cartoons and video games outside their own country, and all of a sudden it's cultural imperialism?

Tell me, how was Space Invaders cultural imperialism? Or any of Japan's common exports for that matter?

I prefer cultural spread. Cultural imperialism means subjugating other cultures. Like Christianity destroying the Pagan religions of Europe. It gives people, though only small, a chance to familiarize themselves with Japanese culture. They don't even get to hear it in Japanese unless they buy the DVD or download illegally online.

If anything was made to purposely bring a positive image of Japanese worldwide, that would be hello kitty. Anime at large started out with a cult fanbase outside Japan. Foreign anime fans had to fight for their anime. Eventually now it's become more mainstream. So anime's popularity is by large not even from Japan's intention.

But even if it were, there's nothing wrong with Japan trying to market Japanese products to give people in other countries a familiar experience with their culture to help improve international relations.

If there's anyone who's media influence should be referred to as imperialism, it's the United States. As we DOMINATE entertainment culture. American movies and music are popular in Japan and everywhere. Japanese and other non-English movies and music are not popular in America.

Although you're being irreverent, yes, anime is qualifying contributor; however it hasn't only recently emerged. Anime has aired on Cartoon Network for the last 12+ years AFAIK.

By the way, I think that, in respect, you should properly capitalize Cartoon Network if you're going to draft them as leverage.
I'm not being irreverent, I'm trying to establish the parameters of your claim. Anime is probably the single most visible product of Japan in foreign countries (that is recognized as such), but I can't say that I see it as much of a tool for the spread of Japanese cultural imperialism. It seems far more likely that it's just a business move. Anime is a very profitable industry, and it doesn't take a genius to realize that Japan is not the only potential market to profit from. Is there some underlying message in imported Japanese entertainment that we're missing?

And you're right, I should have capitalized Cartoon Network, I just didn't bother. I might as well have said "cartoon channels," or "TV outside Japan," because there are other networks that have picked up anime shows.

So I ask again, what aspects of Japanese culture are being aggressively spread, and in what way?

kireikoori:
Your Pagan analogy is apt. Japanese imports have become so ubiquitous as to replace their American counterparts in many cases. Cars, video games, electronics, and (again) anime immediately come to mind. As for American culture, it's not more popular in Japan than Japanese culture, so this point is moot from any angle.

nice gaijin:
The Toyota automobile is invariably more recognizable than anime. Further, the fact that Japanese corporations profit from anime exports doesn't acquit them from an ulterior motive. Capital underlies the function of all production in a capitalistic nation, which Japan is.

So I ask again, what aspects of Japanese culture are being aggressively spread, and in what way?

Must be all those sushi shops. I'd say it's a definite takeover plot.
It's cultural invasion by sushi and anime, immediate action needs to be taken! Quickly everyone, stop watching Pokemon, put down those sushi rolls and prepare to defend yourself against the Japanese invasion!

The best defense is to read endless amounts of old Superman comics and eating Apple Pie. Seeing Superman defeating Hitler while consuming concentrated liberty is the only way. The only way, I tell you!

defeatedjpg-1.jpg

ARGGGH!! They got me! Superman was defeated by the power of repeated plot lines, stale characters and school girl uniforms!

Anime was...to......much.......*faints*

so, do all products from Japan qualify as elements of cultural imperialism? That's casting an awfully wide net.
Further, the fact that Japanese corporations profit from anime exports doesn't acquit them from an ulterior motive.
nor does it convict them. Companies in other countries also profit from this, are they in on the conspiracy? The claim is yours, as is the burden of proof.

Capital underlies the function of all production in a capitalistic nation, which Japan is.
So, wouldn't it be more accurate to just say that capitalism encourages an exchange of goods and cultural materials across international borders?

MadamePapillon, who ever said the Japanese invasion is a bad thing?

Last edited:
so, do all products from Japan qualify as elements of cultural imperialism? That's casting an awfully wide net.
I was responding to your point wherein you claimed that anime is the most recognizable import.

nor does it convict them.
This is non-sequitur. I never suggested or implied that profiting from anime sales convicts them of cultural imperialism. Why would it?

Companies in other countries also profit from this, are they in on the conspiracy?
If I'm correct, probably.

The claim is yours, as is the burden of proof.
I've been speculating from the beginning.

So, wouldn't it be more accurate to just say that capitalism encourages an exchange of goods and cultural materials across international borders?
No; capitalism necessitates the exchange. But you're digressing again.

I was responding to your point wherein you claimed that anime is the most recognizable import.
The discussion was about cultural imperialism, so I thought that products that could be considered cultural artifacts were to be discussed. If you believe that a vehicle from a Japanese company qualifies as such, let us know.

Once more I'll ask: what aspects of Japanese culture are being aggressively spread, in what way, and (I'll add) to what end, do you think?

The discussion was about cultural imperialism, so I thought that products that could be considered cultural artifacts were to be discussed. If you believe that a vehicle from a Japanese company qualifies as such, let us know.
Toyota is the most successful automaker in the world.

Once more I'll ask: what aspects of Japanese culture are being aggressively spread, in what way, and (I'll add) to what end, do you think?
Reformulate your question into something less redundant.

Godwind san. I suggest that you do as you have been asked to. Otherwise, you may come off looking quite trollish in nature, which is something that hasn't worked well here on the forum in the past, and probably won't in the future, either.

For decades, Japan has employed a campaign of cultural imperialism under the guise of seeming innocence. Do you think this is a prelude to something greater?

Please define the terms of your premise: put a concrete number of years, describe the verb 'employ,' define and give example of what 'cultural imperialism' means here, and give examples of what 'under guise of seeming innocence' can be construed to be.

You have given a premise which is about as empty as any can be, and then have asked a question which pressumes that premise to have been accepted by the audience. If there is any example of invalid argumentation, this is surely one.

Please answer concretely to those who have asked you to do so above !! AND...I do not mean 'maybe,' after a cup of tea or two, or a little more soaking up of the sunshine.

MadamePapillon, who ever said the Japanese invasion is a bad thing?
If I may answer before MadameP, it was you Godwind who implied that it was bad with your first post. To write words like "under the guise" and "seeming innocence" pretty much point to the so-called cultural imperialism having a hidden agenda, and that's not exactly considered a positive thing.

I also agree with Mars Man (a moderator here). Your whole post smacks of trollism. People who truly want to discuss things don't just open fire with a sensationalistic remark and then dodge answers. Trolls do.

What is the "campaign"? In other words, give examples.
What is "cultural imperialism" to you?
And, just what hidden agenda are you implying with your "under the guise" remark? Go ahead, spit it out, or we'll be forced to try reading your mind, and that only wastes time and creates problems.

You took the words right out of my mouth Glenski. 😌
I really don't know why some are taking this thread so seriously. Even if Japan was planning some sort of imperialist cultural takeover, I'm sure it could be done far more effectively than with manga, video games and automobiles.

Japan makes electronic and other such goods that are shipped across the world and, yes, competes with other nations companies to sell more, be bigger and be more successful....it's called business. The whole world does it.

If you are really worried about takeover by productivity, I'd worry more about China, not Japan.

No, not really.

I think a lot of this imperialism stems from the old school which won't be around for ever.

The generations in Japan are very different and I believe in 20 years time, Japan will be a totally different place to what it is today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom