What's new

Does it looks like death ? 死 (for japanese writers and speakers)

thomas rrr

Registered
27 Jul 2016
Hi everyone,

I do a typographic artistic project and i saw that le word/letter "death" in japanese Kanji is this : 死
And i figured that, visualy, it looked like a bit like the english word "THE" so i would like to change 死 to make it look more like "THE" without changing it too much so we can still recognize the word in japanese.
Can you tell me if i didn't altered it too much ? And also wich one do you like better ?

Thanks a lot for your help :) I hope my english wasn't too bad cauz its not my native language.

#3 is the best. The upper horizontal line must not be divided in two lines like #1 and 4, and actually, the upper side of the right vertical line of "H" must be connected to the left line, so #2 is not good.

I agree that #3 is the most legible as 死. Understanding how the characters are written and their stroke order can help provide you with some insight into how they can be modified without affecting legibility (but it's always a good idea to ask native speakers for their opinion!). jisho.org has diagrams and even video of how it's written: #kanji 死 - Jisho.org

What's the project for? Is there some significance in the double-meaning you are going for? Would be interested in seeing the work when it's done.

Back
Top Bottom