What's new

Getting Japanese email address / domain from overseas?

rokurokkubi

後輩
19 Sep 2003
I need to get a .co.jp email address (and maybe a domain) while still in the UK as ideally, I'd like everything internet-related already squared away before I go.

I'd like to test it here certainly, so a webmail facility for the account is a must. If the application needs to be made from inside Japan, that's not a problem... but the people I'd be asking would be complete "Techno-onchi" so things can't be complicated.

What's the best way of going about this? Thanks.

rokurokkubi said:
I need to get a .co.jp email address (and maybe a domain) while still in the UK as ideally, I'd like everything internet-related already squared away before I go.

I'd like to test it here certainly, so a webmail facility for the account is a must. If the application needs to be made from inside Japan, that's not a problem... but the people I'd be asking would be complete "Techno-onchi" so things can't be complicated.

What's the best way of going about this? Thanks.

If you just need .co.jp at the end of your email address then you could go with http://www.yahoo.co.jp/ or http://www.hotmail.co.jp (for the latter you will have to tell them you are in Japan to get a .jp address).

If you decide you need your own .co.jp domain you'll have to get advice from someone else.

That was EXTREMELY helpful, thanks. I didn't realise the .co.jp was more restricted than a .com / .co.uk (or.. is it really? ways around it?)

OK... so lets leave that aside at the moment and say I just want to get a domestic, non-business .co.jp or .ne.jp account with one POP3/webmail account. Where's the best place to go to?

I bought my dot.JP domain name from www.alldomains.com several years ago - but a local presence was required.

The last site that Pooka recommends seems to offer the best deals - in fact, I'm thinking of transferring. They detail the relaxing of the local presence requirements here, so dealing with your application shouldn't be a problem.

Do you have a host picked out?

If you just need .co.jp at the end of your email address then you could go with http://www.yahoo.co.jp/ or http://www.hotmail.co.jp (for the latter you will have to tell them you are in Japan to get a .jp address).

If you decide you need your own .co.jp domain you'll have to get advice from someone else.
How do I sign in to yahoo Japan without a Japanese phone number .

I have already asked many times (we have had many such requests), but I am curious why people need Japanese mail addresses.

I have already asked many times (we have had many such requests), but I am curious why people need Japanese mail addresses.
There are a lot of Japanese online services which accept only Japanese credentials, for example, Jimoty only accepting a Japanese phone number (I've never seen this with emails in particular before; usually gmail is accepted). I'm assuming it's something like that, where the person would need a Japanese email to be eligible to sign up for some Japanese service. Unfortunately it's just way too regulated so there's next to no way that anyone can get a Japanese phone number without being in Japan, and I assume it would be the same for attaining a Japanese email too (because phone numbers are typically required to even sign up for one).
At least as a benefit, you'll rarely receive spam messages/calls compared to some other countries...

There are a lot of Japanese online services which accept only Japanese credentials, for example, Jimoty only accepting a Japanese phone number (I've never seen this with emails in particular before; usually gmail is accepted). I'm assuming it's something like that, where the person would need a Japanese email to be eligible to sign up for some Japanese service.

That makes sense. Though I would assume that in most cases, someone residing outside Japan wouldn't normally require these services.

That makes sense. Though I would assume that in most cases, someone residing outside Japan wouldn't normally require these services.
People in Japan on a short-term 30-90 day tourist stay could probably benefit from local contact info. On our trip, my wife was making calls via LINE but if she had needed to receive a call I don't think it would have been possible.

People in Japan on a short-term 30-90 day tourist stay could probably benefit from local contact info. On our trip, my wife was making calls via LINE but if she had needed to receive a call I don't think it would have been possible.
One of the few good things about GoogleFi is your phone just works abroad, mind you they would be calling an American number assuming you mean a non Line call. We do not have GoogleFi but use Line like you do and can take incoming calls via Line, I can take calls for free on wifi but have little reason to do so outside of work time. A data sim can be had reasonably if you do not have free international data or your international data is too slow.

One of the few good things about GoogleFi is your phone just works abroad, mind you they would be calling an American number assuming you mean a non Line call. We do not have GoogleFi but use Line like you do and can take incoming calls via Line, I can take calls for free on wifi but have little reason to do so outside of work time. A data sim can be had reasonably if you do not have free international data or your international data is too slow.
If I'm reading this correctly, none of these solutions provide a local Japanese phone number. Do Japanese businesses commonly make LINE calls now?

Back
Top Bottom