What's new

Would you stop going to live in Japan mainly because the education system is not good for your kids?

Just like each person has an opinion that's right with them, right? So I guess there's no point in anyone trying to convince anyone else any further then.

Having an opinion based on my own experience of the Japanese education system is a little different than forming an opinion based on hearsay.

What the OP does with the information is up to him,

This is probably going a bit off topic, but this begs the question, what SHOULD school be teaching you?

Personally I think everybody should learn about their own history, culture and religion, which is the basis of every civilization, then branch out into other regions of the world. In this day and age of immigration and internationalization, it would help to solve problems and misunderstandings that people have with each other.

They should also be teaching you HOW to think, to think critically, to not just accept what you're told and what other people say, learning how to express and articulate your opinions clearly, based on facts.

I watched a lecture give by a senior Japanese teacher of martial arts who explained that, when he left school back in the 1940s, all Japanese children had a basic knowledge of Japanese history and important historical figures and events. These days, according to him, Japanese children leave school not knowing much if anything about this sort of thing. In my opinion, this will hamper the development of your society and your culture, and leave people more adrift and rootless.

I've seen American academics say a similar thing, that students enter university these days knowing far less than they used to.

There's an ugly, sneering, bigoted attitude these days towards having an understanding of and pride in your own history and culture (which often gets described as being bigoted and racist itself), and using that as a basis with which to take your own culture and civilization forward. There is a big movement to destroy that, which has led to the election of a similar bigot like Donald Trump to rail against it. This is a worrying development which I think could be solved by the kind of education I described above.

Personally I think everybody should learn about their own history, culture and religion, which is the basis of every civilization, then branch out into other regions of the world. In this day and age of immigration and internationalization, it would help to solve problems and misunderstandings that people have with each other.

How did you come to this decision? Do you have experience of the Japanese education system?

Do you know that Japan does not have an immigration policy?

They should also be teaching you HOW to think, to think critically, to not just accept what you're told and what other people say, learning how to express and articulate your opinions clearly, based on facts.

Western countries does this and just look at the result, crime every where you look.

These days, according to him, Japanese children leave school not knowing much if anything about this sort of thing. In my opinion, this will hamper the development of your society and your culture, and leave people more adrift and rootless.

I would have to disagree with this, as my eldest has confirmed a different experience in school.

Last edited:
Maybe alternative questions needs to be asked, in order to show how positive the educational experience in Japan can be. Keep in mind, the discussion has been about public schools in Japan. So how about considering public schools in some neighboring countries.

So how about:

Would you stop going to live in China mainly because the public education system is not good for your kids?
or:

Would you stop going to live in South Korea mainly because the public education system is not good for your kids?

And for me, for those two places, the answer is clearly,
YES, I would stop going to live there, because the public education system is not good for my kids.

But, as I've expressed above, the public education system in Japan is a good one, one that I am more than satisfied with.

Japanese schools are just fine, at least in the countryside of japan. If you have an international marriage and the child goes to school and makes friends easily, I feel, with my experience of 15 years of putting our child through the school system should be fine.

I'd just move back to Japan and enroll your child in an international school, otherwise she might just abduct them to get back anyway...

You have to remember that your child might want to move back to the UK anyway in the future and I know more foreign parents and their children who do that than those who move to Japan. A lot of non-100% Japanese children don't like it here either, but some don't mind. The general pattern seems to be parents move with children to go into schools at the beginning of each stage, like the 1st year of primary school or whatever.

If your child is 4.5 (or 5) it's probably best to move before the start of primary school in Japan because it'll be very difficult (but not impossible) to catch up. Make sure you get a decent job lined up though because international schools aren't cheap...

Back
Top Bottom