What's new

Why Japan Remains a Threat to Peace and Democracy in Asia

gs001 said:
250 years? as I know it was 1860's that Japanese realized
the power of west when a US fleet arrived at Japanese harbor
and threatened to fire and immediately Japan began to reform
their institution.

No, it was in the early 1600s that Tokugawa Ieyasu and his immediate successors realized that Spain, Portugal and other European powers posed a threat and completely shut the west (except to a very limited extent Holland) out of Japan until Commodore Perry's arrival in 1853-1854, ie 250 years like I said. Throughout the early 19th century the Japanese had rebuked efforts by the English, French, Americans and Russians to make them open up and it was only in the face of irresistable force that they relented.

gs001 said:
yes, they fiercely resisted the Mongols, but if that gale
not blow and Mongols successfully landed, what would happen?

They probably would have been conquered, but that is completely irrelevant. You said Japan "only worships power" and if that were true you would expect them to have welcomed the Mongols with open arms, but they didn't.

In early 1600s, the disparity of power between east and west
was not so obvious, at that time China (maybe Japan)
thought Spain, Portugal and other European powers as sea rover,
not a civilization.
So I believe Japan just want to prevent sea rover from inbreak.

about Mongols,what I mean "worship power":
before conquer--- resisted, after conquer ---worshiped

USA has a buddy--- Britain, their relationship based on the
same believe, same ideology and same cultural background.

I believe Japan-USA relation not based on these, the
reason why Japan want to be ally with USA is just because USA is a
superpower.
that is what I mean "worship power"

gs001 said:
In early 1600s, the disparity of power between east and west
was not so obvious, at that time China (maybe Japan)
thought Spain, Portugal and other European powers as sea rover,
not a civilization.
So I believe Japan just want to prevent sea rover from inbreak.

about Mongols,what I mean "worship power":
before conquer--- resisted, after conquer ---worshiped

USA has a buddy--- Britain, their relationship based on the
same believe, same ideology and same cultural background.

I believe Japan-USA relation not based on these, the
reason why Japan want to be ally with USA is just because USA is a
superpower.
that is what I mean "worship power"

-offtopic-
Just curious to know what avarage Chinese students learn about the history in 17th century.
I suppose the collapse of the Ming dynasty influenced much more in Asia than now.

the collapse of the Ming dynasty influenced much more in Asia than now?
I don't think so, dynasty change was very often in Chinese history.
that "collapse" even can't influence Korea, say nothing of Japan.
Personally I think Manchu is not real Chinese, just like Mongols, when they conquered China, their people became a part of Chinese and their territory became a part of China.
If Japanese successfully conquered China during WWII, I think you would also be a part of China:) (of course the name of that country would not
be called China, maybe JP dynasty, joking)

窶愿コ窶怒ツ人ヒ?闇?O窶堙姑但ニ淡ニ但ツ人窶堙坂?氾イ窶懌┐ツ人ナステュ
窶ー'窶傳窶堙債青「ナ?E窶堙?o2窶堋セ

namazu:
Are you a right wing?
What about your American boss? are they inferior too?
I believe your Japanese only have the concept of strong and weak
you don't have the concept of right and wrong.
So you always worship the strong and invade the weak.
back to this topic, If one day USA becomes weak and China still
not strong enough to suppress you, you will rise up again,
that is why Japan "remains a Threat to Peace and Democracy in Asia"
but I don't think you have any chance again.

gs001 said:
namazu:
Are you a right wing?
What about your American boss? are they inferior too?
I believe your Japanese only have the concept of strong and weak
you don't have the concept of right and wrong.
So you always worship the strong and invade the weak.
back to this topic, If one day USA becomes weak and China still
not strong enough to suppress you, you will rise up again,
that is why Japan "remains a Threat to Peace and Democracy in Asia"
but I don't think you have any chance again.

How do you describe a person like Kenichi Asano?

-offtopic-
I highly doubt namazu is Japanese.

How do you describe a person like Kenichi Asano?

gs001>>Has that any relation with this topic?

I highly doubt namazu is Japanese.

gs001>>I am not astonished if he is a Japanese
In China, we also have some one behave like that
China, Japan and Korea all face severe nationalism.

Everyone that wants this thread closed, raise your hand.

Everyone that wants this thread to stay open, raise your hand.

You only get to raise your hand once.

Whichever category gets the most votes will be taken to a moderator of the forum, who will then make an independent decision regarding whether or not the thread will be open or closed.

Your votes are merely an advisory guideline to what is decided.

That's American democracy.

*raises hand in favour of a lock*

If anything, because Japan isnt a threat to much, except maybe the english language and a few whales.

I do not think it is polite or should be allowed for languages to be mixed like has happened twice in this thread. There is a language section for Japanese, but as I see it this thread was started in English and those except two have been doing the best they can in English.

True, the first in Japanese on page 1 is offering a negative opinion of the OP and the second on page 2 sounds downright racist, but those members have a right (to some degree) to post their opinions. I think, though, that all members have a right to be able to understand what's posted.

I think the moderating team needs to come to some decisions as to what will or will not be allowed in the way of mixing languages.

For example, first three messages are in English, then the next is in Spanish, then two in English, then one in Japanese, then the next in Chinese. The primary language of the forum needs to be set in policy and then exceptions only in those forums specifically designed/set up for other languages.

Oh, by the way, I completely disagree with moderation being decided by any kind of vote. It is not at all fair. You have to trust the moderating team will do what's best for the forum community as a whole.

Good moderation cannot be done through a democratic process at the general membership level. In fact, good moderation relies heavily on a good solid moderation policy for guidelines.

This thread doesn't really violate anyone's rights, does it? Why lock it?

You should not try to stop someone's opinion just because they are saying something you disagree with. Now I admit there is one post in this thread which is borderline, but I'd say it should stay. But in the proper language.

日本人以外のアジア人は劣等人種
俺達は世界でNo2だ

For the benefit of those who may not understand this member is stating that Asians other than Japanese are inferior. I'm just not sure if this member is writing non-Japanese Asians are 2nd class or that Japanese are 2nd class in the world with Asians below that. I'm sure somebody can translate this better than I.

Point is, though, it either shouldn't be there at all, or it should have been translated right away. It sat there for a few weeks before somebody picked up on this thread again. But I've already covered that, haven't I. Sorry.

Seems to be a common opinion in Japan (whether voiced or not). I have commented in this forum amd others that Japan's blatant racism remains dangerous. Even though at the moment physical violence in Japan is realtively rare, that doesn't mean that it will always be so. Nationalistic fever seems to spring up here relatively easily, and coupled with a still common tendancy to follow a group, it doesn't take much imagination to see that combination could be dangerous.
When? Well, to be honest the danger of anything soon happening is probably overated, but then again, who knows, things can change in a hurry.
As to votes for lock downs, moderation should be left to the moderators. I feel the moderators in this forum do a good job, leave them to it. If posters have complaints, let them contact the moderators directly.

Last edited:
Brooker said:
So every country that isn't a democracy is a threat? That's the kind of thinking that started the Viet Nam war.

This statement is incorrect. The war in Indo-China started because of colonialism. French colonialism, to be specific.

Actually there's no need to discuss this topic here hehe since there will be no use.

I've already become disappointed by the two countries' governments.They both use history or politics textbooks to serve their policies and keep on telling their people that the fault belongs to the other.LOL how ironic.
But when the people only believe in textbooks,it's even sadder.

I'm really not an optimist,sorry.

Back
Top Bottom