What's new

Why do you exist ?

Its not too modest to state that. How could we create a reason? Either there is one, or there is not. We either establish some sort of teleological theory, or fail to do so. A subjective reason, while very reassuring, is sort of false.

Besides. Creating one takes away most of the fun. The unsurmountable fear of death and the constant thinking.
Whilst I may sound like a freak now, I have to say this, I enjoy that almost all my recreational interests revolve around this matter.
I also believe that if you strip the world bare of subjective values attached to it, you will be able to see every single occurrence for what it truly is: fact. It gives you a world without sugarcoat, and your mind freedom to expand whichever way it wishes, without the boundaries of popular values.

I think I was misunderstood here. I didn't say that once you create your own reason, you'd actually stop thinking about the essential questions, namely "death", "the essence of things", etc.
A raison d'être isn't necessarily a religion or a dogmatic belief. It could be simply a direction, a guiding principle that would help you make choices without imposing anything on you or on the people around you.
For example, I consider that my raison d'être is to study languages and maths. Rather than being a hindrance, it's enhancing the development of my mind and my existence..

I understand that, but how does that actually provide you with a reason? It might be enjoyable, might be profitable, it might be just what you desire, but how will it become a reason?

I'd suggest that it helps to have motivation to get out of bed every morning, deal with yon asshats at work and continue the (often painful) process of self improvement etc etc etc etc (and etc, its been marched out many a time). By aspiring to some goal ( the complete and total knowledge of all languages and mathematical constructs?) one has a driving or attracting cause which indirectly contributes to the care and maintenance of one's biological functions, i.e. the continual attainment of food and shelter through payment attained by patience in a transitive, less than ideal situation.
Without such a reason, however implicit or explicit, there quite frankly is no justification/motivational force to pursue the maintenance of life.

or sumaught.

I think everyone exist to protect and help their community to grow. If you do the opposite, then that's when people start to hate you.
窶愿コ窶怒ナ津ェ窶堙娯?氾サツ習窶堙娯?堋ス窶堙溪?堙可、窶堋ア窶堙ェ窶堙ー窶倒窶禿ウ窶堋オ窶堙ヲ窶堋、ナスv窶堋「窶堙懌?堋キツ。
窶愿コ窶怒ナ津ェ窶堙ーツ習窶堙≫?堙?、窶佚・ナ?w窶堙ーツ出窶堙?、窶堋「窶堋「窶ーテッナステ絶?堙??慊ュ窶堋ォ窶堙懌?堋キツ。

I think everyone exist to protect and help their community to grow.

And what if that community rejects you? What if it imposed some conditions on you that you couldn't afford or submit to because they contradicted your very principles?

I think we should simply contribute in the development of humanity as a whole, in whatever community we find ourselves in, or we feel attracted to.

We all exist, because an infinite amount of time ago there was something in space from which everything that exists came to be :)

We all exist, because an infinite amount of time ago there was something in space from which everything that exists came to be :)

That is entirely consistent with my views. That there is an explanation of our coming into existence, but no reason or purpose. No teleological bollocks.

That there is an explanation of our coming into existence, but no reason or purpose. No teleological bollocks.
How do you know this? It's quite hard to know the purpose of everything without knowing the initial state of the contents of space. This state could be anything from an omnipotent being (super being, or as some people call them, a God), to almost total chaos, and anything in between.

How do you know this? It's quite hard to know the purpose of everything without knowing the initial state of the contents of space. This state could be anything from an omnipotent being (super being, or as some people call them, a God), to almost total chaos, and anything in between.

It started at some point right? So something must have triggered it, whatever it was.

It's good to be thorough; yet there will always be those times when a super-abridged, overly concise form of that most noble act will provide the greater productive and positive-in-outcome results.

Hi guys, this is my first thread in the forum..... (except the introduction one)
Have any of you think why s/he exist in this life?
waiting your responses........

I know for a fact, that each and every one of us, even the very OP, exists because of the combination of genetic material in our mother's reproductive organ. There is no further need whatsoever to extend any mental exercise on that line of thought--dead end !!

As to the other extensions of the 'why' question, we have the 'how-it-came-to-be as a foundational state line, and the 'what-objective/goal-like-reason in the foundational state line of thought. I would suggest that these would provide a more realistic discussion arena--for any who'd really like to discuss things.

One thing I noticed in an above post is what appears to be a misformed concept of 'space'--maybe. Could I please encourage some expounding on that? We can more readily stipulate that before the Big Bang (holding that theory to be the more accurately correct one, for the moment) there had been no 'space,' as we usually hold it in definition to be. 'Space,' came from the Big Bang, as well. I'd like to hear some more on where that idea had come from, please.

It started at some point right? So something must have triggered it, whatever it was.
The way things are now probably started somehow, the origin of everything must have just always existed.
One thing I noticed in an above post is what appears to be a misformed concept of 'space'--maybe.
I dont have a misinformed concept of space, it's just that it's a bit hard to explain what I mean if space didn't exist before the big bang. Also, if this compressable space didn't exist at that time, the 'stuff' the big bang came from must have existed inside of something? In my opinion you might as well call that something space as well.

Thank you for your further explanation there, Thorham san. Yes, I do understand the difficulty in trying to explain things in articulate language which we actually have no secure knowledge of, nor way of explaning.

I would suggest that if we were to attach 'those forms of tangible and intangible matter (holding a photon to have zero mass, for example) making the whole of all which has expanded from that singularity (Big Bang)--viz. the universe of 'outer and inner space'' to the word 'space' as a definition, that we'd then have to acquiesce that all of what has come to have expanded from the moment of the Big Bang, is all that we can talk about really as being 'space.'

For that reason, then, we'd have to find a different word--or create one--for any possible 'that' which may have imaginably housed (at the least the energy? if you will?) the potential for any Big Bang.

I see no reason, nor great value in outcome to trek off into the 'nowhere land' of 'pre-Big Bang' states. Especially as relates more to what would more pragmatically make for good discussion under the present topic, I would even go so far as to urge that we focus on things from a point in time after the planet Earth started to spew forth life forms. How might you reason on this offer?

Thank you for your further explanation there, Thorham san. Yes, I do understand the difficulty in trying to explain things in articulate language which we actually have no secure knowledge of, nor way of explaning.
You're welcome :)
I would suggest that if we were to attach 'those forms of tangible and intangible matter (holding a photon to have zero mass, for example) making the whole of all which has expanded from that singularity (Big Bang)--viz. the universe of 'outer and inner space'' to the word 'space' as a definition, that we'd then have to acquiesce that all of what has come to have expanded from the moment of the Big Bang, is all that we can talk about really as being 'space.'
The problem I have with that aproach is that the bigbang may just be the tip of the iceberg, and that a lot more has been going on than just the bigbang.
For that reason, then, we'd have to find a different word--or create one--for any possible 'that' which may have imaginably housed (at the least the energy? if you will?) the potential for any Big Bang.
Comming up with new words is difficult, as for existing words, I don't think anything in English comes closer than the word space. In my humble opinion it's not a problem to attach multiple, similar meanings to the word space.
I see no reason, nor great value in outcome to trek off into the 'nowhere land' of 'pre-Big Bang' states. Especially as relates more to what would more pragmatically make for good discussion under the present topic, I would even go so far as to urge that we focus on things from a point in time after the planet Earth started to spew forth life forms. How might you reason on this offer?
That's fine with me, but than we can only say what everyone already knows: We all come from our mothers wombs (without exception). I think the OP probably meant something along the lines of the origins of life. If only she would comment on this.

Again, I firstly thank you for taking the time to respond. I'd like to then encourage; inspire you, Thorham, to apply the most and best of reason--there is no need, really, to quote everything as though we can not follow a line of thought.

In the English language, I am confident enough that we'll not find the word 'space' so 'fill-in-the-blankish.' It is very much defined and limited. For that reason, it would be absolutely necessary to reach for a new word. Space, as is used in English, is a result of the Big Bang--full stop.

Therefore, you have most carefully pointed out a very major concern for the thread itself. We all know the most obvious, so what is the point which is being searched for? Would it not be more so along the lines of 'what is the meaning of life?' (or in other words, what is life for?)

Here, I would offer that it more evidently comes to the conclusion that life is for the purpose of life--the fact of life is to live. [of course that too seems to kind of close the discussion, but I say let's investigate the points in that line of thought.

I exist becuase there are too many doughnuts in the world. There must be balance. . . and milk!

Really, I'm here until the day I die. Before I pass from this life I only wish to do good by my family and friends. Even do my part for the world (more than just putting a dent in the doughnut population).

I exist because my parents had sex and I was conceived, my purpose or goal in life is to give people hope when they have none, help them when they need it, and keep the ones I love happy. Oh and to makeelf happy too, thats important to my mental health :D

Back
Top Bottom