What's new

Why do many Chinese and Koreans hate Japanese?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinese girls (we have lots of Chinese students here) come to me all the time to tell me it is bad to learn Japanese, that I should learn Chinese.
well it's like a Asian studying German instead of English. Same thing what you're doing.

---------- Post added at 04:52 ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 ----------

the leading country in science innovation, that's why we admired Japan now very much. But China, well, still now...

lol what? Japan the leading country in science innovation? Do you still live in the 1980s? Japan is one of the leading country but not the. When was the last time Japan really dominated scientific innovation, be it consumer or military?

What happened the once great companies like Sony, Sharp, Hitachi etc that really should be competing with Microsoft and Apple but now can't even go head to head with Samsung or Lenovo.

Last time I check it was China that sent men (and a woman) to space. Wait Japan don't even have their own space station.

And malicious gossip has it that Chinese innovation is founded on external inspiration and industrial espionage. Of course, rumours are just rumours.

lol what? Japan the leading country in science innovation? Do you still live in the 1980s? Japan is one of the leading country but not the. When was the last time Japan really dominated scientific innovation, be it consumer or military?

Why didn't you quote my whole sentence, I said "after WWII, Japan turned to be...". I didn't say it at present tense.
I am not an economist (I guess you are from your nickname), but Japan now is still very admirable. When I visit Kyoto few months ago, the city is very peaceful with very kind people. And about technology, I think there are a lot of advanced technologies that exist inside Japan. I don't know the reason for the big companies seem to be slow compares to Korea's, Taiwan's. Are there reason of economy policies, labor cost, etc.? I am not sure but I have no doubt about Japanese creativity in Technology.

Why didn't you quote my whole sentence, I said "after WWII, Japan turned to be...". I didn't say it at present tense.
I am not an economist (I guess you are from your nickname), but Japan now is still very admirable. When I visit Kyoto few months ago, the city is very peaceful with very kind people. And about technology, I think there are a lot of advanced technologies that exist inside Japan. I don't know the reason for the big companies seem to be slow compares to Korea's, Taiwan's. Are there reason of economy policies, labor cost, etc.? I am not sure but I have no doubt about Japanese creativity in Technology.

it can see that you're not an economist (finance and economy is not the same thing), you're basically saying Japan become a peace loving and innovative nation after WW2 and China is still China (whatever that means but I can only assume you mean China is still in the same state as it was in the 1940s just after ww2).

You posts really shows your lack of knowledge and most it's just full of misguided opinions. Give me USEFUL advanced technology that exists ONLY in Japan.

let me give a simple graph to ponder over, 1978 was the year China reformed it's economic policy. I wonder if you still think "China is still China"

Capture.jpg

Actually in that sentence I emphasized more on the foreign policies of China, which to me is still aggressive, especially towards neighbor smaller countries. Take the claim of the U shaped boundary on the South China Sea for example. But I won't argue on this further because it wont get anywhere.
Back on the economy issue, it's true that China's GDP grew exponentially in recent decades, however your chart would be more useful if you show a plot of GDP per capita. Take a simple fact is that China's population is about ten time of Japan's, its GDP per capita should be 10 times smaller. And I think that the world economy picture now is more complicated than before because globalization. China has become the largest factory of the world because it has may cheap labor force, is that right?
About technology, if you attend a tech. blog like engadget, you still see some new or even strange invention by Japanese now and then. When I visited a electronic supermart in Kyoto, I saw lot of strange devices but I just don't know what it is since my Japanese is virtually zero. But what about something like a small cooker where you poor rice, sugar in and it can produce a nice cake for you?

Yes, China has conquered lands (from decades ago...) and is now in the process of exploring the sea and space. It shows China's rise as a world power. Japan did the same thing when they were a region power. If you didn't know Japan was pacified by America after the war and has been sucking Uncle Sam's d*** ever since. Hence Japan seems like a peaceful country, only because Japan don't really have the capability to be aggressive anymore.

Last edited:
Actually i don't think they hate each other that much. for example taiwanese love hojicha tea and according to ranma japanese love oolong tea. i know its just an unimportant thing, but as i have the feeling i think they wouldn't enjoy it if they really hated each other.
also i love how they make those innocent jokes when japanese use these stereotypes like the chinese mantu seller and the chinese use funny stereotypes of japanese.
i know not enough about japan and china and stuff, but they are both great countries with hard working and very smart people. i think they have very much in common and i don't mean the obvious link via confuzian teaching and buddhism and stuff, but if you read history novels by accident there are some small similarities. Also the old chinese history novels about pride honor and stuff really come close to the samurai code of conduct. even so its just fiction and i never studied history its still amazing.

also a few thousand years back chinese send 20000 or so chinese kids boys and girls to populate foreign lands, and they also landed in japan and mixed with the culture. at least that what fishers book about the history of japan says.

---------- Post added at 19:59 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

also the chinese can't hate the japanese, i mean the mainland chinese people. as mao said with his own words without the japanese we would never have won. the only who really have a reason to hate japanese are taiwanese. don't get me wrong thats just my opinion i love em all mainland chinese, taiwanese chinese and japan.

How thick are those rose-colored glasses you wear?

yes i might be wrong but then again, there are many chinese living in japan and many japanese living in china. on german television they said, hong kong companies hired many top japanese worker after fukushima accident. they are very smart people. then again maybe you are right, its just my opinion and i could be wrong but i like em all.

---------- Post added at 21:51 ---------- Previous post was at 21:46 ----------

also the advanced chinese companies in china use japanese robots for production. Also when chinese attacked the japanese shops because of the ceremony for world war soldiers in japan. how could all those japanese business in china prosper if they hate each other so much? i think hate is a very personal thing and you can't generalize that they everyone hates each other.

the biggest thing is the jackie chan movie in china, see how they say, people in japan aren't aware that you would steal because they never would think about stealing themselves. a chinese movie making compliments about japanese.

Yes, China has conquered lands (from decades ago...) and is now in the process of exploring the sea and space. It shows China's rise as a world power. Japan did the same thing when they were a region power. If you didn't know Japan was pacified by America after the war and has been sucking Uncle Sam's d*** ever since. Hence Japan seems like a peaceful country, only because Japan don't really have the capability to be aggressive anymore.

I think from your words and you avatar picture you must be a typical Chinese. It's a surprise to me that you come to this Japan forum with such expansionism ideology in this 21th century. Such idea that you are the center of the world (which is literal the name Chinese) is very annoying and dangerous. Is it necessary to show the power by provoke other countries like this?
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/484431_3457362272887_125655764_n.jpg
Actually I don't hate Chinese people or any others because of their countries, but some people's idea is so crazy and ignorance.

I think from your words and you avatar picture you must be a typical Chinese. It's a surprise to me that you come to this Japan forum with such expansionism ideology in this 21th century. Such idea that you are the center of the world (which is literal the name Chinese) is very annoying and dangerous. Is it necessary to show the power by provoke other countries like this?
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/484431_3457362272887_125655764_n.jpg
Actually I don't hate Chinese people or any others because of their countries, but some people's idea is so crazy and ignorance.

I don't know what a "typical Chinese" is like, if there is one, but with the "war" in his forum name and seeming approval of conquest by the strong, he does sound rather like an out-dated imperialist, doesn't he?

I suggest you watch the movie "John Rabe".
First of all it's a good movie, but it also shows ONE of the reasons why Chinese people (might) hate the Japanese even nowadays.

i think its all about financial war. also the chinese are not that bad, because of them i saw dai pu erh (if thats even real i don't know)... i like chinese, but i also like vietnamese and japanese...

people always forget that some chinese promote dai culture and some japanese promote chinese culture, without japanese video games i would never have fallen in love with romance of the three kingdoms. Also vietnam does much for chinese culture as well, i once saw a vietnamese in teashop. And he made tea but he had his own small modern tea ceremony with washing the cups and stuff and it was so magical i had to learn about chinese tea.
also i find that those asians have one thing in common they just make the right tea cups, i don't know with western tea cups tea doesn't taste as good and somehow the magic is gone.

ps i think it's in every country, every national in the entire world think they are the center of the world, like in the movie the leopard.

---------- Post added at 04:42 ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 ----------

i meant its all about economic war

There is hate all around the world, reasons differ but hate is always there.

60 years is not that long when it comes to history. The news does play a key factor when they do "documentaries" on Jejudo or the Comfort Women. I do understand Korea's position, but I have to say that their reporting is heavily biased. There are quite a few people still alive from the WW2 era, and I wouldn't expect public sentiment to change until they have all died and a few years have passed. Our 16-30 year old posters probably would consider this ancient history. "Everyone just needs a hug," right?

Hating all or most Japanese people for what other Japanese people did who are mostly dead is stupid and absurd, but unfortunately a pattern of thought quite common among idiot humans. You have to be an idiot to hate the son for the sins of his father.

That said, there is good reason to hate any Japanese today in denial of the horrors Japan committed in the past or those who insist on remaining ignorant about it (but its hard to tell who is like that and who was simply denied the information but is willing to listen and to learn). There is even better reason to hate the Japanese government and most of her politicians though because its their prerogative to make sure the Japanese are educated on these matters but they only make sure the Japanese people are miseducated. You may also fairly hate the "historians" who whitewash the history and the right-wing nuts who support the effort. It makes sense to hate the son if he agrees with and supports or otherwise condones or covers up the sins of his father.

But the Japanese I have been closest too are not in denial and they recognize the wrongs of the past. They may not have all the detail and they may not seek out the details, but that is not a reason to hate them. And anyone who did is a GD idiot.

Uh yeah, The Koreans hate Japanese because of the colonial period and the Liancourt rocks incident. aps who hate us and the chinese.

I also believe that hating Japanese people of today because Japanese from 70 years ago did this or that, it's just plain ridiculous if not stupid. Most of the people who were there either as victims of as the ones perpetrating acts are already dead.

The part with right-wing Japanese politicians willingly playing the card of ignorance doesn't help, but I'm sure most Japanese are not the easiest ones to fool with so-called history books. Even in Canada, there are chapters of our history that are very embarrassing (especially actions taken against Natives) and yet unwritten in history books for school, but people are not always fooled by that and that's all that counts. I just think Japan only needs a new and younger generation of politicians at the moment instead of those old fools soured by enduring the worst post-WWII years when they were just children. I'd love to see a Japanese John Kennedy soon.

If I speak for the Chinese's hatred of the Japanese (even stronger these days), there's also another thing: if we look at history of the last 60 years or so, everyone would see that the once defeated Japan was able to rise up and become a sustainable economical power while China was clearly lagging behind for a long time despite being on the winning side of WWII. So, a major inferiority complex was formed and this feeling ain't going away anytime soon even if China surpassed Japan in the last few years.

I just think Japan only needs a new and younger generation of politicians at the moment instead of those old fools soured by enduring the worst post-WWII years when they were just children.

The average age of newly elected Diet members in the most recent election was 51.9. I wasn't there, but I don't think the 1960s and 1970s were the worst postwar years.

The average age of newly elected Diet members in the most recent election was 51.9. I wasn't there, but I don't think the 1960s and 1970s were the worst postwar years.

Perhaps not the average Diet member, but I talk about the leading figures and former PMs. If we count out Abe (that's a bizarre case for someone with his approach to say the least) and Noda, all other former PMs were born within the 1938-1947 time range, which coincidentally matches the time Japan hit the lowest point in the 20th Century when they were children. While it's certainly not exact science, it might explain part of the overall attitude by the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom