What's new

Why are U.S forces still in Japan

OF course the US isn't the only major player in the international system. The European Union and Japan are very important players in maintaining the current economic system. But it is divided politically and militarily. The US is the global political and military machine that ensures compliance with the rules, rules which the US made, perhaps with some imput from Europe.

I do not at all believe your contention that the Bush administration has been a 3 year abberation in an otherwise isolationist foreign policy. You seem to find the case of the Iraq war very objectionable, presumably because it is the one that most strongly disproves your point, so lets do as you suggest and ignore it.

For starters, your main premise seems to be based on the idea that intervention only occurs when US ground forces invade a country. You say that the US couldn't be cajoled by the Europeans into getting involved in Yugoslavia, but that is patently false. US bombs dropped on the Serbs were key in ending the Bosnian civil war, US military advisors planned the Croation offensives against the Serbs in Eastern Croatia and Clinton spent billions of dollars in bombing Serbia back to the stone age for the Kosovars. There are thousands of US troops in the former Yugoslavia to this day!

Throughout post war history there is a massive list of US interventions not related to the Bush administration that would betray your notion of an isolationist US. Iran, Guatamala, Cuba, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, The Dominican Republic, Grenada, NIcaragua, Afghanistan, Panama etc. etc. None of these had anything to do with a terrorist provocation temprorarily luring the US out of its shell or anything. It is just the way the US governs its percieved sphere of influence.

Of course the US doesn't act the exact same way as the Europeans ruled their empires a hundred years ago. Times have changed since then. This isn't because the US has different interests than previous powers, its because modern society won't tolerate open colonialism the way it used to. The US doesn't directly control the countries in its 'sphere' but it has a lot of less visible means of control.

Take a look at all of the countries that supported the US in its war on Iraq, for example. In just about all of them the massive will of the public was against the war and against the US, but their leaders supported the war and some even sent troops. Was it because these leaders felt morally obliged to attack a country that had done nothing to them, or was it because they feared US retribution if they didn't fall into line? Even Japan, the second largest economy in the world with about 80% of the population opposed had to support the US because if they didn't, the US would have retaliated in some way with the Korean issue.

In some ways I think you are right about how the US will act after the next election. It certainly won't be undertaking any more Iraq-scale invasions in the near future and the war drum rhetoric will probably die down a bit. But I don't see the US being at all obliged to refrain from its many smaller-scale interventions.

Ah... motivations for Post cold war US/European interventions...my thesis.

the intervention in Bosnia and Kosovo (definately the latter) are largely because of European initiatives. The US did not want to get involved in either conflict and were happy to leave it to the newly created European Union Common foreign and Security policy to deal with the situation. The EU failed miserably in 1991/2 to deal with the situation there, and the UN under UNPROFOR faired little better from 1992~95. When these failed and Europeans got into trouble, Major and Mitterrand/Chirac both went to Clinton for their aid in the situtation, who was hesitant to get involved. He then advocated Lift and strike, to remove the embargo on the muslims, remove UNPROFOR personel and use airstrikes to make that possible. It was the British who deployed an artillery regiment into Sarajevo.\\

Kosovo was an even more clear cut case of America not wanting to get involved and European Nations pushing the US to do so. Throught 1998 the Tony Blair cajoled Clinton to do something, and he refused. His refusal would lead to the creation of the Common European Security and Defence Policy(CESDP), the creation of a European Union military capability that could act when when NATO was not involved. There may be 1000s of troops in the FRY today, but there are far more Europeans who are increasingly taking over the burden in the region. In June the CESDP took over the Macedonian mission (operation Concordia), and now runs the police mission in Bosnia and Herzegovinia (the EU Police monitering mission.). It is likely by next summer, either the Kosovo stabilization force, or the Bosnian one will be taken over by the ESDP as well. If Europe had have the option to undertake the mission in Kosovo, they would have, but they did not have the capability to do so. As the ESDP increases its effectiveness, they are trying out this new capability. Recently the EU undertook operation Artemis in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Also I should explain myself in what I mean by isolationist. Its not Isolationist by the terms that were used in the 1920s and 30s. I mean that the US takes a far more hands off approach to the world than other nations would. Canada prides itself as being an internationalist nation, as many European states do. The US would rather not use its military forces. Now Sensei you use alot of examples in Pre-Vietnam examples. Vietnam was a watershed in American foreign policy, After Vietnam, US foreign policy became a lot more insular and it became far more careful on how it applied its military force. The new attitude is called the Vietnam syndrome in politics, reffers to the US public aversion to military casualties. Somalia we saw 20 american deaths result in the end of American involvement there. This attitude increased after the Cold War.
the Cold war period I did not consider in my statement above, because it does not fit our discussion well. During the Cold war the US had to protect its interests vis a vis what it called the soviet threat. The Soviet threat was completely unlike anything we currently see. The US needed to have a grand strategy, because if it didn't then the USSR would of been able to increase its influence and take over significant parts of the world. But this was not just in the US's interest, most western nations acceoted these sentiments. Therefore the US did use military force to undertake some situations. Nicaragua was seen as being a communist jumping off point for the rest of Central America. Although this threat may have been overstated, Russia did construct several airfields in the region that did scare the Americans significantly. Usually when the United States undertook a intervention, like Nicaragua in the 1980s, it saw a communist infiltration andundertook a military intervention to counter it.
This is just cold war politics, and doesn't work well as a example today because its a completely different situation. The USSR was an competing power, and the US AND Europe AND most of the world did not want to fall under their influence. My mother lived in Communist Czechoslovakia, and tells me stories on how horrible the state was. We should count ourself lucky that the US was sucessful.
But after the Cold war ended, the US pretty well slashed its foreign relations budget and focused inwards and this is what I am speaking to. I know that sounds like im tinkering with the dataset so to speak but I'm trying to show examples that are relevent to our discussion.

Other interventions like Iran actually serve as a better example. IRan occurred when American Interests were directly attacked. The American Embassy takeover was not being resolved through diplomatic channels so Carter attempted to rescue them. What ensued was a disaster, and that sunk Carter so that he withdrew from the next election.

I don't like Iraq as an example because it may be the first and only example in the new US docrine of preventative strike. This is a new trend that is not at all clear whether or not it will become the norm in american Foreign policy. I think it will fall to the wayside like Kissinger/Nixon's Realpolitik of the early 1970s. But the US always have cycled between periods of activism after being threatened to periods of isolationism (or near so).

If I understand correct, you are saying that when considering major trends in American foreign policy, we can't consider the cold war and we can't consider the Bush administration because they were both abberations.

The obvious problem with that approach is that it really only leaves us with the Clinton administration to look at when considering whether the US acts as an isolationist state or an imperial power. I think, as you say, that you have tinkered with the data a bit too much and are just narrowing the field of acceptable examples to suit your thesis.

I think the cold war is a perfectly fair era to look at. Just because the US had a challenger to its hegemony during that time doesn't really make it a special case. For starters, the Soviet threat was deliberately hyped beyond any reasonable level by various US administrations. Secondly, the US wasn't acting as a charity institution at that time, trying to protect independent nations from communist aggression. The whole strategy was to protect and expand its own sphere of influence, much in the same way that, for example, Britain tried to protect and expand its empire against the French. The US was not just a passive player reacting to world events during the cold war. It was the most active nation in keeping the cold war going, with various presidents at times deliberately creating needless crisis or stoking tensions to suit their various purposes.

As for the examples I listed, some of them were pre Vietnam and some were post. Grenada, Panama, Nicaragua, Afghanistan in the 1980s, - these interventions all occured after Vietnam. The only real effect of the Vietnam "Syndrome" is that the American public is no longer willing to put up with thousands of American GIs coming home dead from some country they've never heard of. So instead of sending massive numbers of conscripts overseas, the US now relies on either its overwhelming air power or covert military operations to attack its percieved enemies. The will to intervene is still there, even in cases where there is no real threat to American security, it is only the tactics that have changed.

The Iranian example I cited was referring to the CIA overthrow of the prime minister, Mossadeqh, in 1953, which had nothing to do with terrorism or even communism. The most interesting part about the later hostage taking crisis for me was that Reagan and his gang of crooks actually conspired to keep the hostages in captivity!

The notion that Nicaragua was some sort of communist jumping off point for a Russian take over of central America and eventually the US is pure fantasy. I'm surprised you would give it any credence. The Sandinistas had originally gone to the US to sponser them, not the Soviets, but the US told them to get lost. Any ties they did have with the Soviet Union were purely for conveniences sake, not because of some intention to get involved with the cold war.

I think your analysis of events in the Balkans is pretty sound. I don't know if Iraq is going to be the only example of this stupid 'Bush doctrine'. While there is probably going to be a short term backlash against this sort of thing, now that they've set a precedent I can see how a future president might scrub off the rough edges on the historical record of the Iraq war and use it as a justification for whatever fraudulent or unpopular war he wants to start. Its not a happy thought.

The US stay's in Japan because they have made Japan a colony.The US is nothing but a power hungry imperialistic country that wants to rule the world and keep their forces in countries they fought in.They us quotes such as 'threat to national security' or 'oppresive government' as excuses to declare war,occupy land and territory.They use an old trick used by many countries by telling lies until they become the truth.

The best way to put my words into summary,is that the US is a modern imperialist country.

I don't think Japan is a colony of the US. The LDP is more than happy to play host to US forces in Japan so long as they get something in return, even though this flies in the face of public opinion.

I think you are right about politicians telling lies until they become the truth. Like with Bush repeating his mantra about Saddam being responsible for 9/11 so many times that 70% of the US public believes it, even though it is a lie.

Well I guest Japan isn't really a colony of the US but it's government is a puppet government set up by the US.It's like a moder vassaliship which the US has established because Japan has always supported US wars not by guns and men but by money and health supplies.Like in Iraq,the Japanese set up like a red cross thing and hundreds of people volunteered for the job to help the US soldiers.I know it was voluntary but still they supported them,not just because of the crisis in N.Korea but pleasing the US.

"really just means the US having the ability to launch armed attacks on any country it chooses"

The USA can do this without a base in japan. Not only do we have ICBMs, Air craft that can bomb north korea from germany we have the most powerfull navy in the world. Korea is not that large and aircraft launched from sea can hit any location in it, Let alone the fact that cannons fired from ships off shore can hit allmost 1/3rd of the land mass off korea.

Also some facts for you.

North korea.

Military branches:
Korean People's Army (includes Army, Navy, Air Force), Civil Security Forces
Military manpower - military age:
18 years of age (2003 est.)
Military manpower - availability:
males age 15-49: 6,103,615 (2003 est.)
Military manpower - fit for military service:
males age 15-49: 3,654,223 (2003 est.)
Military manpower - reaching military age annually:
males: 180,875 (2003 est.)
Military expenditures - dollar figure:
$5,217.4 million (FY02)
Military expenditures - percent of GDP:
33.9% (FY02)

33.9% of the GDP..... That is just stupid.

America

Military branches:
Army, Navy and Marine Corps, Air Force, and Coast Guard (Coast Guard administered in peacetime by the Department of Homeland Security but in wartime reports to the Department of the Navy)
males age 15-49: 73,597,731 (2003 est.)
NA
males: 2,116,002 (2003 est.)
$276.7 billion (FY99 est.)
3.2% (FY99 est.)
Military - note:
note: 2002 estimates for military manpower are based on projections that do not take into consideration the results of the 2000 census

Japan

Military branches:
Ground Self-Defense Force (Army), Maritime Self-Defense Force (Navy), Air Self-Defense Force (Air Force), Coast Guard
males age 15-49: 29,392,559 (2003 est.)
males age 15-49: 25,405,779 (2003 est.)
males: 725,281 (2003 est.)
$39.52 billion (FY02)
1% (FY02)

As for korea not being hostil as someone said. The fact is we do not know what korea's intentions are. No one but kim jong ill does. That is where the problem lies. Right now the biggest reason we see him wanting nuclear weapons it to make money for himself and gain more power. He is not hideing it eaither, He is basicly trying to blackmail us.

Blackmailing the USA will not turn out good for him.

If he really wants to help his people he can stop spending all his money on himself and the military budget and start useing it for something usefull.

As for the US not being able to keep up with the cost. That is a JOKE. We waste and LOSE more money just in social services then we have spent on all of the iraq war. With propaganda, an aggresive pres "I don't see bush as that aggresive." and a reason "Even if its not real and is just porpaganda" we could double our military budget easy, if not triple.

I pray that we never have a reason to start the war machine rolling. The way our economy is, war just feeds it. Look at the post war economy we had after WW 2. The only thing that really hurts about war is the effects it has on fossile fules.

2001 Afganistan, 2003 Iraq, 2005 is you?
US really is new power of neo-imperialism is this modern century, with her supreme military power and economic strength, no other nation can challenge with her...
In my opinion, US aim to unify the whole human and then under her sovereignty... Oh no!
I think US troop in Korean peninsula and Japanese island is invisible menace to Far East. Nowaday, Al-Qaeda, JI or other else terrorist, want to attack US allied nation ang her oversea troop. Spain is a very good example... Recently, US seems to enlarge her power at South East Asia, especially at Malacca Strait, her want to based her army at this busiest strait to 'protect' her ship and this region. Unfortunately, Malaysia has strongly opposed the US next conspiracy... HAIL!!

ElChe said:
Well I guest Japan isn't really a colony of the US but it's government is a puppet government set up by the US.
Last time I checked, Japan runs free and fair elections. The US has zero direct say in Japan's economic, political, and military matters. If the Japanese government were a puppet government set up by the US, Washington could call Tokyo and say - "hey, your car exports are hurting our domestic market. Please stop shipping us any new cars. Have a nice day" and there would be no new cars coming to the US. It simply doesn't work that way. All powerful governments have indirect say in the goings on of others, but that is the way it has always been. Just to say that because on government is taking more than their fair sahe of the balance of global power is not to say all of that governments friends are puppet regimes.

ElChe said:
It's like a moder vassaliship which the US has established because Japan has always supported US wars not by guns and men but by money and health supplies.
I fail to see how a country coming to grips with its own foreign political self, and an economy 100% dependent on imported oil, aiding the side they feel (rightly or wrongly) will help secure their economic future counts is "vassaliship." I think this vastly overstates Japan-US relations. Japan is sending non-combat troops to Iraq mainly because it caught such heat buying its way out of the First Gulf War (and because of some UN issues and a more outward looking real-politik government).

ElChe said:
Like in Iraq,the Japanese set up like a red cross thing and hundreds of people volunteered for the job to help the US soldiers.I know it was voluntary but still they supported them,not just because of the crisis in N.Korea but pleasing the US.
The Red Cross is a humanitarian organization that, while it started to aid soldiers, now is a non-aligned movement dedicated to helping anyone impacted by war. They are in no way attached to US troops in Iraq. That is what the military medical corps if for. I think many, many Red Cross workers would be very unhappy with your linking them to the very thing they work to fix - war.

Lastly, I don't see how this -

emperor said:
US really is new power of neo-imperialism ... no other nation can challenge with her.

can be followed by this -

emperor said:
Malaysia has strongly opposed the US next conspiracy... HAIL!!

Pick a line and stick to it.

Aside - I have a lot of problems with the current US government and its policies. I do not like the decisions of Bush and his actions. However, inflammatory and irresponsible statements about any country deserve to have even their opponents stand in their defense. It might be a comfort to some to point a finger to the US and lay as much blame as they can spout. But have we fallen so far that we cannot measure our discussions with healthy doses of logic and responsibility?

I didn't have time to read all the posts here (dayum, so many words), so I hope nothing I say is too redundant. BTW, I'm new here, nice to meet you all. :D

I was stationed in Okinawa for two years from 1997-1999 while touring in the US Navy as a Fleet Marine Force field medic attached to the US Marines. I was assigned to a special training group supporting special forces and other operation groups assigned to the Asia Pacific region. Okinawa is one of the most important locations for the US Military to be positioned. There are many reasons I say this, but due to security reasons, I can't list them all. The main factor I believe is the accessibility to react to any situation in the Asia-Pacific region. Many of the troops in Okinawa support many causes for this location. Also, Okinawa is in an excellent position for any military cause when it boils down to logistics. Another factor is the training that is provided on the island. Most of my career in Okinawa was training, training, training. Not only for the field troops, but for the special operation divisions as well. I can tell you first hand, no money is wasted on that island. Good training requires a good amount of funding...believe me, most of the equipment I was issued was never new. Everything is used until it can no longer be maintained. Some may say that there are too many bases already in Okinawa, but I can tell you, we need every single one of them to operate smoothly. Every serviceman and servicewoman on that island work for an overall goal. I guess you have to experience it first-hand to understand what I'm saying. The military community is a different machine from the civilian sector. Well, that's all I have to say about that. I'm no longer enlisted in the Navy...I support computer systems in TX now, but I truly miss Okinawa Japan. I met so many wonderful people there.

One other subject I will touch lightly on are the sloppy actions of military members in the past. Marines and other servicemen acting up in Japanese establishments, causing fights, harrasing nationals and rape. It makes me sick to the bones to hear of such things happening, and this is what I believe to be a good portion of the problem with the US Military being in Japan. If those drunken idiots thought twice before acting....well, there's nothing that can be done about the past I suppose.

All in all, Japan has left me with the most memorable times of my life. I've never had more fun and joy in my 28 years of life. I never expected to go there, although it had always been a dream of mine since I was a child. I'm truly grateful that the Navy gave me the opportunity to experience Japan first-hand. I've made great friends there and even fell in love. These are things that I will never forget.

Well, I guess I got a little off the subject. Nice to meet you all again.

Ja mata ne - David Z.

I've tried reading through most of this, but its rather extensive... Maybe some of these have already been touched rather heavily... Well... Anyway, some of the questions in mind that I think are somewhat simple.

1. Article 9?

It prevents Japan from declaring war on any country. So, America gets to act as the big brother. Yeah! America! The Big Brother!!!
(don't get me wrong, I am American but...)

2. Why would China declare war on Japan?

If any country including America were to help Taiwan gain its independence, China would declare war on them. So if Japan were to help...

But a real question might be "Why would Japan help?"

3. Why does America still have troops in Japan?

America has troops in just about every allied country. It makes America feel safer or something like that. But as you probably know, it's one of the higher controversial topics due to Japan postwar occupation by American troops. No other country has/had such a situation... Except maybe soon to be Iraq... I think Iraq will become the next controversial topic.

Anyway, my two cents.

I do not see why there are still U.S. forces in Japan, it makes no sence to me, and what are they doing, just sitting there wasting America's money?

America is simply remaining there to exploit the japanese land. What are they doing there you ask? They are using japan as their stronghold for wars in asia. Perhaps the most angering thing is that the japanese people are ok with this. "Americans are our friend". Angering indeed.

I do not see anything for them to do in Japan, the war was so long ago, we still have forces in Germany too, I do not understand why this is and I would like to know, I also want to know how many troops there are, even if it is a small number, I do not see the purpose

There is no longer any real purpose as I except for the ones above. Democracy is secure in japan and the americans are very accepting to the idea of japan building a army now. Then again perhaps I am the only one that sees what tyrannical america is all about with japan...

As for why U.S. forces are still in Japan, I can narrow it down to a couple of words: North Korea.

Call me wrong or crazy, but as long as that crackpot Kim Jong Il is still in power, the threat exists that he might get a wild hair up his *** and ponder invading Japan, the reason he hasn't is mostly due to America's presence over there. And heaven only knows what China might consider doing if Japan were left to their own devices. And they have the bomb.

That's just my opinion for what it's worth. Probably not much.

Pretty much Bush became re-elected so he's going to do whatever he wants to make people paranoid about war.

i havent read through all the thread properly except the first and senseiman and noyhouser...

from through out this discussion..i find america is a evovled imperialist colonist country who exploits every aspects of political and economical events wielding neo cold war tactics such as intelligence enfants(ECHELON) to establish track on countries and spying in their industrial and economic progress...

the true threat of the world today is america..the threats comes neither from N.Korea, China nor the potrayed Terrorist Organizations..base on logic..neither do this threats can hamper any on the world progress today but america...

I see the intention of the US is to make the whole world dependent on it... spreading influences and military power on every region on the planet.. and now it seems that the US has a personal agenda in spreading its values to every part of the world such as religion,culture and ideology to all over the world and hampering all the culture of the world..not to mention sabre rattling.. i see the US is the only one sabre rattling everybody..in response.. US deserve a little sabre rattling back too...

the US wants to turn everybody into americans..the truth is that americans cant live anywhere if they do not share american western values.. they cant live one day in a country without prostitution and alchohol..sometimes even drugs..contries like colombia and afganistan now has become bigger drug producers thanks to them...look at the philipines..and all their countries who share their values..nothing but lands for sex tourist and prostitution.. whereever the american basses are..they are sure to be prostitutes there and rape casses..not to mention in iraq rapes too...americans should know that not every do cultures can share your values..and one must learn to accept each other as they are..

what is american values really..in history american values are nothing but crap.. americans think they are the only ones with great values..but all they are but imperialist,exploitive,bigots and hypocrites with a lot of money.. all their money comes from their western imperialist colonist ancestors...slaughtering natives and enslaving blacks peaplo o build up their empire...now they shove green notes into their mouth to keep them silent and natives now become gamblers and have no heed to taxes...a racist christian white jew country who are the wealthiest and most powerful that will control the destiny of the country...

i dont want US basses to be in japan..too many of them are already in asia.. and this taiwan buisness..why are they so interested where they are so many other places who seek independence from their country...look at thailand.. US deliberatly closses one eye..they want to exploit weaknesses in contries who are powerful to weaken them and make them dependent on them...

the US is becoming a Nazi country...who thinks their lives and their peaplo are more important than others..and when it breaks down to sacrifices..they will sacrifice other peaplo like pawns to the slaughter like iraqis..and save their peaplo...

look at the Kyoto summit..the US is willing to heat up the planet for 1 million jobs...probrably they already found a way to solve the problem then annouced and publicize themselves claiming themselves hero or something so that they can extend their influences for political gain that will lead to more of its dominace...

in iraq..who ask for the US help anyway..US the jew supporter country who supports attrocities murder of women and children who live in poverish land...
iraq peaplo want freedom but not from the US and doesnt owe you debt to your actions who publicize your kindness to increase your influence all over the world...and degrade their culture..and their dignity...the muzeum destroyed..cultural history gone...the palaces once ruled by an iraqi now for paradise for american embassies...abu ghraib..fallujah and women will soon be nothing but ****** for american tourist...

when the US invaded iraq..it didint cared about all of this..didint secured the 347 tons of explosive...no...they were busy securing the oil and putting puppet goverments all over the world so they can inflict their arrogance and dominance on other cultures...

i dont want US to be in Japan...i want china to be super power that will balance US..i dont support china extremly though..but given the choice at hand..america is making countries like its going to war but in reality they are all just throwing threats...but the US is the one really going to war..so who is the war monger?the one throwing threats at everybody...

i got more at hand..put i keep it short for now...

Vanguard_Vendetta said:
..nothing but lands for sex tourist and prostitution.. whereever the american basses are..they are sure to be prostitutes there and rape casses..
i dont want US basses to be in japan..too many of them are already in asia.. and this taiwan buisness..why are they so interested...
My feelings on the above post can be summed up as follows: (in visual form)

(edit -- Hmm, it seems like
i]

Vanguard_Vendetta said:
afganistan now has become bigger drug producers thanks to them
Yeah, that's one of the funny side effects. The big bad Taliban almost eradicated the evil drug production & as soon as the US steps in, opium production surges to unknown highs.

nothing but lands for sex tourist and prostitution
Oh well, I think, you have that everywhere in the world. Where large military bases are, you will have quite some prostitution.

not every do cultures can share your values..and one must learn to accept each other as they are..
[...]
what is american values really..in history american values are nothing but crap..
Quite an oxymoron, hmm? Didn't you accuse the US of hypocrisy? It seems you're not free of it either.

in iraq..who ask for the US help anyway
Actually, there was some small group of dissidents who did so. The same group who provided much of the oh so reliable intelligence regarding WMD.

i dont want US to be in Japan...i want china to be super power that will balance US
I don't think, Japan would be too happy with Chinese army bases on its territory.

Vanguard - having a lot of statements linked under the vaguest of pretenses does not a logical argument make. You seem very interested in opening a dialogue about the US and the rest of the world, but no one is a) going to take you seriously, b) bother to respond (if they have anything better to do than blow a few minutes), or c) change their world view when you hit them with one unsupported statement after another.

You seem like a smart guy/gal - take some time to study rhetoric and how to present an argument. The more extreme your position, the more important it is to write well.

USA must get out from Japan

I had sad story from USA soldier ....he murdered my Japanese girl friend and she was pregnant so I leave Japan with this story about how is USA military is rude and Japan police could not do any thing ...
So I think they must leave Japanese to live peaceful

i personally dont care what must be said..american culture is crap..but americans dont have to force,invade and destroy other peaplos culture...so a little statement like that doesnt have that much of an infliction than you do....

I don't think, Japan would be too happy with Chinese army bases on its territory.

japan wouldnt be happy if there german,american,chinese,korean, or any god dam foreign basses on its land...

besides whats this about china a threat anyway..arent the US the threat.. you want to paint china a bad guy just because its a communist..now its doin buisness like the capitalist,you see it as a economic threat and you want to eliminate all economic competitors...isnt buisness is all about competition..who can give the best..the most and the fastest..in buisness there is no lose..its a win win policy... the US is trying to eliminate all competitors and dominate everything...thats fact...

just because china conquered tibet you want to paint it a black face...what about US? how many peaplo and countries have been conquered by their european decendants and ancestorial imperialist colonization who plunder and ravage the world for 800 years destroying so many cultures and wiping off so many civilizations...didint your ancestors destroyed the forbidden city of china and invaded and conquered china...and the south east asia...not to mention africa and middle east..india and pakistan both same race splitted by nations into nothing but bickering dogs curropted by the very conquerors... how many murder and racist genocides made by the US...the plundering and ravaging of black peaplo..red indians...hawaiians and etc...

you cannot compare to the amount of plundering and ravaging in american and european or even christian history..towards other peaplo...

you want to legitimate your righteousness because of china,japan,middle east and germany?for all history has written..youre the bloody ones who started it... if you conquer is right..but when the japanese and germans did it..its wrong?what double standard idea is that...

Oh well, I think, you have that everywhere in the world. Where large military bases are, you will have quite some prostitution

it doesnt matter what you think... not every large military basses..im livin near my countries military base..and they dont have that except US large military basses in foreign land...think about that...can you dig that...

Vanguard_Vendetta said:
i personally dont care what must be said..american culture is crap..
& that from the same one who said "not every do cultures can share your values..and one must learn to accept each other as they are". Hypocrisy applied.

besides whats this about china a threat anyway..arent the US the threat..
Not for Japan, obviously.

you want to paint china a bad guy just because its a communist
It's not communist, only the ruling dictatorial party calls it as such.

the US is trying to eliminate all competitors and dominate everything...thats fact...
Nope. One of the biggest competitors is the EU. Haven't noticed any elimination bids yet. That the US is trying to exert influence is normal, pretty much every nation does so.

just because china conquered tibet you want to paint it a black face
Do I want to paint it black? What makes you think so? I like China & Chinese culture, but that doesn't mean that I have to adore everything China & Chinese did & do.

conquered by their european decendants and ancestorial imperialist colonization who plunder and ravage the world for 800 years destroying so many cultures and wiping off so many civilizations...
Oh man, you know, that somehow reminds me of the Islamic conquests as well.

didint your ancestors destroyed the forbidden city of china and invaded and conquered china...
My ancestors? Don't know what they did. I'm pretty sure my grandma did nothing like that, she's the earliest of my lineage I have any greater knowledge about.

BTW, the last people who conquered China were the Manchu. I'm almost 100% positive that I don't have Manchu ancestry.

you cannot compare to the amount of plundering and ravaging in american and european or even christian history..towards other peaplo...
You can compare everything, even apples & pears.

for all history has written..youre the bloody ones who started it...
The US is pretty young, it's rather improbable that it started (writing) history.

if you conquer is right..but when the japanese and germans did it..
Err... I am German.

it doesnt matter what you think... not every large military basses..im livin near my countries military base..and they dont have that except US large military basses in foreign land...think about that...can you dig that...
I'm not a digger, but a thinker. :p
Maybe in Malaysia it's better hidden than in some other countries, but I'm pretty sure it is there. Simple matter of human nature. Depending on the country where they are located, US bases obviously have a larger customer basis for prostitution than eg. Malaysian bases. Just because US soldiers have much more money to spend.

I think USA must fire from Japan USA does not has culture it is groub from poor people in the world and disoppintment in thier country consist USA and then they killed the orginal American people ..it is USA so they don't have right to prtect the world from the world they try to control in the world under the law of "freedom" and they don't have freedom in USA ..now USA it is groups from company every company has one man in Congress ....this is the great USA only so if this company need oil ...the man of this company will fight and go to Iraq or even Germany to get Oil ......!!!!!!!!!! funny

flashjeff said:
As for why U.S. forces are still in Japan, I can narrow it down to a couple of words: North Korea.

Call me wrong or crazy, but as long as that crackpot Kim Jong Il is still in power, the threat exists that he might get a wild hair up his *** and ponder invading Japan, the reason he hasn't is mostly due to America's presence over there. And heaven only knows what China might consider doing if Japan were left to their own devices. And they have the bomb.
That's just my opinion for what it's worth. Probably not much.

I think that the United States have bases because of where the bases are situated, I agree...for example North Korea poses a threat, hence, the Americans still have base in Okinawa because of where it is situated.
However, I don't agree completely with you flashjeff that China poses a direct threat....it is more North Korea, which has a standing army of five million....

Back
Top Bottom