What's new

Weed in Japan?

I'm going to revive this topic out of curiosity.

Is it normal in japan for people to smoke weed? Even if it is illegal is there a large population of people that do it, and is it a common thing? I know where I live and in my age group, there is ALOT of people that do it, despite it being illegal. It was the same when I was in America and Toronto. In fact my friends have been caught before and given under a certain g ( I think you can't have over 28g) they take it away simply, and depending on the officer call your guardian, or give you a fine if you are over 18. I'm wondering if the average citizen over there has a more condescending viewpoint on weed, rather than here where I think alot of people don't mind people smoking weed, or they smoke it themselves.

Also, are the laws tougher on getting the drugs themselves? I know if anyone wanted to get weed here it would be a 10 minute walk to the park, with $10, and you are good for a while.

Do not come to Japan if you have any desire to smoke weed! It is nothing like Canada, much less most of the developed world. All illegal drugs are grouped together here as bad, and the penalties for marijuana are actually higher than cocaine. Furthermore, whereas in Canada, police really don't care about a personal amount of weed, in Japan, they will bust you for being high, they will bust you for having an empty baggy with trace amounts. It can cost five to ten times as much as in Canada.

There is a culture of it, but it really is way to risky, especially for foreigners, who'll get the maximum penalties every time, ending with a deportation.

Japan is a different world.

Hello thanks for your response, I wasn't intending on going to japan ( Cmon now with those weed prices... lol jk) , just rather curious on what it's thought of there. Sorry if it came across that way, just rather curious on what countries in asia thought about it, as it seems Japan is one of the more advanced in the world. Mabye this is only technologically rather than culturally it seems lol, not that this is necessarily a bad thing. Your completely right about Canadian police, they seem to be in general, very laid back. Hmm, is there a reason why the penalty for marijuana is higher than cocaine?

Hello thanks for your response, I wasn't intending on going to japan ( Cmon now with those weed prices... lol jk) , just rather curious on what it's thought of there. Sorry if it came across that way, just rather curious on what countries in asia thought about it, as it seems Japan is one of the more advanced in the world. Mabye this is only technologically rather than culturally it seems lol, not that this is necessarily a bad thing. Your completely right about Canadian police, they seem to be in general, very laid back. Hmm, is there a reason why the penalty for marijuana is higher than cocaine?

No worries. I find it an interesting topic. Japan just has a zero tolerance for illegal drugs, but a lot of it has to do with importing American policies in the post-war era. Considering the nature of the country, it is simply harder to import drugs, so the culture never developed. It's around though, I've been to lots of raves/parties where weed, coke, acid, and e goes around. It's just more expensive and more secretive.

Interestingly, Japan had a policy of things being legal unless otherwise stated. Until about 2002, magic mushrooms were technically legal. When I came in 2003, dmt (a super potent hallucinogen, for those who haven't heard of it) was legal. I bought some in Shibuya, and legally got wrecked out of my head.

I see, it seems reasonable in one sense, but unreasonable in another. From what I've seen online it looks like one gram can be 50 dollars to 80 dollars lol. Wow I am not sure if I would pay that much for 1g..... 10 dollars here is enough.
My friends in europe can get 1g for 6 canadian dollars if you do the conversion apparently. Never tried dmt, but I have had friends who had. I'd rather not go past anything more potent than weed. ^-^.

Would all the dealers in Japan be Yakuza? Or random high school teenagers are dealers over there too? Alot of the dealers here are highschool students.(Who like to give you 1.6g when you ask for 2g)

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Back
Top Bottom