What's new

Question Using Japanese negative words vs. negative state-of-being

Ashlynn

Registered
25 Oct 2018
In Japanese, some negative words have the same translation as negative state-of-being words. When are you suppose to use them over the other? Why use them over the other?
Ex: 不味い (Mazui; bad tasting) and 美味しくない(Oishikunai; does not taste good.)
I see this often when a person uses ない(nai) over a proper negative adjective/verb.

Sometimes the opposing adjective can sound a bit harsh, or too assertive. In this case the ~くない adjective can be a means of softening the statement, even though the end result is the same. Or, if someone asks you something using a certain adjective, and you want to express a negative opinion, it is polite and appropriate to answer using that same adjective but in the negative form.
高いですか?
高くないです。
But there is no rule. You can answer using the above by saying 「いいえ、安いです」

...But this is no different from what we do in English.
"Is that expensive?"
"No it is not expensive" or "No, its cheap"

Sometimes the opposing adjective can sound a bit harsh, or too assertive. In this case the ~くない adjective can be a means of softening the statement, even though the end result is the same. Or, if someone asks you something using a certain adjective, and you want to express a negative opinion, it is polite and appropriate to answer using that same adjective but in the negative form.
高いですか?
高くないです。
But there is no rule. You can answer using the above by saying 「いいえ、安いです」
I see. I thought as much but I'm glad that I have confirmation.Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom