What's new

The lottery in Japan is ... impossible that this would happen

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
4 Sep 2015
Impossible.

lottery.png

26 winners. Its not right. My opinion is this: its to get the minds off the corona virus and we can't travel this 4 day holiday. Sucks, but this lotto is ... if you have ever noticed, when a new loto station opens up , in the very near future there are always a jackpot winner there. (the smaller loto stations have never had a jackpot winner, basically, you win by playing the scratch offs ) I'm pissed to see today's results. Its a fkn joke.

Are you a regular player? I admit I have never tried, in Japan or elsewhere. I'd say 20m JPY isn't too bad.

I'm sometimes thinking of buying a ticket but feel I won't win anyway so why waste the money.

Winning 20 million would be nice for sure

Are lottery winner names public info here? (Some states in the US require it, others don't.)

Is it taxed (and how)?

The problem with public knowledge is that folks who know you will hit you up for a "loan", present some "investment" scheme, and so on.

Are you a regular player? I admit I have never tried, in Japan or elsewhere. I'd say 20m JPY isn't too bad.

For a few days of "hope", I usually spend 200 yen a week. The most I won at one time was around 9000 yen. Also by playing the lottery, I get out to cycle to the mall where the lottery station is. These days even if I won like 8 million yen, I wouldn't know where to spend it.

Last edited:
Are lottery winner names public info here? (Some states in the US require it, others don't.)

Is it taxed (and how)?

The problem with public knowledge is that folks who know you will hit you up for a "loan", present some "investment" scheme, and so on.

To answer your questions.
1. There is no disclosure of the winners name. (see #4 )
2. If you win one million yen or more, when you do your city's taxes, there is a place on the tax forum where you report it. YOU ARE NOT TAXED. It is all tax free money.
3. At the lottery station, if when a small amount ( maybe under 50000 yen ) you'll get paid at the lottery station.
4. If you win over certain amount, then you have to go to a Mizuho bank. There your ticket is verified. After that you sit down with the manager and fill out I think 3 papers. The last question you fill in is this: How do you plan to spend your winnings. Only the bank personal will know your name. At that time you can collect all in cash ( not really advisable if over one million yen) or open an account with Mizuho bank. The other option is to wire the money to your regular bank account.

Hope this helps you out. The above is how it works, as I went to Mizuho bank with a person who won some money in the past.

Back
Top Bottom