What's new

Help Struggling With Japanese Sentence Structure

DolfWantHug

Registered
10 Jun 2017
So I Have been studying Japanese for around 3-4 Months now and I am loving all of it and being able to pick up on things in Japanese Music,Anime and Manga etc. But there is one massive problem I am having and that is sentence structure. I feel my vocabulary is growing very quickly as I study around 10 words a day using a app called memrise its a lot like Anki in case anyone doesn't know what is it. If anyone has any advice for me on this subject it would be greatly appreciated and thank you all in advance.

The standard answer is:

Take a class if possible. If that isn't possible, then get a proper textbook to learn from. Genki is widely used and frequently recommended.

Welcome to the forum.

I have genki and am planing to take classes with my high school next year. I am having a hard time putting it all together I don't know if it is because I have only been through a few chapters or if I am just really lacking in the grammar I have been over. I am on chapter 6 by the way. Maybe I haven't been far enough into the book?

We have had several members who start a dedicated thread to post their exercises from Genki and specific questions they may have. You are welcome to do the same if you wish. There will be somebody here who will help you.

Self study has limits. Can you find a class or private tutor? Is there a Japan America club or something similar nearby?

I managed to do self-study up until reaching mid level study, around NLPT N3. At that point, Japanese to English direct translation gets quite difficult. For new learners though, the sentence structure is so alien to English speakers it can be baffling, but one day it'll fall into place. There are patterns, just not English ones. The usage of particle markers in particular was a stumbling block for me.

I studied the Japanese for Busy People text first, and could do so much of it at the end, but still didn't comprehend the how and why. I was just parroting it. A year later I reviewed it and it was like child's play. Of course a tutor is good, but their advice may not sink in very well until you are more used to the language. Kind of like explaining how to play a video game before you play it, until you are actually playing it, it can go over your head.

Back
Top Bottom