What's new

Lipstick-stained masks sold online in Japan

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
There seems to be a market for everything: JC (女子中学生 joshi chūgakusei) and other young ladies have started selling their used masks online. While it is illegal for minors to sell underwear, the same restrictions do not apply to used masks. A company employee in her 30s who lives in Tokyo came across a tweet in the summer of 2021 by a person selling used masks. She had already been selling her clothes and accessories via a second-hand market app, so she too started selling used masks, thinking of it as "nothing more than an extension" of what she was already doing. The current rate for used masks seems to be around 100 JPY apiece.

Her first sale was in August 2021. She posted a picture of a mask that she had used all day at work and the gym, stained with makeup and sweat. She lied about her age and claimed she was in her 20s. And within 24 hours, she received inquiries from several people. After negotiating with the customers, she sold around four masks for 500 yen (roughly $4) each in a month. Today, she has at least one regular, and brings in about 3,000 yen a month from her used masks. [...] "I don't really want to do this, but I'm not old enough to work. I'm doing it to make money to buy manga. I plan to quit when I get to high school," she told the Mainichi.

I'm a bit surprised that this is allowed as wouldn't there be health concerns? What if the person had COVID or some other communicable disease?

I had read* on the internet** that the vending machines and adult magazines that supposedly have women's worn panties in them are actually all new because it was illegal to sell actual worn panties because of health concerns.

*I think that was either a thread here or on the GaijinPot forum about weird vending machines in Japan. It was quite a while ago so it may have been somewhere else too.
** Oh the things we see on the internet! :rolleyes:

When that's run its course she can move on to selling her bathwater and farts.

lm.jpgmwls.jpg

Masks are judged safe as they were only worn on lab monkeys while testing lipstick quality.

Back
Top Bottom