What's new

Japan's weather agency website starts carrying ads in controversial move

Davey

先輩
Contributor
5 Feb 2005
Wow.. does everything needs adds these days? I really find it so annoying! From youtube showing adds in each video from my favorite, well not anymore, Dutch news site...

Really annoying and shouldn't be at a site like this!!

The Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) website gets about 7.9 billion hits per year, traffic projected to generate significant ad income that the agency judged could be used to help defray its costs.

Wow, I wish we had just 10% of that traffic. 😳

I can't blame them, servers, programmers and software don't come cheap. Here at JREF, we currently display (Google) ads to guests only, but honestly, it's just a drop in the bucket.

Wow.. does everything needs adds these days? I really find it so annoying! From youtube showing adds in each video from my favorite, well not anymore, Dutch news site...

Really annoying and shouldn't be at a site like this!!

No one is willing to pay for content so I can't think of any good alternatives. Although definitely unusual for a government agency to do this.

I'm actually surprised that they would be allowed to do that considering they are a government agency.

Also, what in the world are they doing on their website for it to cost that much to manage?

I can understand that it cost a lot of money to get the information but that should be government controlled. The website itself , won't say it's simple, but it's mainly connecting the data from those providers. So yeah why does it cost this much money ?

The only thing that would seem to make sense is that they are hosting it externally as well. With that much traffic I could see a cloud provider costing quite a bit. But, again, that would be odd for a Government agency to do.

Back
Top Bottom