What's new

News Japan's Digital Agency ignored by bureaucracy

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Japan's Digital Agency, established by former PM Suga, suffers from a chronic lack of personnel and is ignored by other agencies.

Along with being short-staffed, more often than not, other ministries simply ignored requests from the Digital Agency. One item on its policy agenda was spreading the use of the My Number card system beyond just social security and tax payments. When the health ministry was pushing to have the My Number card take the place of health insurance cards, ministry officials came up with a plan to pay for equipment to read the cards that would be installed at medical institutions. It doesn't take a digital wizard to realize that allowing such institutions to tack on the cost of installation onto medical fees and having patients pay extra would not go down well with the public. Because those who took the trouble to convert their My Number card to take over the health insurance card functions would end up shouldering a greater burden, Digital Agency officials realized the public would never go for the plan.

To provide additional momentum to the agency's efforts, Kishida named Taro Kono as the new digital minister in his August Cabinet reshuffle. Kono is known for his maverick ways, and his extensive use of social media could generate greater interest in what the Digital Agency does.

takashi-asanuma.jpg

Wearing a T-shirt won't get you far with the bureaucrats.

Back
Top Bottom