What's new

Japanese Language Learning Resource List

I made a japanese dictionary app for android, since I wanted to have something similar to imiwa on android.
You can drop in anything e.g. japanese in romaji, conjugated japanese verbs, japanese sentences. It will analyze the text and find the best entries according to similarity and word frequency.
Supported languages are german and english currently. It's free. Perhaps it helps someone :)

Ultimate Japanese - Android Apps on Google Play

I want a Japanese learning tool that's fun and memorable. That's almost impossible to find... But, "sparkjapanese.com" is just giving out a video game demo that uses awesome memory techniques to help the words stand out. I also like that you can play it right from the homepage. Companies should invest in this kinda thing!

I want a Japanese learning tool that's fun and memorable. That's almost impossible to find... But, "sparkjapanese.com" is just giving out a video game demo that uses awesome memory techniques to help the words stand out. I also like that you can play it right from the homepage. Companies should invest in this kinda thing!

What is your connection with the website?

Not sure if this has been said yet, but the number one Japanese learning resource for me is my wife. Seriously. Get a girlfriend, friend, buddy, whatever. Native or near native speakers is where you'll learn everything that's not in the book.

Two that I didn't see on the list. One is a little game called Kana Invaders. Kinda like space invaders, only in order to zap the invaders, you must type the corresponding kana's in the keyboard. It has two modes: hiragana and katakana, so it only helps with the basics.
The second one is an app called Japanese Kanji Study - 漢字学習 by Chase Colburn. It is available on Android and iOS. I find it very useful in helping me keep my kanji memorized. The app features a study mode with flash cards, a writing practice that enforces proper stroke order and direction and a "judgement" section that is a timed multiple choice identification. There are a lot of great features in this and it is the best Japanese practice app I have come across so far!
"Kanji Study is my ongoing project that attempts to be an easy to use and helpful app for learning Japanese kanji. Start by splitting up kanji sets into manageable sizes, then study using flashcards and review using customizable quizzes. Learn to write kanji with a challenging draw practice mode and use the search feature to look up kanji quickly. The app is currently in ENGLISH only and is NOT entirely free. The free version has no ads and offers full study for beginner kanji, hiragana, katakana, and radicals. The search feature is completely free and not restricted. The one-time upgrade unlocks the remaining kanji for studying and allows you to create your own custom sets. It also supports continued development of this app." - Excerpt of Chase's description of the app

As for books, I recommend The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary (ISBN: 978-1568364070) Revised and Expanded Edition released in 2013. This one is actually newer than my copy, which is the 2001 "New" Edition (ISBN: 978-4-7700-2855-6). The other reference book I recommend is also a Kodansha one: A Dictionary of Japanese Particles (ISBN: 978-1568365428).

Last edited:
Hi there,
I hope this is useful. It's a free website with no advertising that contains a bunch of Japan-based info. There is a Learn Japanese section that has Kanji lists, dictionaries, a free online kanji quiz and online animated kana flash-card app.
Homepage: Japanga.com | Welcome
Learn Japanese homepage: Japanga.com | Learn Japanese
Kanji Quiz: Japanga.com | Kanji Quiz
Note that the quiz although free, does require registration and login because it saves your attempts and sets up custom practice exercises for based on your results that you can return to at any time
Kana Practice Flshcards: Japanga.com | Learn Hiragana and Japanga.com | Learn Katakana

Hi, thought I'd add this here, I made a couple of games for my kids when they started learning Japanese. I recently put them online so their friends could play them, and will be adding more soon. If you know anyone just starting out, please let them know about these if it will help them.

I've made one for people first starting, and having difficulty Differentiating the kana - Kana Grid. This one is for desktops and iPads / tablets.

There's also a Katakana and Hiragana Drag and Drop game - Kana Bento, which plays on desktop / phone / tablets.

The next game will be a bit more advanced, and will start on reading Hiragana words.

Cheers

I am using this app:

[ Moderator edit: developers are asked to submit their apps to the Review section. ]

nice app, works offline with pronunciation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I developed three Android app for learn Japanese and help me in my study. Two of them help in learn kana alphabet and one is, currently, for study JLPT words (but I have in planning to improve with new features). All apps are free with ad. In case you try them and find some error or have suggestion please send me a message. ^_^

JLPT study
JLPT Training

Thanks everyone for these resources.
I need to learn Japanese very soon. I heard it takes 7 years, but I think if I put in some daily effort, I can at least understand how to find the translation to phrases I come across by myself and not look so clueless. Can anyone give a summary on the best free resources?
I imagine I'd have to memorize hiragana and katakana first, but then do I just jump into memorizing Kanji?

I use these to help me master hiragana and katakana:

Hiragana Drag-n-Drop Exercise
Katakana Drag-n-Drop Exercise

On the website *****.com you can also learn japanese.
Great resource for jlpt levels and its free

Last edited by a moderator:
I just created a dummy account to check the pricing.

Recurring monthly charge of 9.00USD, or onetime payment of 200.00USD.

Because the original post misleadingly claimed that it was free, I strongly recommend that the post in its entirety be scrubbed from the forum. If that is not possible, then I recommend that the domain name be obscured in all places, including the OP's signature block and the subsequent post in which it is mentioned in the quoted text.

If you are interested in a grammar focused teaching approach, please visit my new website at: https://www.japanasu.com

There's lots of free stuff on there including courses, interactive assessments, vocabulary, visual hiragana mnemonics, byte-sized lessons and more.. !

Also, I am a native Japanese Teacher, and I will answer any questions about the Japanese language and culture on my website forum. The forum is quite empty at the moment because I have just launched the website, but I am teaming up with a not for profit charity that should bring in more traffic in the near future.

どうぞよろしくお願いします!

Back
Top Bottom