What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Japanese Language Learning Resource List

voicesinjapan

Kouhai
Reaction score
I have real trouble sitting down and studying kanji, but what really made a huge difference for me was ankiweb.net.

You can find already made decks (donated by users) that contain all the kanji, grammar and vocab you need for the JLPT tests for FREE! You can download them to your online account and study them on your phone while travelling to work, sitting on the toilet etc. This one I downloaded for N2, Nihongo So-Matome N2 Kanji - AnkiWeb

I wish I had found this resource 10 years ago, I would have passed N2 by now!

Last edited by a moderator:

Derek247

Registered
Reaction score
If you are looking for an individual learning app; 'Duolingo' is very good, for an app to connect with others around the world ie. native speakers, 'Hellotalk' can be useful.

For an interactive DVD, the ones from www.realjapaneselesson.com are really good but they're like $20 or so, I can't find any good free ones

I have also found children (or adults, depending on your level) shows on youtube are fun to watch, just type cartoon network (in katakana) in youtube search and you can find a lot of good shows

EJPOD

Registered
Reaction score
Whoa, thanks for sharing guys. I've tried to not miss anything already listed already and was surprised to see that NHK web news easy wasn't suggested.

Honestly for learning Kanji, staying up to date with news or just reading in general, this is one of my go-to sites. The level isn't super hard, but, recently with the covid 19 information, I've been learning a lot of new kanji and vocabulary.

Also, for anyone interested in a podcast, for intermediate learning, my friend and I have started a channel. The first series will be describing 100 pictures such as;

1. Someone who looks like Rocky is running in a park.
2. 4 cats grouped together are on a perch.
3. A girl is reading a science magazine on a train.
4. A man is carrying a surfboard beside traffic lights with a button.
5. Parents are arguing in front of their children.
6. 2 towers and 1 temples reflection is on a lake.
7. A daughter is being pulled by her father cycling a bike beside cherry trees.
8. A man is in the middle of his swing playing golf.
9. 3 women are jumping into the sky above the grass.
10. A man is holding a cigarette in his mouth, cutting stone at work.

Good luck learning guys, it's a long never-ending road.....but it's fun!

louis_jp

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am building a website for people willing to pass the JLPT. I gathered on it kanji, vocabulary and grammar lessons.
This is under construction but in the end, the site would also host some audio and video material as well as a virtual simulation of the JLPT test.
I am also thinking about opening some posts on the blog section later in July for sharing with you some casual expressions, and some details about the Japanese language that you could catch only by living in Japan (which is luckily my case) and that actually does not appear in any book.

If you would like to have a look at these resources please find the URL here:

Also, in the end, I would like to build a community of Japanese learners and to adapt the site to the needs of the community so if you have any idea or any functionality you would like to see on the website that could improve your learning experience, please feel free to contact me.

Amir77

後輩
Reaction score
I tried duolingo and it’s not that good for me? Mainly since it was on random characters. I’m gonna check at the other apps here for the phone.

cocoichi

Sempai
Reaction score
I have a ton of books, but since I learned about SRS study, I never opened them again.

The ease of use, together with the perfect timing to repeat something, makes that I learn and remember things much better.

Most aspects of Japanese study have an SRS system available:

Kanji: Wanikani
Vocabulary: Torii SRS
Grammar: Bunpro

If you are serious about it, you can sustainably learn 2000 kanji with Wanikani in about one year.

Best thing about the programs above is that they offer free trials, while torii is completely free anyway. Should you wish to continue, then expect to spend around 10-15 dollar per month. I good deal I would say for something so effective. Buying books with the same amount of content would cost you easily 100-200 dollar in total.

cocoichi

Sempai
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am building a website for people willing to pass the JLPT. I gathered on it kanji, vocabulary and grammar lessons.
This is under construction but at the end, the site would also host some audio and video material as well as a virtual simulation of the JLPT test.
I am also thinking about opening some posts on the blog section later in July for sharing with you some casual expressions, and some details about the Japanese language that you could catch only by living in Japan (which is luckily my case) and that actually does not appear in any book.

If you would like to have a look at these resources please find the url here : JLPT Matome

Also, at the end I would like to build a community of Japanese learners and to adapt the site to the needs of the community so if you have any idea or any functionality you would like to see on the website that could improve your learning experience, please feel free to contact me.

May I ask out of interest how you intend to set your website apart from the rest? There are currently a ton of websites doing this already in some way or another, so I think you need some USPs to draw people to your site.

Jezinn

Kouhai
Contributor
Reaction score
Stumbled upon this odd new gem called Japanese Language Decode. I was using the Japanese Picture Dictionary previously, but stuff was just not sticking in my head. Found this thing, and was like "Oh well let's see what it can do". Thought I would be out of some spare cash at first, but surprisingly, this software had things clicking. It can do retesting of those things that you forgot. Have been totally absorbed by it this past week. Helping me tremendously, to the extent I might take a shot at the JLPT eventually.

After using it for a few days, saw there was a video about it too. The video kind of explains it, but I don't think it does the program justice. This software has all kinds of goodies in it.

Buntaro

運動不足
Reaction score
Hi Jezinn and welcome to the forum.

I am glad to hear you are studying Japanese. Have you learned hiragana and katakana?

Jezinn

Kouhai
Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Jezinn and welcome to the forum.

I am glad to hear you are studying Japanese. Have you learned hiragana and katakana?
Yes. Was exposed to the kana way before buying Japanese Language Decoded. Used videos on YouTube like Learn Hiragana, and stuff like that.

But you know, the kana and kanji are just so numerous. It goes on and on (even Japanese can forget them), so for me, needed something to help me memorize. Also, I'm not the type to be having all kinds of random books, printed out papers all over, or lots of pdf files laying around. You know, like to the learn the kana, go over there. Kanji books over here. Phrase book in that other place. I like simple, and rather mostly have a single go to. So using software works for me.

Buntaro

運動不足
Reaction score
Jezinn,

I am glad to hear you are doing well with ひらがな and カタカナ. As for me, I chose not to master ひらがな when I was a beginning student of にほんご. (I felt learning it was too めんどくさい.) Instead, I wrote everything out in ローマじ. But later, when I was suddenly forced to stop using ローマじ and only use ひらがな, I suffered terribly. (I almost failed the first semester of にほんご because I hadn’t mastered ひらがな.) I am glad to hear this will not happen to you.

By the way, I am sure everyone here can use ひらがな, so feel to type in ひらがな when you want to write out a にほんご の ことば.

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score

Hadamitzky Kanji Posters​

Hadamitzky is a well-known German publisher of Japanese language materials, textbooks, and bibliographies. On their website, they offer free Kanji posters for download:

English

pdf.gif
Kanji-Poster no. 1 EN: The 2,136 Jōyō Kanji with On and Kun Readings (K&K) (0.9 MB; 2019, 3., rev. Version 2021)
pdf.gif
Kanji Poster no. 2 EN: The 2,136 Jōyō Kanji with On and Kun Readings (79 radicals) (0.9 MB; 2019, 3., rev. Version 2021)
pdf.gif
Kanji Poster no. 3 EN: The 2,136 Jōyō Kanji with their Meanings (K&K) (0.9 MB; 2019, 3., rev. Version 2021)
pdf.gif
Kanji-Poster no. 4 EN: The 2,136 Jōyō Kanji with their Meanings (79 radicals) (0.9 MB; 2019, 3., rev. Version 2021)
pdf.gif
Kanji Poster no. 5 EN: The 2,136 Jōyō Kanji with Reading and Meanings (K&K) (0.9 MB, 2021)
pdf.gif
Kanji Poster no. 6 EN: The 2,136 Jōyō Kanji with Reading and Meanings (79 radicals) (0.9 MB, 2021)
pdf.gif
Kanji Poster no. 7 EN: The 2,136 Jōyō Kanji with two Readings and Meanings (Aiueo) (0.9 MB, 2021)

These posters are also available in French, German, and Italian; they can be printed in A0 or A1.

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score

Hadamitzky Kanji Posters​

Hadamitzky is a well-known German publisher of Japanese language materials, textbooks, and bibliographies. On their website, they offer free Kanji posters for download:

English

View attachment 47302 Kanji-Poster no. 1 EN: The 2,136 Jōyō Kanji with On and Kun Readings (K&K) (0.9 MB; 2019, 3., rev. Version 2021)
View attachment 47303 Kanji Poster no. 2 EN: The 2,136 Jōyō Kanji with On and Kun Readings (79 radicals) (0.9 MB; 2019, 3., rev. Version 2021)
View attachment 47304 Kanji Poster no. 3 EN: The 2,136 Jōyō Kanji with their Meanings (K&K) (0.9 MB; 2019, 3., rev. Version 2021)
View attachment 47305 Kanji-Poster no. 4 EN: The 2,136 Jōyō Kanji with their Meanings (79 radicals) (0.9 MB; 2019, 3., rev. Version 2021)
View attachment 47306 Kanji Poster no. 5 EN: The 2,136 Jōyō Kanji with Reading and Meanings (K&K) (0.9 MB, 2021)
View attachment 47307 Kanji Poster no. 6 EN: The 2,136 Jōyō Kanji with Reading and Meanings (79 radicals) (0.9 MB, 2021)
View attachment 47308 Kanji Poster no. 7 EN: The 2,136 Jōyō Kanji with two Readings and Meanings (Aiueo) (0.9 MB, 2021)

These posters are also available in French, German, and Italian; they can be printed in A0 or A1.

Pretty cool and its all free too.

Eamynes62

Registered
Reaction score
Looking to start learning about the Japanese language I collected many recommendations online due to accepting all leads and opinions.
I recommend learning Hiragana and Katakana first if you haven't already as it is quite necessary, and can be quite satisfying to read, in my opinion.

For immersion, I like to listen to Japanese music on YouTube and try to pick out things that I recognize. I watched a lot of Japanese live streams. Twitter can also be helpful if you follow Japanese speakers, as it has google translate built-in, however, as I'm sure you probably know, don't rely on google translate, it sucks, especially for Japanese, I've found the translator linked above to be better, but it is still of course not 100% accurate.

I have garnered a few resources:

Dictionary: jisho.org

Translator: deepl.com/translator

I haven't used this site much myself yet but have heard quite good things about it: marshallyin.com

For Kanji: wanikani.com/ also apps.ankiweb.net/

Good luck to all you guys who are learning Japanese.

Siface

Kouhai
Reaction score
Hey!
My friend just started a YouTube channel for teaching Japanese, and you can also find her on Instagram or italki for private lessons. If it’s ok I’ll leave her information here and if anyone’s interested you can contact her directly or just give a quick like or subscribe ;)

Thanks for your time!

Top Bottom