What's new

Import Manga in Japanese?

Dubwiser

後輩
1 May 2003
I'm just starting out learning Japanese and really enjoying it. I want to keep expanding my brain and keep it all fresh in my mind. I know that I'll have the incentive to do this if I have something good to (try and) read. Where can I get Manga in Japanese imported to England? Any ideas would be gratefully recieved.

Originally posted by iamclayb
Good quality but Used Japanese Manga can be found at: Learn Japanese with The Japan Shop

OMG! Thank you so much for this link. Now I can resume my crayon shin-chan manga collection!

*builds statue of iamclayb and starts to worship it*:D

By the way, you can also get some used mangas from AbeBooks | Shop for Books, Art & Collectibles
I've bought "Japanese for busy people" and "An Introduction to Modern Japanese" books there. They were both published more than 10 years ago, but they still look new.

Magna and Anime are the worst study tools you can buy for learning Japanese, they use language that real Japanese people and un-correct levels of politeness to make it more funny to the Japanese audiance. Thinking real Japanese act how anime characters act is Dangerous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand that Squareboy. Even subtitled or dubbed, if anyone acted like a manga character in real life you'd think they were mental. I'd still like to try, I very much enjoy manga and having something to read in Japanese would challenge me and keep up my kanji recognition. Would you suggest anything to read in Japanese (without pictures and weird language) that would be suitable for a beginner?

Squareboy has a good point. Manga and anime are not good learning tools. They can be good for practice, but they can force you into bad habits that you don't even know you're getting into. Unfortunately, I find that there are very few good Japanese learning tools, either in or out of Japan, so one has to find substitutes.

JALT (JALT | Learning to Teach, Teaching to Learn) has good material for learners. If you're at a level that allows you to do so, I recommend the novels by Banana Yoshimoto. Her writing is simple (if not all that exciting) and current. If you absolutely want to read manga, then you should aim for the more intellectual manga such as Nausicaa and Gunnm, but to do so you'd have to order them from the editors or from one of the links in the eariler posts, if they can.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom