What's new

How to distinguish words written in a sentence in Hiragana/Katakana

RvBVakama

後輩
21 Sep 2014
いもうどん
I was watching a vlog and came across this, I read it as "imou don" not as the correct "imo udon".
Other then knowing enough vocabulary to help distinguish words, are there any tricks to distinguish different word in sentences, other than when it changes from hiragana/katakana/kanji to another character set and from location based guides (if I had noticed it was an udon shop I would have said to myself it cannot be "imou don" it will have to be "imo udon")

Short answer: no

Long answer: this continues to happen even after you have a considerable vocabulary and can sometimes even trip up native speakers for a brief instant

Short answer: no

Long answer: this continues to happen even after you have a considerable vocabulary and can sometimes even trip up native speakers for a brief instant
wow, thanks, that is pretty crazy. Have you got any examples that portray 2 things at once? I mean depending on where you add spaces the sentence says 2 different things.

wow, thanks, that is pretty crazy. Have you got any examples that portray 2 things at once? I mean depending on where you add spaces the sentence says 2 different things.

[かんそう][きかして][ください]
Please tell me your thoughts

[かんそうき][かして][ください]
Please loan me your clothes dryer

[だいぶ][つかった]
I used a lot

[だいぶつ][かった]
I bought a giant statue of Buddha

[かんそう][きかして][ください]
Please tell me your thoughts

[かんそうき][かして][ください]
Please loan me your clothes dryer

[だいぶ][つかった]
I used a lot

[だいぶつ][かった]
I bought a giant statue of Buddha
Dude you are the best!
Those examples are Cho/Chou Omoshiroi
PS. I did not know which it was Cho or Chou (the prefix young people use to mean "very")

These are kind of like word play. You can buy kids books with these kinds of things. Here's one that I have read to my kids many times:

It's not me reading on the video. Unfortunately, the guy discovered the laugh track feature of his video software. Annoying. But you get the idea. Note, since it's for kids the book uses spaces to delineate the word breaks.

Have you got any examples that portray 2 things at once?
other examples;
ここで はきもの を ぬいで ください(ここで履物を脱いでください)
ここでは きもの を ぬいで ください(ここでは着物を脱いでください)

くるま で まとう(車で待とう)
くる まで まとう(来るまで待とう)

しんだいしゃ たのむ(寝台車頼む)
しん だいしゃ たのむ(新台車頼む)
しんだ いしゃ たのむ(死んだ医者頼む)

ぜんかい じょうとする(前回譲渡する)
ぜん かいじょう と する(全会場とする)

お おきなさい(お起きなさい)
おお きなさい(おお来なさい)
おおきな さい(大きなサイ)

きょう は しらが ふえました(今日は白髪増えました)
きょう はしら が ふえました(今日柱が増えました)

ぱん つくった(パン作った)
ぱんつ くった(パンツ食った)

きょう ふ の みそしる(今日麩の味噌汁)
きょうふ の みそしる(恐怖の味噌汁)

はなこ さんじゅうご さい(花子三十五歳)
はなこ さん じゅうご さい(花子さん十五歳)

おしょく じけん(汚職事件)
お しょくじ けん(お食事券)

PS. I did not know which it was Cho or Chou (the prefix young people use to mean "very")
Chō or Chou
The vowel must be elongated.

These are kind of like word play. You can buy kids books with these kinds of things. Here's one that I have read to my kids many times:

It's not me reading on the video. Unfortunately, the guy discovered the laugh track feature of his video software. Annoying. But you get the idea. Note, since it's for kids the book uses spaces to delineate the word breaks.

Hahaha hohoho hahah ho, yes very funny indeed... Thanks for the video

other examples;
ここで はきもの を ぬいで ください(ここで履物を脱いでください)
ここでは きもの を ぬいで ください(ここでは着物を脱いでください)

くるま で まとう(車で待とう)
くる まで まとう(来るまで待とう)

しんだいしゃ たのむ(寝台車頼む)
しん だいしゃ たのむ(新台車頼む)
しんだ いしゃ たのむ(死んだ医者頼む)

ぜんかい じょうとする(前回譲渡する)
ぜん かいじょう と する(全会場とする)

お おきなさい(お起きなさい)
おお きなさい(おお来なさい)
おおきな さい(大きなサイ)

きょう は しらが ふえました(今日は白髪増えました)
きょう はしら が ふえました(今日柱が増えました)

ぱん つくった(パン作った)
ぱんつ くった(パンツ食った)

きょう ふ の みそしる(今日麩の味噌汁)
きょうふ の みそしる(恐怖の味噌汁)

はなこ さんじゅうご さい(花子三十五歳)
はなこ さん じゅうご さい(花子さん十五歳)

おしょく じけん(汚職事件)
お しょくじ けん(お食事券)

Chō or Chou
The vowel must be elongated.
Thank you for all the examples and the "Chou" clear up!

Back
Top Bottom