What's new

Question How is "cell phone" in Japanese?

21 Mar 2021
Only recently I learned keitai was cell phone in Japanese, but I didnt expect (I thought it was a more standard word, Katakana usually) so I searched about it, and I got confused

ー Some people say keitai refers mostly to flipping phones, but some say it can be used for any phone, and in case the person wants to specify that its a modern smartphobe, then he/she says スマホ or フォーン. Which of the cases is more accurate?

ー About geitaidenwa (携帯電話 けいたいでんわ) and keitai, is it really like this, like the former is the full word and the latter is the shorter version (and K and G get really swapped)? And how is Keitai written (携帯、 けいたい、or any other way)?

ー And, about cultural context is there a reason why it has its own word, instead of being a global world in Katakana mode? Because what most surprised and pleased me in all this is that since most of new words (mainly related to tech) are Katakana based on the original, I'd expect the same with phones but it seems like a new/original word, if so its very good, but why did it happen? Also what do the Kanjis mean, for the word to mean phone?

Thanks in advance

I will leave the linguistic intricacies to those who know better, but it is my impression that 携帯電話 refers to all mobile devices. The clam-type mobile phones are nowadays referred to as ガラケイ.

Phonologically, garapagosu ガラパゴス ("Galapagos") + keitai ケイタイ ("cell phone") = garakei ガラケイ ("Galapagos cell phone"). It's also written garakē ガラケー (because kētai ケータイ is an accepted, indeed preferred, katakana-ization). I should note that keitai ケイタイ (or kētai ケータイ) is the first portion of keitai denwa 携帯電話 ("mobile phone"), where keitai 携帯 means "carry (along); mobile" and denwa 電話 means "(tele)phone".

So why is the garakei ガラケイ referred to as having to do with the Galapagos? The idea is that, like the animals and birds of the Galapagos Islands, which developed unique traits in isolation from mainland species so as to fit their special environment, the garakei ガラケイhas features that were developed solely in and for people of the Japanese islands without regard to global IT trends. Thus, garakei are not known or used in places outside Japan. Naturally, they have some features that are shared with cell phones elsewhere (e.g., built-in camera), but they also have functions that do not exist outside of Japan. This usage of the characterization garapagosu ガラパゴス ("Galapagos") has become very popular in Japan, especially for products from the Sharp Corporation that are thought to be especially well adapted to the current needs of Japanese consumers.

keitai means portable or handheld. keitai (携帯) is an abbreviation for keitai-denwa (携帯電話). It's almost exactly the same way you might use "mobile."
"I have a mobile phone."
"I'll call you on my mobile."

Note 携帯 can be used in a way that has nothing that has to do with phones, just as you can use "mobile" in a way that has nothing to do with phones.

携帯ゲーム機 - handheld game device
携帯核融合炉 - mobile fusion reactor
携帯用おしり洗浄器 - portable a$$ washer

I will leave the linguistic intricacies to those who know better, but it is my impression that 携帯電話 refers to all mobile devices. The clam-type mobile phones are nowadays referred to as ガラケイ.

Whoa this is a lot new for me, had never heard of this Galapagos concept neither garakei

As far as I could understand the flipping phones have some popularity there nowadays? If so it d be cool (JUDGE ME but I still like flip phones, though I dont have anymore)

So overall anyway I can use 携帯 (keitai) for any cell phobe right?

keitai means portable or handheld. keitai (携帯) is an abbreviation for keitai-denwa (携帯電話). It's almost exactly the same way you might use "mobile."
"I have a mobile phone."
"I'll call you on my mobile."

Note 携帯 can be used in a way that has nothing that has to do with phones, just as you can use "mobile" in a way that has nothing to do with phones.

携帯ゲーム機 - handheld game device
携帯核融合炉 - mobile fusion reactor
携帯用おしり洗浄器 - portable a$$ washer
Interesting

But if I say/write 携帯 alone it could be clear that its referring to a phone? (By the context for e g )

So Nintendo DS, Game Boy etc (and Nintendo Switch in parts) are 携帯ゲーム機? If so very cool, normal consoles would be ゲーム機?

So overall anyway I can use 携帯 (keitai) for any cell phobe right?
Yes.
But if I say/write 携帯 alone it could be clear that its referring to a phone? (By the context for e g )
Yes, easily figured out by the context.
If so very cool, normal consoles would be ゲーム機?
Yes that's the generic term but probably you would just call it by name it like エックスボックス.

Thanks

(Wow my title keeps changing, I was kouhai a few weeks ago, then it became some Kanji I have no idea, and b4 I could know I now became a Senpai 😱😱😱
Thats very good I suppose)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom