What's new

Favourite Japanese movie

Has someone seen the movie ノルウェイの森 (Norwegian wood)?

I really liked the novel, but the movie doesn't look too well..

Has someone seen the movie ニ知ニ停?ケニ脱ニ巽ニ辰窶堙個森 (Norwegian wood)?

I really liked the novel, but the movie doesn't look too well..

I have seen the movie and actually went to the forest where she was staying. The movie had some good parts in it but it was kind of too dark for me and I didn't really liked the ending.

Sticking to the novel might be better, but that's something you should decide for yourself

Does anime count? I'm gonna have to say Hotaru no Haka was one of the saddest "movies" I've seen in my entire life, but it was so powerful, so well done. As far as live action movies go, I'm still looking. I hate to say it but I've never seen the Seven Samurai, but I hear it's a classic. Maybe I'll watch it tonight👍

I have seen the movie and actually went to the forest where she was staying.[/URL] The movie had some good parts in it but it was kind of too dark for me and I didn't really liked the ending.
Sticking to the novel might be better, but that's something you should decide for yourself
Thank you for the reply. I actually went and bought the movie because of your comment. I think it is kinda dark as well.. And when I was reading the book, I thought it was about hope and friendship. The movie was a tad bit different, it focussed on the darker parts of the book. Still I am happy to have seen the movie.

I'm in love with Japanese Horrors, so practically any horror movie I see is my favourite. XD

The Chakushin Ari series is brilliant, as is the Ju-On series and Ringu series. My favourite of the Ringu series is Ring-O: Birthday. Namely because Yukie Nakama is beautiful and really does the character of Sadako justice. I love the books by Koji Suzuki too.
Hellevator is also a good movie. Bizarre as hell, but I loved it.

There's also a Zombie film I love. It's terrible, but it's called Stacy. I honestly think the only reason I love it is that my name is Stacy too. XD

I like "Brother" by Takeshi Kitano, very good movie about professional immigration :)
I like Kurosawa movies too, not all thou.

I like "Brother" by Takeshi Kitano, very good movie about professional immigration :)
I like Kurosawa movies too, not all thou.

If you (Beat) Takeshi Kitano films you might like きくじろのなつ it has a sound track by Joe Hisaishi that is wonderful to listen to, especially the song named "Summer".

I haven't seen hardly any recent Japanese films. Only older ones. My two favorite are:

The Tale of Zatoichi ツ催?窶慊ェナスs窶「ツィナ津ェ (that's the first movie, and I've seen a lot of Zatoichi movies)
Rashomon 窶披?ヲツ青カ窶禿・

Also I love Kwaidan. It's a film with four different short ghost stories. I think each short film is 30-50 minutes or so.

If you (Beat) Takeshi Kitano films you might like 窶堋ォ窶堋ュ窶堋カ窶堙ォ窶堙娯?堙遺?堙 it has a sound track by Joe Hisaishi that is wonderful to listen to, especially the song named "Summer".

I watched Kikujiro long time ago, and it great movie, thanks.

I love also Dreams" by Kurosava, especially part about foxes wedding.

[video=youtube;J6-25o2lFZc]

Probably "Pacific Battleship Yamato" (English subtitled version of Otokotachi no Yamato)

though i really love Iōjima Kara no Tegami and Ju-On: The Grudge (the Japanese version, not the American version) as well

Some people say Ju-On isnt scary, try watching it when your 10 years old like I did! :D

Hmmm maybe Iojima Kara no Tegami isnt a Japanese film, but its in Japanese so im stretching the definition of "Japanese film" to also mean "films in Japanese" i guess

I also like Tōkyō Zankoku Keisatsu (Tokyo Gore Police)

Tora! Tora! Tora! American-Japanese film

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen that many Japanese movies these days. I guess the last one that I saw was Confessions

[video=youtube;Vnws8ZymxME]

Aliens vs Ninja!!! ...no...just kidding! That's one of the most embarassing movies I've ever attempted to watch. =/

But I think that Moon Child with Gackt and Hyde is the one I liked most. :)

Manatsu no Orion (about a submarine commander during WW2)
If you want anime/Gibli - Nausicaテ、 of the valley of the wind - is probably one of Miyazaki Hayao's best movies.

Back
Top Bottom