What's new

Do You Do It Without Protection????

I have norton running on my machine at home with Zonealarm firewall... i haven't had any problems with those. I've also got a adsl modem/router for my broadband that has hardware firewall. When I managed to get a virus of one of my friends cd's that norton couldn't get, getting the most up to date Stinger got rid of it. If your virus protection let through something and cant get rid of it a free dose of Stinger anti-virus generally gets it.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Porl''

If you have a HIGH-end pc Norton works somewhat without a hassle....but without it SUCKS the energy,memory out of your computer....I de-installed it after 3 days of agony!!!! :eek:

I have never really had an active anti-virus program. I have AVG antivirus installed because it is free, just to run if I suspect there is a virus, but I rarely run any scans. I have probably had a total of 5 viruses, and all of the were harmless. I rarely get any adware/spyware anymore since I ditched Internet Explorer and started using Mozilla Firefox . I think the main thing is to be carefull what pages you visit, and most importantly, what you download.

At work, I must say, that is a different story. I am a Network Technician at a public school system, and we have been hit by every big virus that has come out. I think the worst were blaster, and sasser. We were properly firewalled, but the problem is when a teacher has an infected laptop and put's it on the network. Patch management on 5000+ machines is no easy task, so you can only imagine the mess it made.

I havent' been infected with one of those popular virii and I'm online almos 24/7. I have cable/adsl. I often tell my friends to stop using Outlook. I wonder how many people here use mail readers.

I think Outlook is okay. Outlook Express is okay too, but let safe. Of course, the problem with Outlook/Ex is that it has Internet Explorer integrated in it (and the rest of Windows). Watch out for Internet Explorer these days. I suggest using another browser now (*cough* Firefox), whether is permanently or temporarily.

I'm using a router-PC and a firewall under the Linux Pc ^^'
In addition I have norton because you never know :p
Results: 3 spywares found via addaware and 0 viruses :D
And My pc's running 24/7 for about 3 months ^^

Keiichi said:
I suggest using another browser now (*cough* Firefox), whether is permanently or temporarily.

Actually, I started testing it since Cross Platform posted it. It's good so far. I sometimes have trouble getting on friendster with it...but then again so do other browsers. Do you have any connection with Firefox?

NOD32 = Amazing AV. It uses very little resources and owns Norton, McAfee, etc. on updating. I heard Kapersky was very good also but I haven't had the need to try it since I went with NOD32 first. Alot of "AV-heads" argue between which is the best, which I think is good because these guys bust the AV makers asses when they find something that gets through.

As for a browser, you really can't go wrong with Mozilla, Firefox, Opera, or any of the browsers that really focus on destroy pop-ups. If you absolutely have to use IE (your company uses it, you really like it..) disable the Java Virtual Machine in it and get SUN's.

Ad-Aware = Lovely. All you need.

As far as firewalls go, I don't know much, but I'll get some info on some of the more popular ones.

-Jeff

It supports Yahoo Mail just fine for me. What doesn't work for you? Oh, and are you using Yahoo Japan.

Using Mozilla for years now & no problems with Yahoo or Amazon.
Only with the recent release 1.7 small trouble with the NYT newsletter & Hotmail: always getting "Document contains no data."

At home I use Mozilla as my main OS, Norton as my antivirus and Ad-Aware to clean up spyware crap. Works efficently as a shield, though my poor computer slows to a crawl.

If you don't use any antivirus programs, your computer will run faster no matter how high end it is. They're always active and searching once installed. Your call.

I used to use ZoneAlarm but then a warning poped up every 5 mins, and when my friends came to my place they kept complaining about it. Since I couldn't turn a death ear to the nagging I de-activated the program. After one week, my computer got "infected" and I had to bring it to Best Buy for a fix. Now I am using Norton and Ad-Aware.

Absolutely not. Nat router /w firewall, only needed ports forwarded, software firewalls on windows computers, Avast! Home or NAV 2004 on windows boxes, and standard anti-this and anti that stuff :D

I suppose it depends where you go and what you do online...

...I download alot of stuff, and--being a dirty old man--well, you get the idea. As a result, I run into all kinds of exotic net flora and fauna that you guys probably never see--I lost three systems in a row because I was getting some kind of virus that the Norton tech guys hadn't caught onto yet. I switched to McAffe and that helped, but I still have to reboot and run Spybot S&D and Ad Aware in safe mode anywhere from every few days to every few hours, depending on what's out there that week.

Of course it doesn't help that I have Windows XP and a broadband cable connection that's always on, but somehow I've managed to avoid any actual crashes...

...oh wait, I did get the blue screen of death a couple times from this anime I downloaded--but that was because the fansubber screwed up on the coding for the subtitles and it put my videocard in a coma when it tried to process the informaion. :D

I used to have norton... but it sucked. After I ran an online virus scan from HouseCall – Free Online Security Scan , it showed I had 25 viruses (different ones!) that norton didn't even pick up (they were all trojans).

I now don't have a virus scan prog, and I just use housecall periodically. I also use zonealarm now. I recently got that damn worm_antinny virus from winny (the one that makes dupes of itself really fast), and housecall cleaned 492 viruses (all duplicates of the original, including the original). >.>

I also use spybot and adaware sometimes. Use both because one prog picks up some stuff the other one misses, and vice-versa.

I used Norton Internet Security for awhile but the subscription ended and well I'm glad. Norton sucks.

Back
Top Bottom