What's new

Do "REAL" men cry ??

Sometimes, I think the best way to release pressure is to cry. Not little sniffles, but all-out, shameless wailing grief can be beneficial.

Btw, Frank, I'm very sorry about what you're going through. The same thing goes for DutchB. I offer you both my condolances.

I feel for you Frank and Dutch as I know what you are going through.

I was taught the same thing Frank and when I was younger I would never to show any tears to anyone. Sometimes I would tear up when alone or watching a sad movie and would always force myself not to let the tears out. It was in 1981 when my adopted Japanese grandfather, Mr. Suzuki, died in a fire one night that I first cried and let it all out. He was the first person whom was very close to me that had died.

When I first heard the news I didn't cry because of my upbringing, but I was very sad. I wanted to cry, but my upbringing haunted me in that "a real man" just doesn't cry. So I held it in. It was that evening when my girlfriend, my present wife, was with me that I couldn't hold it in. I tried to hold back my tears and she consoled me by holding me in her arms and telling me it was ok to cry. The flood gates opened and I really wailed. I felt really good afterwards. I needed it and did it for a few more days afterwards.

Today, I am not afraid to let my feelings be known, whether alone or in front of other people and have cried on numerous occasions when I was overcome with emotion, the most recent being when my younger brother died in my arms from pancreatic cancer a year and a half ago.

So yes, real men do cry and they should. The old adage that they shouldn't and that it is a sign of weakness is bad advice I think. Not only is it healthy for the body and mind, it shows that you have feelings. I have more respect for a man who can cry and let his emotions be shown than one who, out of pride, won't. So let it out Frank you'll feel much better. Good luck.

First off, lots of strength to Frank and Dutch Baka. I am one of the few people that has never had someone close to me die yet, so I do not know how it feels, although I can imagine it must be hard.

The last time I cried really bad, I ended up laughing. ツ(ツ湘篠) I was really really sad because of a sudden end of a relationship, I felt so sad that my body started to hurt; I had weird sensations in my arm, kinda ticklish, but it hurt also. Ah well, in any case, at one moment of clarity I found it so amusing that human beings are so controlled by their emotions I couldn't stop laughing, with tears still rolling down my face.

It was an interesting experience and since then I look at life in a brighter perspective. I do think it is very ok for men to cry, as they are human beings just as women are. I find it pretty relieving to cry to be honest, and I love watching J-drama's, just to cry. ツ(ツ湘篠)

When I watch J-dorama I often feel an urge to cry. Lately I've been watching Byaku Yakou, and the situation of those kids is so rotten it makes you want to cry. It's amazing how people can make series/films that make you so emotional. Also the music adds a lot to it !

To be honest? The last time I really cried was when I was 12 years old. I had been at my cousins house for the weekend. My mother had been sick in the hospital and I had gone to stay with their family for a few days. When I returned, there were like 20 cars at my home and everyone was crying. That was when they told me that she had passed away. (heart attack) I cried for several hours. After that day, I figured that it could never be worse than that. Since then I haven't cried.

I think, in American society in particular, men aren't really encouraged to show their emotions, unless it's anger. Not allowing men to cry is like saying don't be human. Some researchers have studied that this could be the reason why in some situations young men lash out. :?

Back
Top Bottom