What's new

COVID-19 Coronavirus: global situation

I do post this on other forums, so I'll leave it as such.

Update: April 30, 2020 Thursday Tokyo time: 8:00 pm

I'd like to start off with a little MIM's Street Talk. This may take place worldwide so if this stuff does happen, we'll have to make a life's adjustment to it.

1. I don't know about schools around the world but it may seem possible that will take a new turn on education at the 5th grade level. Why, classes will be structured in 3 ways, one is the local economy (education focus locally) (nothing new here, but it won't start at the junior college level. The second way of education will be nurturing the talent of the student , again at the 5th grade level. The 3 level will be a "voluntary forced education" to assure employment in ones aptitude.

2. Life WILL NOT go back to what it once was. ( I hope you all understand that ) This will vary from country to country.

3. It will be nearly impossible to leave the country you are now in unless you are politically connected/ military connected.

4. For the States, entry to another State will have to be approved. ( Transportation hubs will have special privileges )

5. Its best if possible to leave any major city. As I mentioned before, major cities will become open door prisons and that is a fact. It won't be the type that you see with bars though. Expect loss of freedom and strict curfew this coming summer in the States.

The above is my Street Talk and NOT predictions.

Update:

I mention earlier on one of my post that I'd try to make my updates a bit more international and perhaps more on "what's happening in your front yard" type of post. The reason is because: Chinese updates are rare and Japanese updates are beginning not to be of much of interest these days to what is happening to the outside world. Actually, the events in Japan (somewhat untruthful as far as reporting cases and deaths of the virus ) still hold a lot of weight. I say that because ,well, for those that follow the financial post, I posted about investing in UBE KOSAN in Ube, Yamaguchi Pref a while back. That was another one of MIM's Street Talk that panned out. So for you that buy stocks, check them out. I'll post the link here .

www3.nhk.or.jp...

1. 1732 deaths have been reported in Mexico of the virus

2. Be careful of this one: ROME — The Italian government has decreed that the data provided through an app to facilitate tracing of persons who come in close contact with someone positive for COVID-19 will be completely anonymous and that all data will be destroyed by year's end.

3. Well, this seems like a natural occurrence : Italy's crime rate slumped 66.6% in March, thanks to a government lockdown introduced to halt the coronavirus, the interior ministry said on Wednesday.

4. Japan's Prime Minister Abe Shinzo has told ruling Liberal Democratic Party officials that he plans to extend the declaration of a state of emergency that is due to end on May 6.
For the above, if you think your state of emergency is just going to end soon, well, that just isn't going to happen.

5. For me this isn't good: The dollar fell to around ¥106.50 in Tokyo trading on Thursday.

6. The government will soon approve the anti-viral drug Remdesivir for treatment of coronavirus patients, Japan's first such decision amid the pandemic, according to Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

7. Major veterans organizations are calling on VA to explain under what circumstances VA doctors initiate discussion of hydroxychloroquine with veterans as a treatment option after an analysis of VA hospital data was published last week showing hundreds of veterans who took the drug saw no benefit for COVID-19.

8. I was wondering about this one: . More than 518 employees have tested positive for the virus as of April 15, in addition to 126 non-employees who have become infected after coming into contact with a Smithfield employee, according to the South Dakota Department of Health

9. Well, at least Trump offered a helping hand: Gleaming new tent hospitals sit empty on two suburban New York college campuses, never having treated a single coronavirus patient. Convention centers that were turned into temporary hospitals in other cities went mostly unused. And a Navy hospital ship that offered help in Manhattan is soon to depart.

10. This is the corona virus :

deterioration of the respiratory tract (upper and lower),
brain dysfunctions,
heart failure,
myocarditis,
vascular occlusion
blood clotting disorders
digestive problems
encephalitis,
kidney dysfunction,
deterioration of the liver
Guillain-Barré syndrome (a rare disorder in which the immune system of the body attacks nerves)
paralysis...

11. This is a highly contagious infection that has a relatively low mortality rate, but nation-wise, this number of 0.3% may look horrendous. The fire of the disease started burning very strongly in the countries that came late with restrictive measures. In the UK, they decided that the disease will kill those who should die, while those who should live - those people will get through it. They disregarded the fact that there were many elderly citizens with weakened health in the country," the academician said. I think there is a lot of truth to this. I really see this in Japan also. Sad, but true.

12. I've said this in my Street Talk: people will not be able to return to their habitual lifestyle after the pandemic.

13. Following the April 7 Wisconsin Democratic Primary, 52 people who worked or voted in the primary have tested positive for the coronavirus, the Associated Press reported Wednesday.

Japan update: 4-30-2020 Thursday

This is a breakdown of people who have been confirmed infected in Japan.
Tokyo 4415 people ( unlikely to be truthful )
Osaka prefecture 1625 people
Kanagawa prefecture 1006 people
Saitama prefecture 848 people
Chiba prefecture 830 people
Hokkaido 767 people Hyogo prefecture 646 people
Fukuoka prefecture 640 people ( this is something I knew would happen with the international airport there and the cherry blossom viewing )
Aichi prefecture 486 people
Kyoto prefecture 320 people
Ishikawa prefecture 251 people
Toyama prefecture 197 people
Ibaraki prefecture 163 people
Hiroshima prefecture 155 people
Gifu prefecture 149 people
Gunma prefecture 146 people
Okinawa prefecture 142 People (this is bad )
Fukui prefecture 122 people
Shiga prefecture 95 people
Miyagi prefecture 88 people
Nara prefecture 83 people
Niigata prefecture 75 people
Kochi prefecture 74 people
Fukushima prefecture 72 people
Shizuoka prefecture 72 people
Yamagata prefecture has 68 people
Nagano prefecture has 66 people
Oita prefecture has 60 people
Wakayama prefecture has 60 people
Tochigi prefecture has 55 people
Yamanashi prefecture has 53 people
Ehime prefecture has 47 people
Kumamoto prefecture has 47 people
Mie prefecture 45 people
Saga prefecture 41 people
Yamaguchi prefecture 32 people
Kagawa prefecture 28 people
Aomori prefecture 26 people
Shimane prefecture has 23 people
Okayama prefecture has 23 people
Nagasaki prefecture has 17 people
Miyazaki prefecture has 17 people
Akita prefecture has 16 people
Kagoshima prefecture has 10 people
Tokushima prefecture has 5 people
Tottori prefecture has 3 people.

According to the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, by the 30th, the number of seriously ill persons
was 308 infected in Japan
The cases are growing .

Thanks for reading my updates, JREF folks.

Don't talk to my parents back in Holland that often , maybe twice a month and just exchanging messages a bit. Talked to my mom about situation in Holland and here, was about to say bye when she said... Btw your dad HAD Corona....

Ok......

I guess she tried not to let me worry too much but still... His health condition these past years.. he stays in a care center as he can't take care of himself anymore. 13 people in his building died...

Btw... He had Corona... Really not sure how I should feel although I'm happy he is alright now.

Thanks for sharing that. The situation in Europe is a worry and I'm in much more contact with my parents in the UK (70s, good health) than before. If they get sick, I can probably get to them but would be unlikely to be allowed to re-enter Japan, making me have to choose between my two families.

Last edited:
I'm happy your dad got the sickness but could defeat it. He had a fight with the virus that was not easy,

You told, 13 people died in his building, so he was a lucky daddy who could overcome the disease.

The virus is severe and doesn't distinguish between people and probably infects everybody who meets it.

Hi, Lothor

I hope your parents remain safe against the virus.

I recommend you to stay in Japan and don't travel to UK, because going out from Japan is your choice but going back to Japan is the option of the Japan in charges. They may send you back to UK for an unknown period of time that may takes long about one year!
So then not only you will be deprived going back to Japan, but also there is a probability that you lost your job forever, because Japanese work orderly and can't tolerate the employee who has left his work for a long time.

7. Major veterans organizations are calling on VA to explain under what circumstances VA doctors initiate discussion of hydroxychloroquine with veterans as a treatment option after an analysis of VA hospital data was published last week showing hundreds of veterans who took the drug saw no benefit for COVID-19.
This study was conducted on people, I believe 65 and older, with an average of 3 underlying conditions.

It's not the best to reference.

As I'm an inventor I sometimes think to find a solution for a technical problem. I have an instruction for making a homemade medical mask that can work like N55 or 99 in addition to something that is added to it to work better than the industrial ones.

I offered it in an Iranian forum freely but I don't know how many of the users got it serious and effective and made the mask.

I am interested to offer it here but since my pockets and wallet are like the dry deserts empty of plants and in the other hand, Japanese are wealthy enough to pay the right of a rightful inventor, that is 10 Yen (this price is cheaper than buying a customary masks) it is not free here. Excuse me, I have to think like a businessman in this situation, because you don't know how annoying is the vacant pockets! I wrote a poem in this case a few years ago:

O money, please give up my mind
If you are right,
stop inspiring this imagination to me and came to me truly
If you need a hotel,
all my pockets are vacant
come and inhabit all of them!

LOL

In every period of time the situation of some lands get worse against Covid-19 virus. As I heard in the news, today is the England's turn. The situation of England is emergency and the number of patients is increasing, after the prim minster of the country got the sickness and got better in the next weeks, after hospitalization and necessary treatments.

I don't know how many British people were infected and how many lost their soul but just heard, UK has the worst condition among the European lands versus Covid-19. Probably, UK now has the same emergency condition that Italy had in the early months. So I not only wish the population remain safe against the virus, but also think traveling to the area at this time, with this situation is not a good decision.

I simulate this ominous virus to a tornado that changes its path to every direction that is not foreseeable. Sadly, sometimes some people themselves are faulty that don't get the danger of the disease serious and go out from their homes daringly for walking and so on. Before the news, I saw some British people are walking in the parks and other places carefree and joyfully. It is not a good manner of caution against this virus that can be deathly for some of the infected patients across the world.

Human is experiencing a great historical event that the old people experienced against the old lethal sicknesses. I hope this virus reaches its final period of its activity and goes back to its freezing state.

In every period of time the situation of some lands get worse against Covid-19 virus. As I heard in the news, today is the England's turn. The situation of England is emergency and the number of patients is increasing, after the prim minster of the country got the sickness and got better in the next weeks, after hospitalization and necessary treatments.

I haven't heard much about Iran lately even though it was one of the hardest hit at first. How is it now?

I can't claim the Corona virus has left us here but it has been controlled acceptably. The markets, shops, offices and some other necessary places, except the educational centers are being open one after another gradually, nonetheless the Iranian medical organizations warn people to be careful about another wave of the disease and recommend us to stay at home as much as possible, and get not out from home except for some necessary work or purchases. They alert people not to go to the central populated places of the cities and observe the hygiene issues. (the news are very much and detailed but I try to tell in summary)

We are told to use medical mask and proper gloves and also wash our hands with soap and use disinfectant liquids in some public places such as metro, markets and so on. The government has prepared enough medical facilities and hospitals, and as well as many Iranian agents disinfect the public places nonstop. Previously we had shortage of mask and disinfectant substances, but now those are found in every drugstore and even safe shops.

The number of hospital beds and also medical cares is so much better than the beginning time of appearance of the virus in Iran, because at the time the organizations and also people were not informed about the virus and there was not an acceptable readiness to make the environments and people secure.

The government banned unnecessary traveling between provinces and cities and I think this limitation still exist. Some temporary hospitals were built for the patients ( who were treated) in the countryside of the cities, to stay under care and isolation for a necessary period of time that doctors specified.

Some safe restaurants and fast food shops are open hereafter (excuse me, I lied. all restaurants and fast food shops are open) but people are not allowed to have food in the places. They can buy food from the shops, take them to their home and have.

I myself bought recently a few hamburger and sandwiches from some of the fast foods shops, because those are my favorite meals but had to eat them in my car beside the street or parks.

The government gives every Iranian 100 dollar as a long time "Interest-free loan" immediately ( if they request). And the important thing is that, the treatment of Corona disease and all its cost, drugs are free in Iran even for the non Iranian people. The hospitals and other medical centers don't take any money of the patients.

The Iranian judiciary has impart this order to the landlords of the rental houses, apartments and shops to give an appropriate deadline to their tenants, in the Corona virus time.

The shoppers not only use mask and glove but also has installed a transparent layer between themselves and clients as a curtain or shield for isolation and use disinfectant substances in their shops and as well as give the customers free glove for touching stuffs.

I entered a central market. There was a guard in the entrance door. He asked me to hold my hand up, then he sprayed the disinfectant liquid on my hands. I became happy and rubbed my hands on my face and lips to protect me better. The guard laughed and said to me, did you rubbed the liquid on your face?! Don't worry, all the market has been disinfected beforehand, good luck!

However, the story is long, but if I want to give you a correct imagination, I can say, although Covid-19 has not left Iranians wholly but the policies of the Iranian government and organizations for controlling the disease progression is a good pattern for the world. The virus still is active here but with less corps. Somebodies may are infected by the virus but the number of the patients is very less in compare with the early months. The number of the Iranians who lost their soul from beginning of the sickness up to now is about 6000 persons, while the number of the victims in Europe and America has reached 50000 and 60000 persons (I don't talk based on nationalism but want to describe the situation of Iran against the virus).

I can say, the condition of Iran is similar to China that could control the disease notably, with this difference that China has a very great population and regarding to the difference of populations the number of those who died in Iran because of the sickness is very lesser than China.

Last edited:
Hi Mansoor,
Thanks for the interesting update. I read this morning that the number of new cases in Iran was increasing again. Hope you are all able to keep things under control.

Hi Mansoor,
Thanks for the interesting update. I read this morning that the number of new cases in Iran was increasing again. Hope you are all able to keep things under control.

Excuse me, last night I was going to reply but sadly fell asleep unwanted in front of my computer, while it was on till morning (my computer is on the floor and I lie down on the carpet and work with).

The situation is not so worse that you read in the outside news agencies webs. Usually there is a policy in the western medias to show Iran has a bad condition against the virus, Iranians are in trouble and the government pay no attention to people or is unable to manage the society in this particular period of time, not only about Corona virus crisis but also about other political subjects during 42 years of the Iranian Islamic republic lifetime.

They mix the true and false news together to be more believable, whether for Iranians or other peoples that we consider them among ourselves.

However, the condition in Iran is the same that was before and the rate of infection has remained on an approximate fixed counter line with a little change ( a little more or less).

Of course controlling Corona virus dependent on people themselves how they behave or react in the emergency situation. The bold and inattentive people who don't get the virus serious will be in the risk of infection.

As I live in Iran, I see the majority of people understand the danger, observe hygiene warns, stay at home often, use mask, glove, disinfectant things and try not to expose themselves to the virus. Nevertheless there is a probability that somebodies are infected by chance, whether or not. But as I told before, conditions is not so worse in Iran as you read in the outside news.

:)

Last edited:
Okinawa had our 6th death today. However, they also released easing the restrictions here on the 14th to allow drinking up until I think 10 PM instead of 7 or 8 PM.

I don't know as if that's a good idea right now... But, we'll just have to see.

Wow... Talking about masks...
People being asked to wear them back in the 1918 flu pandemic.

5eb4811648d92c1b0443bd85.jpeg

As the disease time took long and I often am at home, I most often forget Covid-19 adventure! I work with my computer and do prayer often,as I did before the corona virus epidemic. Basically, during recent years I got out from home seldom, except for doing some necessary works, so staying at home is not annoying for me anymore.

Last edited:
I am the same Mansoor , LOL. I call myself a hermit. I would only leave my house once a week to put gas in my car. I'm very happy to stay home on my computer. Being in quarantine is not a problem.

What is the news of Covid-19 condition in Japan? Is there the state orders for isolation and social distance? Do Japanese people observe the hygiene and medical alerts to stay at home? Which area of Japan has a red position versus the sickness? What about the markets and drugstores to provide enough food and hygiene stuff for citizens?

I saw in the BBC news, the shelves of food and things are empty in the European markets and people gather in back of some markets with closed doors to enter and buy their required things.

The BBC TV showed three European angry black women were quarreling to grasp the last Kleenex roll package in one the empty shelves. One of them was huger and more powerful than her two competitors and could drive them back finally and achieve the package forcefully.

The agency news, BBC also showed a line of people in America were waiting to receive food, and in another place a line of people were waiting to buy gun for self-protection!

These shows marketing hasn't a good situation there and people are in trouble. I think the condition will get worse in the next and people should be ready to encounter an economic tsunami wave. I think a part of the problems is because the bad and improper policies of the politicians who don't think to the health, safety and welfare of mass of people anymore.

People are good and faultless and the governments should serve them as the best.

Last edited:
I think from what I'm seeing on ABC now , too many will become sick and home bound sometime in June. From what I can tell, I'd say a large percent have no clue on how dangerous this airborne virus is without a wearing a mask these days.
Seems to me now , almost all international travel has come to a halt. Although I see the planes scheduling, maybe most of it is cargo.

I agree with putting a limitation on international flights. This can interrupt transportation of the virus from a land to another. Sadly, the virus is hazardous for life of some people and it should not be considered as an ordinary sickness.
The indoor travels between states and cities should be restricted in the countries as well and people should take their houses as a shelter against this virus. These can be helpful to reduce the number of the infected persons and the casualties.

Governments should specify a notable budget to compensate the shortages in living of people, who left or lost their jobs, especially the people with little incomes. What have to do a hungry family? If the disease doesn't kill them, the hunger will take them down. Now, the problem is twin for people, the fatal Corona sickness and the breathtaking tight financial spot.

In addition to the hygiene stuffs, a great group of people need bread and food, in this emergency situation that the public economy wheel has stopped working notably.

An Italian woman who were the owner of a shop said to a reporter unsatisfied and shouting, "the government orders use to observe the hygiene rules. What we can do when the mask and glove are found nowhere and the government doesn't provide them for us?"

She was right. she didn't want to offer the stuffs to the clients without using a mask and glove but the problem was that she couldn't find the necessary hygiene things anywhere.

Mansoor - the worst seems to be over in Japan and the worst wasn't particularly bad - my predictions were way too pessimistic. There are almost no shortages and a handful of new cases (10 today) in Tokyo in recent days. Why did Japan get off so lightly? Some people put it down to good hygiene, others to a sensible and cautious population and others to Japan's aggressive vaccination against BCG or some combination of the three.

Dear Lothor

Despite you informed, Japan has a good condition against this persistent virus (and I hope this immune continue so) but if we go back to the recent history of Covid-19, we will find out this disease behaves like a mobile tornado that moves to every side madly and destroy an area unpredictably. Every few months or weeks it targets a country that was in a safe condition earlier. So based on the history and the behavior I think this virus has not been spread out yet in Japan explosively and comprehensively. So I warn Japaneses and also other nationals who live in Japan ( among Iranian inhabitants) to be ready for coming the biological tornado!

I hope it doesn't happen but usually my scientific estimates doesn't go wrong.

Mansoor - what you said certainly applies to some countries, Russia in particular, but I'm optimistic about Japan. With heightened public alertness and a government that now has a testing system in place, I think Japan will now go the way of South Korea and China with occasional clusters that are aggressively tackled. I could be completely wrong again though!

So Japan is facing a flour shortage. I noticed that the other day. But I bought 3 bags and yeast before so I'm good to make bread and pizza.
I bought 12kg of 'strong' flour from a specialist ingredients shop the other day, so I suppose I could become a flour baron! (I make bread most days with one of those machines if you're wondering why. ) The owner told me that the shortage of flour is caused by distribution problems brought on by demand rather than a shortage of flour. I imagine the shortage will go the way of the toilet paper and mask shortages.

Back
Top Bottom