What's new

買おうとしなかった / いかなかった / すきにすかさず / 子供

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. 「ばあちゃんが行きたくなかったんだ。切符を買おうとしなかったし。」

I can understand the general meaning of this easily enough, but I am unsure of the exact intent of 買おうとしなかった. What would be the closest way to put it in English?

2. ディーンとシェイマスがコンパートメントのドアをきちんと閉めていかなかったので、こちらの会話が筒抜けだったらしい。

I find myself unsure of the purpose of いかなかった here. The meaning seems to be simply that they didn't shut the door fully. What extra is いかなかった adding? Is it possibly adding to the sense of something not being done successfully or properly?

3. 彼がうろたえてるすきにすかさず彼女は逃げた。

What is すきにすかさず? I suppose すき・に・すかさず, but I cannot work out the meaning from the components.

4. 子供は反抗的になる傾向がある。

Without any further context, is it possible to tell whether this is describing children in general or one particular child?

1)
She wasn't going to buy the ticket (she didn't have intention to buy the ticket therefore didn't try to do).

2)
It seems to mean "to go" to me.
They left there without shutting the door fully.

3)
That's 彼がうろたえてるすきに、すかさず彼女は逃げた; "While he was upset(lit. Catching a chance of his being upset), she ran away promptly".

This would be needless to say, すき means "chance/opportunity" here.
透きを英語で訳す - goo辞書 英和和英

4)
That's "children in general". The expressions such like うちの子, あの子 or この子, not just 子供, are used for the latter case.

Thank you.

2) I had been assuming that Dean and Seamus were still present in the room, but, looking again, the interpretation that they have already left seems possible, in which case your explanation would be fine.

3) Which すかさず is this?

By the way, I think another point of difficulty with (2) is that the negative seems to be attached to the wrong verb. 閉めていかなかった seems to mean that they shut the door but didn't go, whereas actually the meaning is, I gather, that they did go but didn't shut the door (properly) when they went. I have a suspicion that this point may have come up before, but could you remind me why it is 閉めていかなかった and not something like 閉めなくていった?

Back
Top Bottom