What's new

ばかり、だけ and しか constructions

ArthurK

後輩
24 Jul 2013
Hey! I'm a bit confused about the uses of ばかり、だけ and しか.

Can someone please explain to me the difference between ハンバーガーしか食べていません, ハンバーガーばかり食べています and ハンバーガーだけ食べています? Whether there is or there isn't a significant difference between these phrases, what would be the (subtle? explicit?) nuances in using these three constructions?

Thanks!

P.S. This is not relevant to this question, but can someone also explain to me in your own words how to use the わけ/というわけ grammar?

Last edited:
P.S. This is not relevant to this question, but can someone also explain to me in your own words how to use the わけ/というわけ grammar?

わけ/というわけ

わけ means , in a rough way, a reasoning, a "sense". Its uses are linked to situations where you're talking about the "meaning" of something, sometimes similar to 理由。 Be aware though, that its uses can get a little more complex, so I recommend visiting the link below.

わけ【訳】の英語・英訳 - 和英辞書 - goo辞書

For example:
わけの分からない言葉。
Literally, "a word whose meaning can't be understood" "gibberish"

彼が離婚したのは「もちろん」わけがあったのです
"he surely(obviously) had a reason for the divorce"

Following this , we can add という and again "roughly" consider it the same as the english expression "said xxx" (as in " said thing" i.e)

金で何でも買えるというわけではない
Money can't buy everything -> there is no (such) a reasoning as (said) "money can buy anything"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom