What's new

What is the meaning of だってばよ?

Hard to say w/ a full sentence, but だってば is used to show expression, and often used after repeating something, someone's name, etc. As you likely know, よ is also simply used to show expression. Not quite sure what the ? is in there for, hence, it would be good to post the whole sentence.

If this is about Naruto, you may be interested in this thread....the phrase itself doesn't have any real meaning without anything attached to it -- it's simply meant to be taken as a tougher or more intimidating speechism than without the 'yo'. :p

Naruto - "datte bayo" | Japan Forum

seasurfer said:
May anyone tell me what is the meaning of だってばよ? Thanks in advance.
Basically it means "hey listen to me, I'm saying that...XXX" (to be emphatic when you think someone is ignoring you). Not polite of course.

Oh I forgot to say the "non-colloquial" way of saying it is "da to ieba yo" I am pretty sure. ieba is a conditional form of "iu" : to say.
XXX + da + to + ieba + yo
XXX + copula + quote indicator + "if say" + emphasizer
"If I say that it is XXX [then you should listen to me]"

The -ba form isn't really a standard "if" in English, in this case. "Yareba dekiru ja nai" means "See, you can do it if you try" and in that case it is a standard "if", but in "datteba yo" it's more a kind of prompting.

Back
Top Bottom