What's new

ことで=because?

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
8 Dec 2019
大山:これが、上海ノートホテルのイベントホールか。さすが上海一の高級ホテルだけあって、すばらしい会場ですね。
野田:ええ。それにこのホテルは、環境問題に熱心に取り組んでいることで有名なんです。省エネの取り組みが評価されて、政府から表彰されているんですよ。

Hi. Does the ことで in red mean "because"? If so, what's the function of も in green here since we already have は in this sentence?
Thank you.

The nuance here isn't really "because" but rather "is famous for X" (or "is famous for the fact that they X"). The particle も has the same "even/also" nuance that it usually carries, i.e. it's also famous for how environmentally friendly it was designed to be (in addition to being 上海一の高級ホテル, as mentioned in the previous sentence.)

In addition to bentenmusume-san's explanation, you shouldn't think that ことで is a set expression. で is a particle to indicate cause/reason (e.g. 事故で電車が遅れた, 風邪で学校を休んだ), and こと is a nominalizer. で is attached only to a noun, and 取り組んでいる is a verb, so it's needed to be nominalized.
e.g.
このホテルは、環境問題に熱心に取り組んでいることでも有名だ = このホテルは、環境問題への熱心な取り組みでも有名だ
このホテルは、上海一高級なことでも有名だ = このホテルは、上海一の高級さでも有名だ
この町は空気がきれいなことで有名だ = この町は空気のきれいさで有名だ

Thank you both.
So must this ことで be followed by 有名 ("be famous for" seems to be a set phrase in English)? Can it be followed by other kind of words or clauses?

As I wrote in my previous post, this で is a particle to indicate the cause/reason, and こと is used there just because the preceding word "取り組んでいる" is a verb, so ことで is used in the similar situations.
e.g.
事故が起きたことで電車が遅れた。
この機械は値段が安いことで重宝されている。(=値段の安さで重宝されている)
彼は性格が悪いことで敬遠されている。(=性格の悪さで敬遠されている)

Back
Top Bottom