What's new

Zatoichi, Kitano-san's new movie.

release date!!!

Hi!!! I'm Japanese and I really like his films but I haven't seen
Zatoichi yet cause I'm living in Ireland now...
However I saw the advertisement of the film in the cinema
and it says it's "coming soon"!!!!
I don't know the exact date but I suppose it's coming to England and Ireland in March!!! can't wait to see it!!

I've seen it at the cinema a few weeks back with some friends and I enjoyed it very much. It was that Kitano's dark humor but the ending was really surreal. Even to this day I don't know if I liked or hated that ending. It was at best, very... puzzling.... and that music hall scene... what?!?!?! I think that ending was Kitano's way of messing with the audience.

Overall, I liked it, and anyone who love's samurai movies, with lots of blood and gore, will love this one. The plus, is the dark humour all over the movie.

Death is too good for you

The other day I bought the Zatoichi DVD that came with a special "making" DVD, including interviews with Kitano and others. Before watching it, I was a little bit worried that maybe I had praised it too much the last time I wrote here, what with the "smoothness," "rhythmic flow," "sensation," etc. :p But after watching it, which has English subtitles, my praise for the film remains unchanged. 👍 It's a great entertainment movie, and deserves the same kind of hype that the Last Samurai received.

The tap dance scene in the finale might be puzzling or seem unnecessary to some, but I liked it very much. The usual samurai film typically ends with the main character walking down the country path by himself, with the peasants working the field or may be celebrating an yearly festival, as Kitano himself says in the interview. He took it, twisted it to his own liking, and there he presents a traditional ending in a hilarious package. 🍜

(K.K., you are special to me! 😌

Back
Top Bottom