What's new

Your view on western games in Japan? yoge kusoge

Pirrip

Drawer of things
26 Jul 2014
For a long time(from the time when western console games were truly shite compared to japanese console games), Japan has had a saying about western-made games: yoge kusoge. It literally means that western games are ****. And even though the west has made a lot of fantastic games, many(dare I say most) Japanese players would still agree with this sentiment. I've met a Japanese person that's played Minecraft and a Japanese person who's played COD. But I think those examples are few and far between.
For me personally, most of the games I like are made by Japanese teams. However, I'm a fan of games like Dead Space and Bioshock as well as maybe a couple other more recent western made games.
I would say that the phrase yoge kusoge used to hold more if you only played console games in the 80's and 90's. But I think if you played PC games, you'd find that western made games made up a pretty good library.

But anyway I wanted to ask what everyone's view on the saying "yoge kusoge" was.

Japanese have a thing for RPGs and recently Japanese studios have been dabbling in more western-style RPGs ala Demon Souls, Dark Souls 1&2, and Dragons Dogma.

Plus lets not forget when Skyrim became and still is the only western game to get 40/40 from Famitsu. The Elder Scrolls games are some of the only western games that are received well by the Japanese.

I've met tons of Japanese who play COD and Minecraft. I don't think that reputation holds true among younger gamers. GTA is also pretty popular.

GTA stands for Grand Theft Auto.

It's a video game series about street and criminal life in the U.S. particularly the west coast. It's open-world too.

Back
Top Bottom