What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Your view on western games in Japan? yoge kusoge

Pirrip

Drawer of things
Reaction score
For a long time(from the time when western console games were truly shite compared to japanese console games), Japan has had a saying about western-made games: yoge kusoge. It literally means that western games are ****. And even though the west has made a lot of fantastic games, many(dare I say most) Japanese players would still agree with this sentiment. I've met a Japanese person that's played Minecraft and a Japanese person who's played COD. But I think those examples are few and far between.
For me personally, most of the games I like are made by Japanese teams. However, I'm a fan of games like Dead Space and Bioshock as well as maybe a couple other more recent western made games.
I would say that the phrase yoge kusoge used to hold more if you only played console games in the 80's and 90's. But I think if you played PC games, you'd find that western made games made up a pretty good library.

But anyway I wanted to ask what everyone's view on the saying "yoge kusoge" was.

Swag

後輩
Reaction score
Japanese have a thing for RPGs and recently Japanese studios have been dabbling in more western-style RPGs ala Demon Souls, Dark Souls 1&2, and Dragons Dogma.

Plus lets not forget when Skyrim became and still is the only western game to get 40/40 from Famitsu. The Elder Scrolls games are some of the only western games that are received well by the Japanese.

nahadef

Quietly exploding
Reaction score
I've met tons of Japanese who play COD and Minecraft. I don't think that reputation holds true among younger gamers. GTA is also pretty popular.

Mikawa Ossan

気づいたらカッパだ
Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance.

I know that COD refers to Call of Duty, right?
But what is GTA?

Swag

後輩
Reaction score
GTA stands for Grand Theft Auto.

It's a video game series about street and criminal life in the U.S. particularly the west coast. It's open-world too.

Mikawa Ossan

気づいたらカッパだ
Reaction score
Grand Theft Auto...I should have known!
Thanks for clearing that up!

Top Bottom