What's new

Why no host and hostess clubs in other countries?

26 Nov 2004
You know like how in Japan they have host clubs for girls and hostess clubs for men? It's a simple concept where you basically just drink and eat with pretty girls and guys. With something so simple how come something like this hasn't been challenged in the states? A part of me feels something like this would be a good way to get the more shy or awkward individuals out of their shy provided they're willing to spend a bit of money for it.

From what I understand of hostess bars (never been to one), shy and awkward individuals don't go to them.
If you're shy and awkward anyway, you're probably going to be doubly shy and awkward in a bar full of pretty women flirting with you!

Their target market is reasonably wealthy middle-aged businessmen who like mild titillation and a captive audience with their drinks and are prepared to pay handsomely for it. Such people are usually socially confident already.

Last edited:
In the states people pay counsellors, life coaches or analysts to listen to their problems and pretend to be their friend. In Japan they pay hostesses or (less commonly hosts). At least in Japan you get to drink during the sessions and have a vague hope for sex sometime down the line.

There are hostess clubs in the States. I thought most big US cities have them. I know there are hostess clubs in Seattle and LA, though not from personal experience. Usually they're found in or near Asian communities, China Town or Japan Town.

Hostess bars, according to what I've heard, are also popular in South Korea and Taiwan.

There was one hostess club here in Anchorage until recently, when the owner got busted for dealing meth. Now the place is just a regular bar.

At Hooters, though, the girls don't sit with you, compliment every word you say, drink with you, and rub your thigh.

Back
Top Bottom