What's new

Why is HIV infections Low in Japan?

Astroboy

先輩
5 Dec 2007
Today UK BBC says Record number of Britons have HIV
The Health Protection Agency (HPA) said an estimated 77,400 people had HIV in 2007, up from 73,000 a year before.
Record number of Britons have HIV

As far as I know, HIV will cause AIDS. Thus growing number of people being infected with HIV must be quite frightening. :(

Meanwhile, according to Japan's Ministry of Health, Total number of HIV infected people in Japan is 9,426 heads (including 2,207 foreigners ) as of the end of 2007. 404 File Not Found「URLで指定されたファイルまたはディレクトリが存在しません」|API-Net エイズ予防情報ネット
HIV is reportedly infected via injection, blood transfusion, and sex....

According to Mainichi Wai Wai news, Japan is quite sexually immoral. Plus, Japanese newspapers often report about drug-related crimes these days. So I see big contradiction between Japan's HIV and expectations.

Considering UK population is about half of Japan, Britons figure is quite BIG, I think.... :eek:

Why is HIV infections Low in Japan? comparing to UK or maybe others.

I don't remember where, maybe it was in the "Japan Times", I read that the numbers provided by the Ministry of Health on the HIV infection rate can be quite misleading. These numbers would be the number of "reported" cases. The Japan Times article said, that's why the real number could be ten times the reported cases since many people don't undergo testing. I don't know how these numbers are obtained in Britain though. (~_~;)汗汗

I must find the article!^^

According to Mainichi Wai Wai news, Japan is quite sexually immoral.
Ah, a thoroughly reputable source, I see. NOT!

Plus, Japanese newspapers often report about drug-related crimes these days.
And, these lead to HIV infections? Come again?

Why is HIV infections Low in Japan? comparing to UK or maybe others.
The number of reported cases is low. Gotta get tested to be recorded. No test, no data.

You mean .... All Britons have to get tested at hospital once a year or so?, while Japanese don't ?

Every person who gives blood in the UK is tested for HIV. When blood tests are made for any other reason, you have the option to have an HIV test. Many people have HIV tests to reassure their partners, since HIV can be contracted by ANYONE who has ever had sexual intercourse with ANYBODY. There is little or no stigma.

Knowledge and awareness of HIV/AIDS in Japan is ridiculously low. This is what the BBC said about it 4 years ago. Nothing much has changed.

So before you gloat over the figures of reported cases, Astroboy, consider that Japan, with its high promiscurity rate, low condom usage, and almost non-existent HIV monitoring scheme, could be in a serious situation.

Thanks, Taiko.

Furthermore, to answer Astroboy's question, I thought it was fairly clear, but perhaps I need to spell it out.

If people are not checked, there will be no report. Are they actually checked out in Japan? Perhaps not.
http://www.japanetwork.org/aidsnews/news06.html
2005 article by Associated Press
"Japan Reports Record Number of New HIV Infections in April-June"
Experts argue that cases in Japan are severely underreported, estimating the number to be two to four times the official toll.

I could cite reports on the growing numbers in Japan. I think 2006 had the highest number of cases up to that time. Of course, that was only for those who got tested. Just because Japan's population is higher than that of the UK, that doesn't necessarily mean more people get tested. Perhaps there are different cultural norms at work, and perhaps there are different laws requiring such testing.

I think the reports so far have shown that it is not drug users or gay men that are at the highest risk, either. Kind of surprising, but what I read said that it was heterosexual men who posed the greatest risk. Infer from that what you will. Are they truly hetero, for example? Or are they just making a lot more trips to HIV-infected areas (on sex trips)?

Find out before making sweeping generalizations.

2003 article
Japan only now confronting rising HIV rate / Women in sex trade most at risk
in Japan there is little access to correct information on sexual health

More than 60 percent of the newly infected are either teenagers or in their 20s, according to Masako Kihara, a well-known AIDS expert and adviser to the health ministry.

many Japanese believe it (HIV) is a problem only for poor Third World countries

Health experts predict the number of infected adults nationwide will jump to as many as 50,000 by 2010 because of a booming sex trade, declining condom use, increased sexual activity among young people, the lack of an effective government AIDS awareness program and the low status of women in Japanese society.

UNAIDS says only 6 percent to 25 percent of sex workers and the public use condoms.

Among Japanese who are infected, about 34 percent of heterosexuals and 17 percent of homosexuals contracted the virus during unprotected sex, 19 percent from tainted blood, 0.5 percent from unclean needles and 27 percent from unknown causes.

2004 report
http://www.jcie.org/researchpdfs/JapanResponseAIDS/Japansurvey.pdf
In the last decade, free HIV
testing at local health centers has become available in all the prefectures
throughout Japan, but the number of people undergoing testing is still
very small, only about 50,000 annually.
One of the reasons for low HIV testing rates is the limited office hours
of local health centers, which are open only during daytime hours and
weekdays and require appointments.

Another thing to consider is that Japan's population is aging. Fewer children are being born (in fact, the birthrate is actually negative). More people are entering the upper age bracket. Since HIV here is contracted largely as a sexually transmitted disease, that would reduce the number of cases.

Last edited:
UK National Blood Service says about The special problem of HIV and Hepatitis viruses as below:
• Every single blood donation is tested for HIV (the virus that causes AIDS) and hepatitis B and C.
• Infected blood isn't used in transfusions but our test may not always detect the early stages of viral infection.
• The chance of infected blood getting past our screening tests is very small, but we rely on your help and co-operation.
• People who carry these viruses may feel healthy for many years.
Page Unavailable - Give Blood - do something amazing give blood

Japan's HIV/AIDS inspection information center says ...
Japan Red Cross conducts rigorous inspection to detect HIV in order to block infections, but the inspection is not perfect as the blood of donors being within window period may pass the HIV inspection. Thus, Japan Red Cross advises people not to use blood donation for HIV/AIDS tests, but if you are concerned, you should go to designated centres for checkup.
HIV検査・相談マップ (only Japanese)

The above is also supported by "HIV-infected blood donor not detected by regular procedures: a case report" http://gateway.nlm.nih.gov/MeetingAbstracts/ma?f=102199632.html

Maybe .... UK National Blood Service conducts HIV/AIDS tests to detect all infected bloods including window period, which Japanese and US Red Cross do not implement yet.

Knowledge and awareness of HIV/AIDS in Japan is ridiculously low. This is what the BBC said about it 4 years ago. Nothing much has changed.
For the past years, it is said so. Theoretically it is time that we can see more HIV/AIDS patients in hospitals TODAY. But I wonder when it comes....

What does it matter if every single donor is checked in the UK? Your point was that there are more cases there than in Japan. Perhaps fewer people donate blood in Japan.

May I suggest that as many women do not use the 'pill' as a contraceptive, most people end up using condoms, which prevents HIV from spreading. Those are just my two cents, but it sounds logical.

Back
Top Bottom