What's new

Why do you like Japanese pop/rock music?

This is a topic I could go on and on about, but I'll spare you and keep it brief as possible 😌 Also... I'm more of a jrock fan so that is what I'm basing my explaination on. :p

There's so much to say, but I think I want to start with variety. It's probly the main reason I like jrock. It doesn't all sound the same. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of Japanese bands I've come across I find sound the same or are mediocre or just plain ****. You'll find that anywhere, but it's not quite so common in Japanese music that I've found so far. When I listen I get sense that the musicians understand the potential of their instruments. This where the variety comes from. Truly understanding the limitations of the instrument you play keeps the music from sounding repetitive or dull. For example, Shinya... the man is simply brilliant. I am blown away by his talent. I never thought much of drums till I discovered jrock, Dir en Grey in particular. I can't even fathom even being able to play half as good as the man even after years and years of practice. Just listen to their music and see how much he has improved... watch him play live... it boggles the mind. :mad: Just from Macabre to Kisou... the improvement is amazing. He just gets better as time goes on. I don't have to know him to know he knows his instrument.

Emotion. There is so much emotion in the music. So much heart is put into not just the vocals but you can hear it in the instruments as well. I can't help but be moved when I listen. I use the word catharsis to describe jrock because it's precisely what it is. A purging of emotions. I don't think there's a better word for it and I'll leave it at that cause emotions are... umm hard to explain. 😌 :D

The importance of composition is another thing that captivates me. I am a s-u-c-k-e-r (because it censors that word for some reason :eek: :D) for a album/mini-album/single that feels like it has a real start and finish to it. I'd like to stay on the topic of the importance of singles and mini-albums for a moment. Here in America we don't have them. I like them because you don't have to make a full legnth cd just to have some music out people don't forget you. Music is art and artist are never in a constant state of inspiration. You may write 3 songs in one day and go 6 months without being able to come up with something good. I think they are not only practical but essential. They empasize the point that it's better to make a few songs that are really good then make a few good songs and fill the rest of the album with crap just so you can have a nice long tracklist. If they did that then it would basically slaughter all the good efforts of those few worthwhile songs. Something some of you may notice about mini-albums, in particular indies mini-albums, is their structure. For the most part they begin with some sort of intro that sets the mood for the rest of the mini-album. There you go... composition! I love this idea because it gives that opening feel I absolutely adore. You get excited and anticipate what is to come. It's almost like a story... and when you get to that last song you feel like you've really reached an actual ending. You don't really expect another song because that song sounds like a final song. Singles... we used to have those here. :? They got rid of them years ago, though. Singles are great because of b-sides... gotta love b-sides. You get to see the music the band didn't feel fit in an album or mini-album or just perhaps what they were currently working on. Not to say they are bad... just that they weren't appropriate for the mood. It's nice to see what the bands been up to musically. Singles can be so exciting... especially when they are for stuff that hasn't already been released on a cd... its a taste of something that will be released in the future so you can listen and pine over the album or mini-album that is to be released.

Now onto the good stuff *licks lips* :D Lives... what would jrock be without lives. 😍 Seeing a band in their natural environment doing what they love. It provokes so much energy inside you. Unfortunately, I have not had the pleasure of seeing on for myself yet, but I own several live dvds and it's like you're really there. You're completely sucked into the tv screen. If they are that great and exciting on a dvd I can't even imagine the state of bliss I'd be in at a live. 😍 😇

PVs... probly the least important aspect, but they are icing on the cake and as you know because I say it so much... there's no shame in liking icing... I love icing! :D PVs are so much fun to watch and you get to see what the band looks like... 😊 oh... and I promise it's even more fun when you buy them and watch them on your tv. :p

I'll shut up cause I'll keep going and going... I think I hit all the important points. 😌

oh... and support your bands by buying there stuff! 👍 that is all... *runs off*

Hey PK, I totally forgot about the singles and mini-albums thing - that's a really good point. 👍 Wasn't Fukai a b-side? I can't believe that - it's a great song.

There aren't singles in the US? At all :?
There are in Australia..
Japanese artists release a lot of singles though, because there is a big market for that. Or so I heard.

Kinsao: fukai was indeed a b-side, and it's one of my favourite songs from Diru :p

hebiichigo said:
Kinsao: fukai was indeed a b-side, and it's one of my favourite songs from Diru :p

Same here! I love that song!

It seems the main reasons why people like Japanese rock (and maybe pop, too) over the Western, are that it is more "interesting" to listen to (the musicians display more of their skills, the music is more intricate/complex, the vocals are better, the bands are more diverse from each other and take influences from a wider range of sources, the songs have more variety in tone and texture within them, and the albums/mini-albums/singles have more consideration to composition within the larger scale), and, probably because of that, it is also "different" in sound from Western music.

Smaller but still important considerations and reasons for liking jmusic include the visual aspect - the attention given to creating a "whole image" as opposed to "just" songs, including the photoshoots and PVs which are works of art in themselves and naturally appeal to people of a "visual" turn of mind; and the live shows, which again have a strong visual aspect and which people seem to agree are more exciting and emotional than those of Western bands.

Another "secondary" consideration is of course the lyrics; the attractiveness of the Japanese language which in itself has a beautiful sound, and also the fact that translations into English tend to make the lyrics sound very poetic (whether they would have that effect on a native Japanese speaker I have no idea! 😊 ). Some people also find that not being able to understand the lyrics is a plus, because it enables them to focus on the music without being distracted by words which are inappropriate or just plain bad.

Kinsao said:
It seems the main reasons why people like Japanese rock (and maybe pop, too) over the Western, are that it is more "interesting" to listen to (the musicians display more of their skills, the music is more intricate/complex, the vocals are better, the bands are more diverse from each other and take influences from a wider range of sources, the songs have more variety in tone and texture within them, and the albums/mini-albums/singles have more consideration to composition within the larger scale), and, probably because of that, it is also "different" in sound from Western music.

Important points to consider there. I actually don't prefer Japanese over Western, because as I've said I don't find Japanese music "better" than Western in the aspects you summarized (at least non-mainstream Western, but there are even some mainstream Western bands that are good in my book), although my library is certainly overrepresented by Japanese music (which is to speak more about my habits of the past than current preference). I try to weigh them both equally now, and have been trying to build up my knowledge of Western bands since I've inadvertently deprived myself of that hemisphere's music for some time because of my bias in Japanese music, which I now try to avoid because it is exactly equivalent to a bias in Western music.

So I disagree with what people say that the songs are more interesting, more intricate, better sung, etc. That is not saying that Japanese music is different, as you mentioned, but another roundabout way of saying "better," which I find untrue.

Basically, I tend to find it undesirable to draw generalizations based on merely nationality. I love Japanese music of many types: jazz (Paris Match), some hard rock (some Dir en Grey), rock (L'arc en Ciel, although they can do everything, Luna Sea), R&B (Utada Hikaru), pop, ambient electronic (SUGIZO, Miu Sakamoto), pseudo-classical (Malice Mizer), some indies (Camino, SID), etc. I love Western music of all types, the indescribable (Tori Amos), hard (Tool, NIN, APC), indies (Sufjan Stevens), jazz (Al Di Meola, peter white), new age (loreena mckennitt, mehdi), classical (Debussy, Vivaldi), non-English/American (Kari Rueslatten, Henri Salvador), etc. So I find it hard to say that Japanese vocalists are generally better than Western vocalists. I am by no means trying to demean Japanese music (which is obvious from my posts, but just to clarify further to avoid misunderstanding from those who didn't get it), but I find it wrong to make certain generalizations. I tend instead to confront music from any nationality with the same level of appreciation, as long as the music is good.

hebiichigo said:
There aren't singles in the US? At all
Nope... they didn't sell too well so they did away with them. Man... singles I remember were a couple bucks like some as cheap as $4 and maybe as expensive as $8... jrock singles are so overpriced :mad:

pinkkillerkisou said:
Nope... they didn't sell too well so they did away with them. Man... singles I remember were a couple bucks like some as cheap as $4 and maybe as expensive as $8... jrock singles are so overpriced :mad:

I never even noticed that there aren't any singles anymore.

True, jrock singles are a bit on the overpriced side. The only one I'm proud of having is Gackt's Sekiray (which I misplaced somewhere). His other singles are just money ploys (at least the current ones, not the ones from his early solo days) since he includes his B-sides into his albums anyway.... (luckily not the KgMK "remix," though). Other than that, I don't keep up with singles on either side of the ocean....

uhm that sucks, well at least you are ABLE to buy them.
out here there arent any shops or online shops that sell them :-(

kinsao i have to agree with you.
lastmagi, i dont say that j-rock is better then western music. i most of the
time just sounds nicer in my ears. perhaps its just a fase in youre life.
like when you where a kid you liked cartoon music most.
In life you grow, not just in height but also in music style.
Look at diru, the have grown from indie to...... there style changed.

Perhaps i will always have a weakness for this kind of music, or at least for asia.
But for now i like the music, the style etc.

pinkkillerkisou said:

Interesting. The singles we have here are usually about $10+ (that's Australian currency :p ), I guess, although I don't buy much from local places anymore. I noticed the difference with Japanese singles was that one or more singles are released before an album in Japan, but here usually the album is released and then songs from the album are released as singles. That doesn't make much sense to me because people already have an album with those songs on it, but maybe it's extra promotion or something.
I don't think all Japanese singles are overpriced.. the average one is probably about 1,500 yen give or take some. I don't think that is too much 😌

Hmm good question. Alot of people would Like Japanese music for many different reasons. For me, it's just something different. Sure I get criticised, but i don't care, it's what I like. Alot of people say japanese/Asian music is 'weird', it's actually not, if they would take the time to listen to bands such as Dir en grey and Laruku. I generally like Japanese rock, only cause it is waaaay out and you know, different language. Personally I think that alot of music from here(Ireland/Uk) is very dire, and alot of Americain music. I listened to alot of X Japan at the beginning of my jrock addiction, because their songs I could refer too. Now i'm more all round(Diru, Laruku, do as infinify, miyavi, etc..) But Japanese generally have so much to offer all the time. In terms of Orchestral Japanese music, I like Joe Hisaishi and game music, cause i think it appeals to me. Dear Dear i've babbled on again! :sorry:

Noticed people talking about emotion. Yeah, the Japanese do put alot of emotion into their songs. Especially X Japan, gackt, Miyavi etc. Dir en grey are one of the most dedicated bands i know. I don't just mean vocals, but the instrumentalists as well, actually showing emotion etc. Most bands here don't really have that feature, MCFLY DOING ENDLESS RAIN?????? :eek:
Sorry bad example. *smacks himself for even mentioning McFly* XD

I also like the multi-genre bands have if you know what I mean. Dir en grey can do ballads/metal/heavy rock/alternative rock. X Japan had that, although must say I liked their ballads better. But i'm more of a rock person lol.

Endless Rain - X Japan
Forever Love - X Japan
Pieces - Laruku
Jealous -reverse- - Dir en Grey
Ain't afraid to die - Dir en Grey
Dearest, Fly High and Boys and Girls - Ayumi Hamasaki(acoustic 2002 orchestra)
First Love - Utada Hikaru.
Pop is Dead - Miyavi-san!

I think all these songs are unique in their own right, I haven't heard any western songs match them. I can't really give a good judgement on Japanese pop, i am into it, btu not as much as I am into it as Rock.

Another thing is the way they dress. I mean like you don't see Western bands in make up and dress unless it is Maryln Mansoon(who i actually like). In my own opinion this is interesting, just to look at for instance the...actually never seen a visual Kei PV. X_X Well Endless Rain PV was sort off a visual Kei video,and Brise by malice Mizer. Just seems interesting seeing Japanese culture on the actual performers, like Kagarou. Miyavi/MYV is a perfect example of this.

[/IMG]

one more thing - WHAT OTHER BAND DO YOU KNOW OF THAT CAN FILL UP THE TOKYO DOME OVER 8 TIMES??? XDXDXD
please note - I have many discographies. I listen to songs over and over again until I completely know all the instrument/vocal/lyrics parts, so i'm abit of a rock geek. 😌

Why do I like J-Pop/J-Rock?

Well, I think I started listening to Japanese music simply because it was something that was both Japanese and accessible. I am just insatiably curious about Japan (a topic too long to rant about here) and so seek out various ways I can feed that curiosity. J-Pop/J-Rock happens to be an easy way to enjoy something that is Japanese, whether going down to Kinokuniya and buying a CD or a PV DVD, or listening to music and watching videos (ahem 😊 ) online. I mean, I can't always go see kabuki or shop at Ginza, but I can always listen to the J-Pop/J-Rock that I have . . . this is how I got started.

I keep listening to a variety of J-Pop/J-Rock because the music has become kind of like a soundtrack for my life. There is always something in J-Pop/J-Rock that fits my mood or whatever I am doing. I wonder if that makes much sense . . . :?

One important thing, though . . . I still like all other kinds of music. There is good and bad music from every genre, age, region, etc. I hope to be able to appreciate music for its merits wherever it may be from . . . 😊

And, finally . . . Dir en grey is my favorite band! So, there! 😎

Why do I love J-Music? 'Cause it's simply better then the crap over here in the West. I've seriously had to stop listening to the radio. They'll play something brilliant like "My Immortal" by Evanescence but then right after that they play Kelly Clarkson are whatever and I'm just like, "eh-heh, no."
I could count the Western bands I like one my fingers whereas with J-Music I would need to borrow a few people's hands to count 'em all.
Also Japanese lyrics, even Pop lyrics, are WAY deeper then Western lyrics (with the exception of bands like Evanescence, Nickleback etc). All you hear over here is "Oh, baby, come back to me" crap but you pop in a J-album and are greeted with things like "Te no naka ni wa ai subeki hito sae mo, Hanabanashiku chitte, Te no naki ni wa ikita imi kizande mo, Munashiki hana to shiru" or "We'll say goodbye, Lost Heaven. How we longed for Heaven. We're letting go of something we never had. Time goes so fast, Heaven is lost".
And the music itself is better. The arrangments are just above and beyond Western music. And their voices! The Japanese have some of the most amazing voices that I have ever heard in my life!
So in short, Western music = bad, Japanese music = good.

Hyde_is_my_anti-drug said:
Why do I love J-Music? 'Cause it's simply better then the crap over here in the West. I've seriously had to stop listening to the radio. They'll play something brilliant like "My Immortal" by Evanescence but then right after that they play Kelly Clarkson are whatever and I'm just like, "eh-heh, no."
I could count the Western bands I like one my fingers whereas with J-Music I would need to borrow a few people's hands to count 'em all.
Also Japanese lyrics, even Pop lyrics, are WAY deeper then Western lyrics (with the exception of bands like Evanescence, Nickleback etc). All you hear over here is "Oh, baby, come back to me" crap but you pop in a J-album and are greeted with things like "Te no naka ni wa ai subeki hito sae mo, Hanabanashiku chitte, Te no naki ni wa ikita imi kizande mo, Munashiki hana to shiru" or "We'll say goodbye, Lost Heaven. How we longed for Heaven. We're letting go of something we never had. Time goes so fast, Heaven is lost".
And the music itself is better. The arrangments are just above and beyond Western music. And their voices! The Japanese have some of the most amazing voices that I have ever heard in my life!
So in short, Western music = bad, Japanese music = good.

I so agree! :p

LOL yeah I hate most Western music.

Bah me too! Its just not good enough. I am very picky about the music. I cant stand a band if it hasnt got a nice vocal :LOL: But well almost all western music is crap (no offense) i just cant stand that Britney, Green day, Christina and smiliar 😌

I don't really mind Green Day myself but yeay I hear ya.

Green Day is not like the worst but i dont like thier music. I always compare artists and comparing Green Day to some other artists makes me think ''Blah they are amaters'' 😌

Yeah, Greenday DON'T rock lol. Much prefer a glass of water and a GAUZE album than listen to Americain Idiot.

Eh, I like some american bands, but A lot of them really don't know what they're doing. (even though I think Orgy and Celldweller deserve a peek, Celldweller is one of the few american bands brave enough to wear skirts and dance at the same time...wait did I say few? They're probably the ONLY.) Well, they might know what they're doing, but they just...stand there and play. That's SO BORING to watch! Can't you like, at least smile or get into the music or move with the beat or something? If I'm going to dance around my room while wearing just a pair of pants and a baggy tee in the dark to your music, shouldn't you enjoy it as much as I do? REALLY?

Okay, before that goes into a rant... I'll show another point or two.

And here's something important. VOCALS. Kyo has a wonderful voice, Isshi has a wonderful voice, Ru-...you get the idea....
A problem with american bands that really needs to be fixed up is that some of these guys CAN'T SING. Like....you can at least try, I'm not that good a singer myself, but some of these people...ew. Okay, I'll admit that Sully Erna is good, but...but....ew! I was on the bus the other day, and the song on the radio, the guy who was singing sounded like he was having a heart attack or something. o_o;; How're you supposed to lose yourself in a song if the person is like....dying while they sing? Neeeh...or they sound, even when they're trying to be emotional, like they're holding their nose...

Gawds...I'm gonna go hide now.

Godrina!!:p I tottaly agree about what you've said! Jrock live preformances are very interesting and funny to watch. I would love to go on one myself when i am a bit older. Bet i would have a great time. :D

Back
Top Bottom