What's new

What is this song about? "Let's Go Kamisama"

Marcin

Registered
16 Jan 2017
Hi! Could anyone tell me what this song is about? I don't need an exact translation of this song, just what it's about. I can't speak nor write Japanese but I really need to find out.
Here is the link to the song: Spotify

Its called "Let's Go Kamisama" by Saito Mutumi.

You can hear the first 30 seconds here, Amazon.co.jp: レッツゴー神様!: 斉藤睦: デジタルミュージック
(or buy the track, but I wouldn't expect anyone to do that to answer the OP's question).

Only the last 12 seconds of the sample have lyrics.

I couldn't search up the lyrics and I couldn't really make sense of them. Most of it is just repeating まったくだまったくだまっぴらごめん but the important bits I'm having trouble catching all of and I'm really not interested in listening to this track more than once. (I did listen to the whole track since I have spotify on my desktop anyway).

The singer sang just a pun in the first 30 seconds. Hope the OP will come back and tell us why he wants to know the contents of the lyrics.

Thanks for the answers. I couldn't link to anything other than Spotify because its only available there and on Itunes. I wanted to know because we have a experimental music video project and chose this song.

No, as there is no reason for that since it's not for commercial use.

I spoke of courtesy, not legalities.

And legalities may very well be involved, since whether a use is commercial or not is irrelevant to copyright violation.

Last edited:
I spoke of courtesy, not legalities.

And legalities may very well be involved, since whether a use is commercial or not is irrelevant to copyright violation.
In the U.S. at least, section 110(1) allows the performance of musical (and other) works during a classroom session. The time the students are working on the project is allowed by fair use, as it's permissible to make derivative works like this in private, it's only a copyright violation to distribute them.

That's probably enough on its own, but given the likelihood that there is music played at school outside of the classroom, the school also very likely has a school would have an ASCAP blanket license.

Now, I've never lived in Norway or had reason to learn anything about Norweigan law but I would expect that they have similar arrangements. Most Berne convention signatories have extremely similar laws.

In any case, it's really the responsibility of the instructor to make sure everything is legal before assigning making a music video as a class project.

If the group wanted to distribute their video outside of class (by e.g., uploading it to youtube) that's when they need to be talking to the copyright holder. I don't know if in Japan that's more likely to be the artist or the record label.

For the U.S. model, there's a guide here https://www.american.edu/library/documents/upload/Copyright_for_Teaching.pdf, but again, details could differ in Norway.

Well, and the OP didn't actually use the word 'classroom', but 'we have an experimental music video project' sounds like a classroom assignment. If it's not in a class setting, then they would need to check on copyright arrangements before sharing the video with anyone outside the project team. Blanket licenses are likely in place to cover club activities inside academic institutions though.

I'm well aware the project might fall under fair use, which is why I pointed out that informing the original artist would be the courteous thing to do, as distinct from telling him that he is under legal obligation to obtain the artist's consent.

You wouldn't really expect that someone who is aware that the non-commercial nature of a derivitive work is insufficient to void the copyright protection of the original work is ignorant of the existence of Fair Use....would you? Give me a little credit.

Last edited:
Okay, well, as far as that goes, I don't see it as a particularly necessary or even desired courtesy. In this case it's a little different since the artist is obscure just the one letter wouldn't be a nuisance and might even be interesting to him, but just imagine the number of letters Paul McCartney or Billy Joel would get if people personally contacted them every time they did a classroom exercise using one of their songs.

It's just not something that people doing class projects do. Obviously projects for public release are different, even projects that fall under fair use. Weird Al and most other considerate spoof musicians contact the original artist before making a spoof song, for example. People using samples in electronic or rap music is a little more hit or miss but I think it certainly would be courteous to contact the original artist. For a class project... I just don't see it.

Okay, well, as far as that goes, I don't see it as a particularly necessary or even desired courtesy. In this case it's a little different since the artist is obscure just the one letter wouldn't be a nuisance and might even be interesting to him, but just imagine the number of letters Paul McCartney or Billy Joel would get if people personally contacted them every time they did a classroom exercise using one of their songs.

Since it has been blindingly obvious from the very beginning that we're talking about an obscure artist I don't see the point of dragging famous artists into the discussion.

Trust me...I was clever enough to notice we're talking about an obscure artist and I know about the fair use doctrine. I'm not half as śtupid or obtuse as you're giving me credit for being in this thread.

If I thought the artist successful I wouldn't have suggested a courtesy notification. I suggested it because the artist is obscure. Obscure artists have to run on scant notice and infrequent praise, not big bucks and constant adulation. If you like what do, tell them. If you were inspired by something they did and use it in something you do, tell them so they can enjoy it too and maybe spread it around. How is this not common sense and common courtesy?

Has common courtesy joined common sense in no longer being common?

I'm not calling anyone stupid. I'm just trying to lay out why this isn't ordinary practice for people doing class projects. It's also my custom when posting to try to lay things out clearly and in detail, bearing in mind that posts are read by far more people than the one I'm responding to. As such, yes, it's quite likely that things I'm saying now and that I will say in the future are clear to you or others that I might be responding to in the future. If you choose to take affront to that, that's at your discretion, but my writing habits are as they are for the benefit of all readers of a topic not just the one or two who might be actively engaged.

For a variety of reasons, I don't think it's necessary or customary to notify the artist when you do a class project.

In this case, since it is an obscure artist, yes, maybe you could go out of your way to contact them. However that's not 'common courtesy', that's an exceptional courtesy for an exceptional situation. (And potentially appreciated all the more if it's done).

I feel as if you were calling out the OP for behaving exactly the same as every other group in his class or in similar classes around the world. It would in fact be a nice thing to do, yes. But I don't believe it's something someone needs to be called to the carpet for not doing.

For a variety of reasons, I don't think it's necessary or customary to notify the artist when you do a class project.

Pretty much by definition nothing done out of a sense of obligation can be considered a courtesy.

But I don't believe it's something someone needs to be called to the carpet for not doing.

Are you saying that my simple asking him if he had contacted the artist was calling him on the carpet?

By the way, even though it is perfectly likely that this may be a class project we don't know that for certain; the OP hasn't said.

If that was not your intention, then I apologize. It is difficult to read tone through the internet and I may have misunderstood your intentions.

If that was not your intention, then I apologize. It is difficult to read tone through the internet and I may have misunderstood your intentions.

It was a suggestion.

Speaking as someone who has had his own content stolen and who has had others contact me regarding using my content, the latter is preferable by far.

The difference is like your kid's kindergarten putting on a play with your kid in it and telling you about it or not telling you about it. You know it isn't going to be great theater or generate any box office, but you'd at least like to know about it so you can go see what your kid did and maybe drag Grandma along too.

Back
Top Bottom