What's new

What do you do every morning?

The sun rises about 5 am and I'm still asleep then. You did ask me about sunrise.

Sunrise... It really is my favorite time of the day and wish I could wake up around that time but as I normally don't go to bed until 12 at night I can't really wake up at that time.

Whenever I go out for dinner or a party I hate taking that last train home, too early, so I normally party more and just walk home. At that time the sun comes up, the birds wake up and some cars and people starting to move...

But instead of saying during sunrise, which will be at 4:58 tomorrow, you mean: how do you spend your morning? Or just what do you do after you wake up?

4:58 AM, that's the time our doggies wake up and steadfastly demand breakfast. That means an early nightcap and an early rise which I find quite healthy and productive. Unfortunately, I can't remember my last all-nighter. Taking the first train nowadays means going to work early. 😉

Need to see pics of these dogs.

Our rascals at what they are best (after eating and causing mischief).

rascal1.jpg rascal2.jpg

Most mornings, either a little earlier or a little later, I find that I need to sit down for a while...

Through a friend in Okinawa, I was able to ask this question to a 10th dan Goju-ryu master, Tetsuhiro Hokama Sensei. His Answer:

Live with rhythm and have a regular schedule
Make a habit every morning to:

1. Drink two cups of room-temperature water
2. Massage the whole body to wake up
3. Tap your sternum with your fingertips
4. Brush your tongue before you brush your teeth
5. Stand on stone mat (reflexology) for 5-15 minutes
6. 300 push ups
7. Get some sun
8. Talk to other people.

He also said:
"Karate is martial art, meditation, technique of health, philosophy, way to live, self defense, science, and human engineering. Please use these essence as your way to health and life."

Here's an interview with him this past year.

Here's a video from when Steven Seagal visited Hokama Sensei's dojo. Sensei demonstrates some hojo-undō (work outs), and pressure point and joint locks.

This old video of Hokama Sensei demonstrates 5 joint locks and throw techniques.

Can't remember the last time I saw sunrise. It was most likely when I had traveled across the world and had jet lag.
As for that master's routine, he seems to be missing "check iPhone" from his list. Or maybe he does that when he's sitting on the can. :p

Can't remember the last time I saw sunrise. It was most likely when I had traveled across the world and had jet lag.
As for that master's routine, he seems to be missing "check iPhone" from his list. Or maybe he does that when he's sitting on the can. :p
My master's wife handles all of his communications via technology, which seems to suit them just fine. I guess that just leaves time for karate training, which really gives 腰入れる new meaning

Couldn't sleep last night so stayed awake until 6 while watching "iron man" and "Remember me".

Had a heavy thunderstorm for a few hours and an additional landslide alarm on top of that so no chance to see the sunrise today.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200725-033704.png
    Screenshot_20200725-033704.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 209
The only sunrise I've witnessed here in my ~15 years were ones during active duty with 0dark30 PT formation, drinking/partying until sunrise, and more recently, out of my party days (USMC), participating in the first sunrise of the year (2020).

I slept at 2 am today and woke up at 5am because of the baby in our house!! My head is not aching as I expected it to. But it was a busy yet weirdly calming morning.

Back
Top Bottom